Newbie Post-Many questions!!

Parkboy

TDI
Golf 2002 silver
Just joined the site. Incredible site for TDI info, best I have ever seen,excellent. I have my first TDI, 02 Golf.Here are may few question on them.

1. Oil... Where does one get these wierd engine oils in Canada, Alberta??? See none at Crappy Tire etc.

2. EGR mod... why if this is so highly recommended,why cant you get it done or even more so, isnt VW themselves doing this for TDI owners???

Parkboy

TDI
Golf 2002 silver
I have read the EGR mod stuff till I was blue but I never saw an answer to why VW doesnt do this for TDI owners. There must be a reason.

arootbeer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GLS TDI White/Black
The reason it's there in the first place is to better the emissions values of the engine (especially when running the crappy diesel we're using over here). If VW were to do that for customers, they'd be in violation of the EPA standards and face hefty federal criminal charges, among other things... /images/graemlins/eek.gif

Parkboy

TDI
Golf 2002 silver
What about Canada laws, are all TDI's set the same for emissions in US/Canada. I think we can have more emissions than say in California?? Can a dealer tell easily if EGR mod is done?

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
[ QUOTE ]
Parkboy said:
What about Canada laws, are all TDI's set the same for emissions in US/Canada. I think we can have more emissions than say in California?? Can a dealer tell easily if EGR mod is done?

[/ QUOTE ]

A year ago I would have said:"Of course they can! They have a cool, hyperexpensive scanning tool".

Now I say:"If you are one of the lucky ones that actually has a competent guy messing with your car, he MIGHT spot it. Otherwise...forget it. They won't see a thing."

However, after the garage does work, such as TB change it would be wise to check if the EGR mod is still active, because they seem to reset certain values (maybe not "they" but their scanner).

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Well when you do the EGR mod you can turn it down to a quaisi legal level, or you can go to the "off road" level. Mine is at the quaisi legal level and my EGR is nice and clean at 58000 miles. But equally important is keeping oil fumes out of the EGR/Intake. Check out this cool CCV filter: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showflat.php?C...rt=4#Post573745 I am prototype tester #19, so you can buy this knowing that 25 TDI fanatics tested it!!