What VCDS ?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Which one of these will do the de-pressurize command on the fuel system?
I'm not certain what you mean by "do the de-pressurize command on the fuel system", but I do know what you need. Since you have a Mk6 you need an interface compatible with CAN bus communications. The software (and commands you can do) is the same no matter which cable you have. You could get by with the MicroCAN if you only want to be able to talk to your own car or other Mk5s and Mk6s. If you want to be able to talk to older VWs as well, you will want a HEX-USB+CAN interface cable ($100 more).

Have Fun!

Don

SKIN

TDI
Golf MK6
I'm not certain what you mean by "do the de-pressurize command on the fuel system"
When you do your own service and you want to replace the fuel filter for instance. There is a way you need to tell the computer to de-pressurize the high pressure fuel system. Will these VAGCOM adapters do that, or do you need a higher level computer service system to send that command to the ecu?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When you do your own service and you want to replace the fuel filter for instance. There is a way you need to tell the computer to de-pressurize the high pressure fuel system. Will these VAGCOM adapters do that, or do you need a higher level computer service system to send that command to the ecu?
Yes, any version of VCDS will easily run your fuel pumps to prime the fuel system. I was just a little confused by your terminology. This does not actually de-pressurize the high pressure system (you really do not want to do this unless you need to replace an injector or something like that). What it does is to run both electric fuel pumps to fill the filter canister and to purge air out of the low pressure side of the fuel pump. It is the low pressure side of the fuel pump that is cooled and lubricated by the fuel and it is the low pressure part of the HPFP that fails.

Simple answer is yes it will work. All versions of VCDS will do all of the things that the others do. The way the software performs is almost identical no matter which Ross-Tech interface cable you use.

Have Fun!

Don

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Multiple postings are frowned upon here. Your answer is in the document you linked to and in your other thread. If you are still unsure find someone with the tool and try it. I know for certain the egr thing will work as I have done it to several cars. I believe you are having a communication problem with RT.

austi012

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle TDI
Multiple posting, yes... with a functional reason. Not gratuitously spamming the board. Once in a thread that may be ignored by the vendor, one in a thread where the vendor regularly appears.

InSaNeBoY

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW
Question on the lite version. I'm 100% mac person so I've never really looked into Vag-com software much at all(other then asking a few times if they're going to make a Mac version).

In any case while clearing my uncle's garage I came upon my grandfather's old IBM Thinkpad. I got it running and installed the shareware version, seems to work so I got a cheap dongle and it read data. Didn't do much beyond that put the laptop away and forgot about it, this was probably about a year ago.

Now I'm having occasional limp mode issues and thinking this might help get a clearer idea as to whats going on? I'm wondering will the shareware version tell me what I need to know? If not and I do need to buy a license, from what I understand it's linked to one computer. What if I need to a clean reinstall the OS or if the computer dies do I have to buy it all over again?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
The only answer is maybe.
If you can connect and get a good read on all stored codes, that should get you started.

InSaNeBoY

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW
The only answer is maybe.
If you can connect and get a good read on all stored codes, that should get you started.
That I'll have to check, last time I tried it I didn't have limp mode/stored codes :p I have a little handheld OBDII reader to scan for codes, which is a little less cumbersome then a laptop, external battery and OBDII cable :D

I know it shows the modules, I can see some real time data(don't remember what I looked at, I was just playing around and it was a year ago), never tried any logging...

jef@rosstech

Associate Ross-Tech Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 Dog hauling, wood towing, pinball stashing Jetta wagon
VCDS-Lite in the shareware mode will not decode all the fault codes. It will list the codes, but not give the descriptions.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Functions

If a person purchases VCDS-Lite and the computer crashes, and said person formats the hard drive and reinstall the same OS, then the same activation file that was sent at time of purchase can be reused since it will be the same computer.

Now if you change out hardware in the computer, then it is possible that the activation will no longer work. Ross Tech does allow one, and only one, transfer of the VCDS-Lite license if needed.

Also, customers who purchased VCDS-Lite, if their needs change and they need a Ross Tech interface, we will give them full credit for the VCDS-Lite purchase towards a Ross Tech interface.

InSaNeBoY

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW
VCDS-Lite in the shareware mode will not decode all the fault codes. It will list the codes, but not give the descriptions.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Functions

If a person purchases VCDS-Lite and the computer crashes, and said person formats the hard drive and reinstall the same OS, then the same activation file that was sent at time of purchase can be reused since it will be the same computer.

Now if you change out hardware in the computer, then it is possible that the activation will no longer work. Ross Tech does allow one, and only one, transfer of the VCDS-Lite license if needed.

Also, customers who purchased VCDS-Lite, if their needs change and they need a Ross Tech interface, we will give them full credit for the VCDS-Lite purchase towards a Ross Tech interface.
Good to know and awesome you credit the price of the lite version toward the full version! At this point the laptop I have doesn't meet the requirements for the full version, which is the main reason I'm only looking at the lite version for now.

sardawg

TDI
10' Golf TDI
Does the VCDS software from Ross-Tech allow coding changes to the various control modules or would I need to look for dealer level software to do this?

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
VCDS will do coding - it's a full function tool. About the only thing it won't do is pull immo codes on recent cars, and that was by choice by Ross Tech so VCDS didn't become a tool used for car theft.

- Tim

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
VCDS will do coding - it's a full function tool. About the only thing it won't do is pull immo codes on recent cars, and that was by choice by Ross Tech so VCDS didn't become a tool used for car theft.

- Tim
I'm not sure that is true. Chip tuners re-code things like fuel maps that VCDS will not. Even the simple EGR delete is not the same, VCDS will turn it back, but the tune can eliminate it.
VCDS is a complete replacement for the equipment the dealers use to service cars.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
I tend to refer to tuning more as programming, since it's a change to the ECM flash. Configuring modules/options/features etc. is typically referred to as coding. IE coding a new door module to the car on replacement . . .

- Tim

foodking

TDI
2006 Jetta DSG
So I'm a little confused on what I should be buying from Ross-Tech. So here's the list of VWs my family owns,

B5 Passat TDI
mk5 Jetta TDI
mk5 Jetta TDI sportswagon
B6 Passat VR6

To support the B5 my brother drives, I'll need the HEX-USB+CAN.
I could be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere on these forums that the HEX-USB+CAN can't do everything on the 2005.5 and newer so a Micro-CAN is needed.

According to http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/Micro-CAN.php, the Micro-CAN "does not support Turbo Mode, the Clear All DTCs function or Activating/De-Activating Transport Mode. A HEX-USB+CAN is needed for those functions."

Does this mean even if I say screw you to my brother, I'm still stuck purchasing both?

In addition, where does the HEX-NET fit into this? does the HEX-NET encompasses both? The video mentions a cable included to plug the HEX-NET directly into a laptop, but their page doesn't mention a cable. Can anyone who purchased a HEX-NET confirm if a cable is included?

Sorry there are a lot of questions here. I just want to make 1 purchase that'll cover all my bases instead of back-tracking. Any help is appreciated.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
The Micro will cover all the newer CanBus cars. Add $100 more, to get the the Hex+Can and you include the older non CanBus cars back to 1996.

I don't need it, the Micro would have been just fine for my A5 Jetta, but I got the Hex+Can just to add compatibility for the older non CanBus cars.

If you purchase the $249 Micro or the $349 Hex+Can, both come with the cable you need that plugs into your laptop. Most likely, the only difference in the two versions is the license that is embedded in the cable.

I know very little about Hex+Net. I think it is just the next generation of VCDS that is a more expensive version that includes wireless capability and the ability to use VCDS on your smart phone.

Last edited:

foodking

TDI
2006 Jetta DSG
Thanks! that clears it up. I'm hoping to get a response from someone who has purchased the HEX-NET

Edit: A quick search on youtube reveals that the HEX-NET does indeed come with a usb cable.

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
If your not sure, just contact Ross Tech, they're very helpful (especially with sales).
With 4 Vdubs, it just might be worth the $350-400 it'll cost

MalinoR

TDI
2009 Jetta, 6 spd stick, 150K
Aren't there other options besides Ross Tech?

I'm a total newbie to TDIs, had a couple old MBs running on WVO, but nothing as sophistocated as these newer VWs. I bought it with 150K mi and the CEL on. I've had the codes read from AZ and Oreilly's several times now trying to track down my exhaust pressure and glow plug fault issues. I can see that I will need a VAG or OBD scanner of some sort.
I'm disappointed that this thread has only discusses the Ross-Tech product. I'm sure its great, but I'm not paying $350! Are there no other OBD-II software programs or handheld scanners that will do the job?
Specifically I know that I'll be replacing my exhaust pressure sensor(s) this weekend and have read that I need to program the car's computer to recognize the new sensor and that is done with a VAG com... have to input a code that the VAG com gives...I dunno. Will the Bosch scanner at Oreilly's do this? or is this only something that can be done with a VW specific product like the Ross Tech?
Sorry for the ignorance but I'm reading each night till 2 am trying to figure this out before the weekend gets here.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
There are but they cost way more than this tool. If you are going to work on your car you need VCDS. There are things which can't be done without a tool like this. Or will cost you more in time and money trying to fix or replace more parts than needed. One other option is if you have someone near you that has one and will work with you. Check the list. I do this quite often for people near me.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
is there someone in near chicago area that can do some simple customs for me, like turn off the DRL's and horn when locked? I don't want to buy the VCDS, im on a budget. What other recommendations you got , if not..
According to this Vag-Com locator, there are 38 people in the Chicago area who have VCDS and are willing to help others.
http://www.maptive.com/ver3/VCDS_Locator

Have Fun!

Don

leadfoot69

TDI
1984 jetta,2000 jetta 2013 jetta
with the hex-can and 15.7 vcds will i be able to program a new key to my 2013 jetta or do i need something else to get code out like in my 2000 jetta i had?
thanks

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
Just tried my HEX CAN USB on my new 2016 Golf , no go

I suspect I need the HEX NET interface for another $449 and limited to 10 cars
And there's no mention about being able to trade in your old interface

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Contact Uwe at Ross Tech, he will give a better price if you bought from him in the past.
Try begging.
He may want your old unit.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
I send them a scan of the car , it is only the engine module that is not recognized
Suggested a beta software release