My Touareg Search...need some advice

NC-TDI

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS, 2004 Jetta Sportwagen TDI GLS
Ok, I've found 2 Touaregs that I am trying to decide between purchasing and want some input from you all since I am new to the Touaregs, not new to TDIs, but new to the T'reg.

One is a 2006 with 52,000 miles fully loaded except for heated steering wheel. It is silver/grey interior and shows a good bit of wear and tear. The wood panels on the inside of the back seat are pretty scratched up and there's a few small scratches and dings on the outside. We would be the fourth owner of this vehicle and it comes with an extended warranty to 75k miles. According to the current owner, it will probably need brakes in the next few months. This one is $30,500

Option 2 is a 2007 with 82,000 miles. It is White with the dark brown leather interior. This one is is pristine shape and looks brand new. It does not have 4 zone climate control or heated REAR seats, nor does it have the locking rear differential. We would be the second owner of the car and the tires and brakes have just recently been replaced. There is no extended warranty with this vehicle . This one is $26,000

Both vehicles are in good mechanical shape, no accidents and both have maintenance records. Once is close by, and one would require some travel/shipping to get home.

I am just trying to make an educated decision. We will pay cash for which ever we choose. I like the white/brown combo better than silver/grey, but the white one has more miles and no extended warranty.

I know there were a lot of problems with the 2004's with the turbos and what not, but I can't find too many problems with the 2006 or 2007s...

IF we had to sell the vehicle in the future, it looks like the white ones are a little more sought after, but I guess color really is just personal preference.

So, what do you guys think...is the extended warranty really worth it? I know these are expensive to repair, but we have a good relationship with a local guru and my husband works in an engine shop has a lot of experience with motors...I know this is quite different than our current Jetta TDI as the motor has to be dropped to get to the turbos, and do a lot of engine work...

I'm open to any feedback and thanks in advance for your input!!

CsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 TouaregTDI, '15 JettaTDI
the 06s didn't come with heated steering wheel. there is a fully loaded pristine 06 white/beige interior below with 69k miles and a warranty. The Touaregs don't fall apart but you want to be prepared for the worse case scenario and repairs will eventually need to occurr as with any machine. There are also lots of computers and electronics on these, but if the guru can handle it, then you would appear to have your bases covered. The basic maintenance is higher but if you have the cash, then would appear to also not be an issue

http://www.lindsayvolkswagen.com/us...-Touareg-c438c5b80a0a006400dc60af8329fffd.htm

Last edited:

Yeti35

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
Something to keep in mind, even though you are getting them for $30K or less, you are still buying what was essentially a $70K vehical new and does have costly repairs if needed. As an example, if one of the Turbo's goes out, the motor must be dropped to replace them since there is no room to work around it to replace them while still installed in the vehical. Point number two, if one turbo goes out it is generally considered a good idea to replace the other one while the motor is out so as not to tear it back out again in a few months to do it again. If you have money set aside or are comfortable enough to be able to take on a repair like this, then by all means buy one of them. The V10 is relatively reliable, but there have been a few instances of turbos going out and this is not a shade tree mechanic job to take on unless you truly have the proper equipment to do so. If you can get an extended warranty on either of them it is worth the money unless as I said earlier your means for repairs is not an issue. This is way more involved then a Jetta TDI.