BHW flap motor wiring

Dr. Greenthumb

Veteran Member
TDI
05' Passat GLS 95' Merc E300D
I've had a CEL on for this for a while. I checked the continuity and found that pin 1 and 3 had continuity, pins 2 and 4 did not.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal? Any ideas for checking the wiring for breaks?

After the connector was put back on, the CEL went out for a day.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Do not know about which is which. I can tell you that with 100% success rate a new regulating flap (throttle flap, whatever you like to call it) fixed any DTCs related to them on a BHW. And I have probably replaced 50+ of them over the years.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
Mine doesn't show a CEL and engine seems to run normal, but I get this from a VCDS scan..

19558 - Motor for Intake Manifold Flap (V157)
P3102 - 000- No Signal

After clearing the codes, it shows up again. I take it I need to replace my flap.

highmileage

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat bhw tdi (presently), 2001 jetta alh tdi (previously), 1998 jetta ahu tdi (previously)
I get the 19558 code on a scan, but it never seems to light the cel on its own. The code seems to return at various time intervals after it has been erased. There is a PDF that explains that the two contacts inside the cover lose their grip producing the DTC. Tightening these tends to keep the dtc away for a longer time, but it does seem to return. I would guess engine vibration loosens the connection. I guess at a certain point it will need replace lent. My concern would ultimately be that the flap would stay closed, thus not allowing the engine to start. I would appreciate the pros to chime in with their experience and indicate the probability of the flap remainng shut. Is it a frequent occurrence? Thanks in advance. Some have also advocated cleaning the flap, but I think the 19558 code is more electrical than mechanical.

Dr. Greenthumb

Veteran Member
TDI
05' Passat GLS 95' Merc E300D
Do not know about which is which. I can tell you that with 100% success rate a new regulating flap (throttle flap, whatever you like to call it) fixed any DTCs related to them on a BHW. And I have probably replaced 50+ of them over the years.
I will pull up the code. When opened the valve up to make sure everything ok inside, it had oil pooling in it. Have you seen that before?

oilhammer

TDI
I can tell you that with 100% success rate a new regulating flap (throttle flap, whatever you like to call it) fixed any DTCs related to them on a BHW. And I have probably replaced 50+ of them over the years.
You need a new one.

oilhammer

TDI
What actually goes bad in the assembly?
Usually the potentiometer does not read correctly, and usually it is caused by wear across the contacts and/or oil/soot over time migrating up the shaft getting in the electronics.

The BEWs for whatever reason are less prone to this problem than the BHWs and BRMs. BRMs are the worst, and the replacements are actually made by a different company.

oilhammer

TDI
No oil in valve = No CEL....Oil in valve = CEL
Thanks for the reply.

Well, not necessarily. I do not take them apart generally. I simply do not have time for that, people want their cars fixed.

For all I know, many of them have oil seeped up inside them but so far still work OK. My BHW's is original at 185k miles. I'm not about to take it apart to look inside, and the day I have a problem with it manifested with the MIL on and a subsequent DTC relating to it, I'll put a new one on.

I think in this case, the OP is over analyzing the situation. Which is sometimes fun (we do that a lot here) but the fact of the matter is, sometimes stuff just wears out, and needs to be replaced. If I took every single broken/failed component apart, I'd never get anything done here. :p

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
So, I have the 19558, and P 3102, no signal and P 3101, open or short to ground.

New throttle body to fix it?

Ebay has them for around 100.00 Any good?

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
I ended up replacing mine with a new VDO unit. Tried to follow that .pdf I posted. Took off the cover and the main board there tore out with it. oops..

Can't speak for the eBay $100 unit, but if it's a VDO or Pierburg, that's a great price.

oilhammer

TDI
My cost on the VDO unit is nearly $270, and I can buy at wholesale. So I very much doubt any $100 part on eBay is anything but Chinesium.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Isnt the anti shutter valve deleted in many tunes? Ive heard they were to prevent a run away diesel however synthetic motor oil already reduces that and my guess is if you have that much ring and/or turbo blow by on a BHW it's going to be so gutless you'd need a runaway condition just to limp home.

300 to 400 bucks would pay for a decent tune!

Just thining outloud, oil hammer should be able to better enlighten me on this subject.

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
Isnt the anti shutter valve deleted in many tunes? Ive heard they were to prevent a run away diesel however synthetic motor oil already reduces that and my guess is if you have that much ring and/or turbo blow by on a BHW it's going to be so gutless you'd need a runaway condition just to limp home.
300 to 400 bucks would pay for a decent tune!
Just thining outloud, oil hammer should be able to better enlighten me on this subject.

It’s not a requirement to delete with a tune and it’s an adventageous part to keep to save from a runaway.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Right but many vehicles dont have this from the factory and run away diesels dont run well on synthetic oil which is the only oil you need to be using in a tdi.

Wouldn't the chances of brake failure be greater than a run away? IE a run away being a very rare like 1 in a million chance?

Until i got the passat i had never had an anti shudder valve in any of the diesel swaps I've used. I have no idea id my 7.3 ex has one, if it does i have not seen it. Boats equipped with factory diesels in some applications have a charged system where if there was a run away situation it would essentially flood the engine with a press of an emergency stop button.

Im just wondering aloud if this is a safety requirement that is a little redundant and dare i say...almost useless.

What would the ecu in a bhw do if it had the pedal at idle position and read rpms and boost at or near WOT?