Heat and AC Work but fan only blows intermittent

tdireader

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
Can a failing relay 384 cause this?

I've had it go before but never lost the fan.

I can't seem to find my VAG-COM.... since I need it.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The electric engine cooling fan? Those fail sometimes. You can often take a blow gun and blast compressed air into the motor housing through a vent hole and clear out any built up debris causing the brushes to lose contact and get it working again reliably for a little while. But ultimately it will need to be replaced.

VCDS has no connection the the HVAC on B5s unless they have Climatronic, which is just optional on GLX V6 cars and standard on W8 cars.

tdireader

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
The electric engine cooling fan? ...... But ultimately it will need to be replaced.
VCDS has no connection the the HVAC on B5s unless they have Climatronic, which is just optional on GLX V6 cars and standard on W8 cars.
Thanks! I'm getting ready to sell back my NMS TDI (they would be giving me what I paid for it) and want to get anything fixed on my 2005 first.

I took my B5.5 for a long drive last yesterday and noticed the problem.

Interestingly, the dual zone climate on my 2013 is also acting up! The passenger side is stuck on AC. Not really worth dealing with at this point.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
You are talking about the cabin fan? If it's intermittent then the brushes are probably worn and the fan motor needs replacement.

tdireader

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI
You are talking about the cabin fan? If it's intermittent then the brushes are probably worn and the fan motor needs replacement.
Yes. It has been working all of today. I'll wait to see if it kicks out again. If not, I'll wait until it warms up to deal with this problem.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Yes. It has been working all of today. I'll wait to see if it kicks out again. If not, I'll wait until it warms up to deal with this problem.
It will get worse, they always do and they one day soon it will stop working altogether. Get a replacement one (even just a good used one) now so you have it when it finally kicks the bucket. My guess it will be in the next month or so.