How do you drive your TDI?

GreekDiesel

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI [ALH]
Looking for specifics on how to achieve best fuel mileage. I shift at around 2,500-3,000 RPM to avoid 'build-up', especially with city driving. Let me know your techniques.
Cheers,
Nick.

eparker202

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Beetle Convertible 6MT TDI
I do mostly town roads, 10-20 miles at 40-45 mph with some highway (20%). I usually shift around 2k in the 05 wagon. Every once in awhile i will run up to 3-3.5k with a good amount of throttle, maybe once a week. I havent had any "build up" issues in 145k miles and my 1999.5 tdi didnt have any issues for 190k miles (traded for new car in 09). Both were checked for soot build up in the intake, never checked the turbo in either car but never felt like i was losing power. lifetime average has been 47 for the 05 and 49 for the 99.5.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
In my 2000 beetle, for best mileage I shifted around 2000 rpm. Best mileage I ever got was 56 mpg with cruise set at 60 mph, which had me right around 2000 rpm for an almost 600 mile round trip to the outerbanks and back the same early spring day. Limited ac and closed windows and sunroof. Also just had fresh oil and tire rotation.

For best fun, I shifted around 4000 rpm. ;)

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
my best so far has been 55mpg but I am usually around 42, this tank is in the crapper at maybe 35mpg. I did a bunch of vag logs and few races with buddies etc. I need more fuel !

CustomShirt

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GLS
I drive this diesel like I drive all my diesels... shift around 2k... accelerating onto the freeway around 3k...
Have not had it long enough to really judge fuel economy, but it should find itself somewhere around where it is now with my mixed bag of driving.
Diesels lend themselves to lazy shifting/mild driving and that is one of the main reasons why I like them... less "awards" and less award handing conversations with the local law enforcement teams...

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I drive mine like I stole it. I'm kind to it during the initial warmup but after it's up to temp I drive it like I stole it. :cool:

When accelerating normally with a COLD engine, I shift at NO LESS THAN 2500 RPM. I don't wind the p!$$ out of it but get it up to at least 2500 RPM. I try to avoid hard acceleration during the initial warmup period.

When accelerating normally with a WARM engine (i.e., up to operating temp), I shift at NO LESS THAN 3000 RPM. This cycles the VNT mechanism in the turbo and keeps it operating freely. By winding it up to 3000 RPM or higher guarantees I'll land at 2000 RPM or slightly higher to hit the torque sweet spot in the next gear . Bottom line is I stay operating between the torque peak and HP peak on the engine's torque and hp curves. The engine has a nice power band in this RPM range and I've learned to USE it. It's all the more fun when your TDI has performance mods. :cool:

Whenever I need maximum acceleration, I wind it up to somewhere between 3500 and 4000 RPM before each shift. I love doing this on long highway on-ramps, especially uphill ramps. :cool:

Whatever I do, I specifically AVOID heavy throttle in any gear when under 2000 RPM to prevent lugging the engine. I'll downshift if need be. It's OK to putt through a parking lot at low RPM, but at light or no load and no throttle. All I'm saying is avoid having your foot to the floor at low RPMs with a heavy load that keeps the RPMs low.

After I've finished accelerating and reached CRUISE speed, I use whatever gear puts the engine in the 2000-ish RPM range or slightly higher.

These are general rules that apply to the life of the car and are part of Drivbiwire's break-in guidelines. I've been practicing them since day one with my TDI ownership (02 Golf, 05 JWagen, 10 JSW). After a combined total of more than 420k miles, with close to 300k of those miles with performance mods, I can say the guidelines WORK and are good for your TDI's long term health.

TDIs thrive on being driven like they were stolen. :cool:

Last edited:

TDIMcChanic

TDI
02 Jetta
Real easy except for freeway on-ramps, roads over 25mph, wet conditions, during errands, and driving to work.

SignHere

TDI
2005 Golf TDI
I think people get very obsessive and precise with this drive-style issue. Get your nose outta the tach and drive! I take it easy when its cold but after that i'm turnin' and burnin'!!!!!!

SD26

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI 5sp, 2002 Jetta TDI 5sp
I'm on the opposite end. I shift around 1400RPM's all the time. I go quickly through the gearbox achieving 5th really quickly even at speeds below 35MPH. Occasionally, if I need good acceleration for on ramps or a quick move into traffic from a stop, I'll go WFO and carry the R's up around 3k before shifting. I might do that too if I find a Prius or a Smart car too...just to unload a little carbon on them...but my Jetta only gets that loaded up to accomplish that once a week or so.

NArias24

TDI
2002 Golf TDI
I think people get very obsessive and precise with this drive-style issue. Get your nose outta the tach and drive! I take it easy when its cold but after that i'm turnin' and burnin'!!!!!!
X2 I came from a dodge charger which was getting 19mpg Highway!
So anything seems better then that to me haha I drive it like I would any car and still get about 46Mpgs average

IDoSeaDoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta, CJAA 6spd
So jealous! I could never break out of the low 40's no matter how I drove my 04 BEW. If I didn't have to tow jet skis, I'da gone with the ALH...

cwarner

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta also have a 2001 Dodge ram /Cummins
Once it is warmed up , I drive it hard. Much harder than I should for a car that has almost 170k on it. I usually shift around 3200 rpm's and I usually see 90-100mph at least twice a day.

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
At least once a week, I wind it out to blow out the carbon. Stinks to be the guy tailgating me when I do that, but some idiots hang right there in the soot cloud.

This darn MkIV has over 100 miles on this tank and I'm still above 1/1 on the fuel gauge.

Chubber

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Drive it like you know what you are going to be doing next, that's my best advice.

Downshift before turns and before you need power, hold RPMs up through the need for power, upshift when you are done making power and want to make speed.

Don't forget, this is a German car and expects a little spirited driving and will reward it. You don't need to hoon it, but think ahead, execute before it's too late and give it power when the situation demands.

Thermo1223

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta 5M-'04 JW A5
I'm on the opposite end. I shift around 1400RPM's all the time. I go quickly through the gearbox achieving 5th really quickly even at speeds below 35MPH. Occasionally, if I need good acceleration for on ramps or a quick move into traffic from a stop, I'll go WFO and carry the R's up around 3k before shifting. I might do that too if I find a Prius or a Smart car too...just to unload a little carbon on them...but my Jetta only gets that loaded up to accomplish that once a week or so.
That isn't really good for the engine, lugging it comes to mind. Diesels need to be worked.

The 2007 Rabbit we had would do that all the time with it hitting 6th gear at 35-40 mph. It would then lug, lug, lug at 1200 RPM until the slightest push of the throttle and shift out to 5th or 4th.

detroitmike

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat DSG
I have a 150 mile commute every day so I tend to go into a subdued state of mind and take it easy 50+mpg....but after I get home and go out for the night I BEAT IT LIKE A RENTED MULE ruining my mpg's for the day.:)

01greenjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta automatic
Balls to the walls! I find I use less fuel if I get there faster. Better hurry up and get there before I get pulled over! Why have a fast car if you're going to drive slow?

qdave

TDI
1999 VW Golf TDI Mk4
I am very calm, and almost never reach 3000rpm. usually i shift at around 2200-2400rpms. Probably not good for carbon buildups.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
I drive easy most of the time, going up to about 2500 then shifting. But a couple times a week it gets full power up to near 4000. Do 4k once, there is a haze out the tailpipe. Do it again, no haze. Pipes clean.

SD26

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI 5sp, 2002 Jetta TDI 5sp
That isn't really good for the engine, lugging it comes to mind. Diesels need to be worked.

The 2007 Rabbit we had would do that all the time with it hitting 6th gear at 35-40 mph. It would then lug, lug, lug at 1200 RPM until the slightest push of the throttle and shift out to 5th or 4th.
It is not lugging when I do it. I do not go to WFO at low RPM's, and, really, I usually keep my MAP, off of my Scanguage, below 22. If one is claiming that a diesel needs to be worked, then producing a load is good even at low RPM's.

Admittedly, my A3 does this better than my A4. Just trying to understand the A4 at this point.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
So jealous! I could never break out of the low 40's no matter how I drove my 04 BEW. If I didn't have to tow jet skis, I'da gone with the ALH...
I can drive my BEW with a pretty heavy foot and still pull off 45MPG. I can get 50 if I try.

I find that hard driving don't seem to effect MPGs too bad, as long as you do not use the brakes much. Brakes=wasted energy.

Thermo1223

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta 5M-'04 JW A5
It is not lugging when I do it. I do not go to WFO at low RPM's, and, really, I usually keep my MAP, off of my Scanguage, below 22. If one is claiming that a diesel needs to be worked, then producing a load is good even at low RPM's.

Admittedly, my A3 does this better than my A4. Just trying to understand the A4 at this point.
Actually using throttle anything below the optimal tq point isn't exactly great, it is a reciepe for carbon even in a gasoline car. Putt-putting around with barely any throttle isn't the best idea but not the worst.

That is why I used the Rabbit as an example it knew the second you touched the throttle it would have to shift out to not lug the engine even up the slightest hill. I keep the Wagon in 4 instead of D in the city for this exact reason.

I learned with my ALH that keeping it above 2,000rpms yielded the best results most of the time. Now granted I did ride 3rd gear in the city from stoplight to stoplight if you timed them just right so you didn't come to a complete stop. Car pulled away fine but it certainly was not the best thing for the turbo or engine.

Not downing what you do at all just giving my experience in the matter. :)