Dual mass flywheel goes bad

Crosley

TDI
Sold
2006 Jetta , 66k miles, DSG transmission. Car was built in July 2005.. If the noise I hear is not the flywheel going south , I don't know what it is. LOL

noise only happens cold. After the vehicle is driven several miles the noise is gone.

I've got the car up on my car hoist, bottom plastic cover is off. Noise is coming out of the flywheel area. It is not the starter hanging up and banging against the flywheel..

It looks like I have most of the tools for the job. These green headed bolts are probably torque to yield stuff?

I guess I need to chase down a flywheel before I pull the DSG transaxle out.

I do not see the need to take the car to the dealer and spend $$ for them to tell me the flywheel is bad , replacement will cost $$$$ = no warranty

Rod Bearing

Veteran Member
TDI
Several
Park it ASAP and get it towed to the dealership. Don't mess around babying it along.

Mine just blew apart recently, and it took the transmission (DSG) with it. It
locked up so violently that the cam belt could not stop the inertia of the spinning cam and it jumped 4 teeth, bending 3 valves and ruining 3 pistons.

My car went from the best thing in the world to a useless (for now) scrap heap in about 3 seconds.

I'm getting a new power train. (Engine and DSG Trans)

robbinsresort

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI, 85 Golf n/a Diesel
Rod Bearing said:
Park it ASAP and get it towed to the dealership. Don't mess around babying it along.

Mine just blew apart recently, and it took the transmission (DSG) with it. It
locked up so violently that the cam belt could not stop the inertia of the spinning cam and it jumped 4 teeth, bending 3 valves and ruining 3 pistons.

My car went from the best thing in the world to a useless (for now) scrap heap in about 3 seconds.

I'm getting a new power train. (Engine and DSG Trans)
Wow!!! That's amazing that it took out practically everything. I'm assuming it's under warranty? Is it at Autobahn?

As for the OP, he's got 66k miles, so no warranty for him (sorry). I guess he could try to change out the flywheel. I don't know a thing about DSG's, could this actually be done?

Rod Bearing

Veteran Member
TDI
Several
The engine was repairable. It would have been more money than replacing it though. The DSG wasn't hurt internally, in fact they looked and said it was like new. There was a hole and a long crack in it where the flywheel spit it's guts out. But transferring used internals into a new case was more than it costs for a new one.

In this case they'd be relying on a technician to do the engine, and another to do the DSG and then depend on their skill to produce something that would be reliable. From what I read there are very few VW Dealer Mechanics who can be trusted to change wiper blades. So expecting someone working in a VW dealership to transform my stuff into warrantable, reliable condition would be like expecting Bush to finally learn to speak english.

The hours involved to swap guts isn't a smart money decision.

It's not at Autobahn, nor any other DFW area dealership.

Crosley

TDI
Sold
I checked on the price of the updated flywheel at the dealer. I used a part number I found on this site.

$678.00 is cost on the flywheel unit.

:eek:

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
Excuse my lack of knowledge, but what is a DSG?

Is that a manual tranny with a clutch or one of those automatics that you can shift manually if you desire???

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
I just put a new one in an 05.5 with 97k. He had issues while still under warranty, but apparently, they were unable to find it. Once it became very bad, he brought it back in and was denied due to mileage. The reason I am writing this is that should anyone see this thread and feel they have this problem, insist upon a final diagnosis, you you will be stuck with the bill....which isnt fair.

Windjammer

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 & Mk5
mrchill, what is the estimated cost of replacement including labor? Could you see a problem with the old dmf & did the new dmf look upgraded in any way?

Crosley

TDI
Sold
My flywheel is noisy at start up... when the vehicle is warmed up the flywheel noise was gone.

I found the proper tri-square tools today. The process to remove the DSG has started.

:cool:

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
I couldnt find a diffrence in the design. No part number change either. In fact, this one shows no damage whatsoever....so whatever it is..its inside the wheel. Its about 1350 to do. Takes a day.

Crosley

TDI
Sold
Bought the new flywheel today.

old on left , new on the right... they do not look too much different.

new updated part number is printed on the new flywheel... both are made by LUK

:cool:

flipside

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
03G 105 266 R which is superceded by 03G 105 266 AP which is superceded by 03G 105 266 BE. 03G 105 266 BE was installed on my vehicle when the DMF granaded and put a hole on the DSG bell housing. The transmission was also replaced. Luckily all were covered under warranty. I am hoping the new one fixes the problem.

Anyone have problems with the new DMF yet?

Wags TDI

TDI
2005.5 Jetta, 5 SP, Package 1, Gray
My flywheel was also faulty on my 2005.5 Jetta, replaced almost 2 years ago now. There was obvious "play" in the flywheel when it was removed. All work done under warranty at a local dealership. I've got 60K+ miles on the new one with no problems, first one didn't last 30K.

Strack

Veteran Member
My DMF and complete clutch assemby was replaced under warranty at 47K miles a few months ago. There was play in the DMF assembly and it was making a thumping noise at shutdown. The dealer claims that the new DMF is of an improved design, reflecting a different part number than the previous unit.

Does anyone know if VW is using a DMF in the new 2009 TDI model? This new engine has tons of torque and will wipe out a weak flywheel asssembly pretty quickly if it lacks integrity or is of a poor design/construction. I hope this problem has been resolved for everyone's sake....

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I have RC 2 in mine and slightly more power than the new 2009 Jetta. My clutch is holding fine. Increased power is only a problem when not used properly. No clutch issues to date at 52k miles. Chipped at 12k miles.

nutdriver

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2006 (Previously NB 2000)
It would be interesting to see posts on the vehicle manufacturing dates of cars experiencing this flywheel failure. This might give some indication as to whether the newer parts really resolve this problem.

Strack

Veteran Member
MY vehice was built on or about June 28, 2005, it is a 2006 model. I don't know when VW supposedly changed the design of the original DMF, but this should be interesting...

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
nutdriver said:
It would be interesting to see posts on the vehicle manufacturing dates of cars experiencing this flywheel failure. This might give some indication as to whether the newer parts really resolve this problem.
All ready done in the A5 DMF failure thread I believe. Long read though.

nutdriver

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2006 (Previously NB 2000)
Lightflyer1 said:
All ready done in the A5 DMF failure thread I believe. Long read though.
I had recalled the thread although I could not find it when searching. Does anyone have a sense of whether there is any magic line of build date after which there is little evidence of failure?

Crosley

TDI
Sold
I finished the replacement of my DSG flywheel on saturday.

There is about 150 miles on the car so far. Flywheel is quiet.

I am going to pull apart this old flywheel to see what is going on with it.

Crosley

TDI
Sold
FYI:

Not sure if you folks are interested.

I disassembled the dual mass flywheel today. There are 8 rivets to drill out to separate the main 2 sections

I see an area where the metal to metal contact may be. I do not have a lathe large enough at home to machine the flywheel section apart to have a look see.

the two main parts

this photo shows to the 2 spots I believe are the limiting detents where the center ring would hit as it moves back and forth to dampen vibrations.. that is just a WAG.

The short yellow lines point to spots that appear to be heat treated. This may be the contact spot where the flywheel starts hitting metal to metal.

THis photo shows the plastic material that is sandwiched between the two plates.

doonboggle

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta w/Taktonic 6sp. transmission, Silver; 1981 Rabbit pick-up
Oh how familiar....

Here's my recent story ... http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=222777

Luckily we still had some time left on the warranty. Replaced the whole clutch and flywheel system. It was so buggered up that they took pictures and I presume sent them to VOA. Was the Sachs system ... that is out there on the TSB I mentioned in the above thread.

p_ferlow

TDI
09' Jetta TDI Revo tune 6spd, 01' F250 7.3L "tuned"
With the reading I've done, flywheel weight is critical with the TDI's.

For my wife's 2000 1.8T New Beetle I got the clutch kit from http://www.ecstuning.com/ for around $350 if I remember correctly. Clutch modulation very good with new one. Single mass kit with flywheel, disc, pressure plate. I dunno if they do a diesel version. Dealer wanted $1000+ just parts. LOL
ECS unit supposed to take 350lbft or more.
--------------------
quote: "This is a thread about a DSG DMF failure!!!"

Ooops, my bad. Anyway, if you need A4 flywheel check out ECS.

Last edited:

Windjammer

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 & Mk5
This is a thread about a DSG DMF failure!!!

Crosley, Thanks for the pictures. How long did it take you to do the swap?