Milky Oil

klencer

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
New to the TDI world. Checked the oil after changing out some components and found like a white mixture in the oil turning it all like a darker grey. Not really sure why. So far I have flushed the oil out from the first time and found the same mixture on the second refill. There is also condensation/moisture coming from the oil dipstick after the engine has been running for about 20 minutes. This oil mixture was not an issue before doing the maintenance. Looking for any advice into what the potential cause could be.

I just replaced the cam, water pump and timing belt. When I was going to take out the cam I took out the head bolts by mistake, I reinstalled them without moving the head. I also removed and cleaned the oil cooler, EGR and throttle body.

bbexotics

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat,2006 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon, 2017 Cayman S
Leaky head gasket, that’s what you have,when you removed the head bolts you screwed up. Will have to get a new headgasket

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
More likely would be a leaking oil to coolant heat exchanger.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPm8HwCFpNo

Just re-read your post. If you break loose head bolts, you will need to replace them and torque them in the proper sequence according to the maintenance manual. Head bolts are
TTY (Torque To Yield) and NOT reusable if they are loosened.

DO NOT run the engine until you have replaced the head bolts.

Last edited:

klencer

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Wouldn't the heat exchanger exchange fluid both ways so there would be traces in the coolant and oil if there was a bad seal?

bbexotics

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat,2006 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon, 2017 Cayman S
Nope,when you loosened the head bolts you messed up the seat of headgasket. Did you use right torque on head bolts? Even if you did it’s probably still messed up

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Pretty sure that bbexotics nailed it. Head bolts are one time use stretch bolts and the OP "reinstalled them"...

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
This is a very common newbie mistake when doing the cam. The head has to be removed, deck and head surface cleaned and put back together with a new head gasket and new bolts with the proper procedure.

This is sometimes the cost of doing things yourself. You’ve about tripled the length of the repair now but it has to be remedied correctly or you will have problems as you are now. Better drain your coolant and get the head off in case any coolant got into your cylinders. It will rust and destroy your block if left too long. What you can do before taking it apart is drain the coolant, leave the bottle cap off and start the engine for a minute or so to burn the coolant out of the cylinders.

When you order your head gasket take it of the number of holes in your original gasket. There are 3 options for the gasket 1, 2 or 3 hole. Good luck.

Last edited: