Rusty filler neck

DezlDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat TDI Variant - United Grey
A while back I read of people who were experiencing rusty fuel filler necks on their TDI's. So, I recently checked mine, and sure enough RUST; lots of it (on the inside). Who has had this problem? Was it repaired under warranty? How did it go?
Just as an aside, some of you may recall that my neighbour, Jari, and I both bought identicalTDI wagons from the same dealership as part of one transaction. He has no rust in his filler neck. The only difference between the cars is that I use Stanadyne in every fill-up, and I swear by it. Jari has never used an additive. We even fuel up at the same station, so it can't be that. Whatya think?
Curious to know your thoughts on the filler neck repair before I go to the dealership. Thanks. Dan.

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
I had rust in my filler neck. Do a search or look at my post history. The dealership replaced the entire fuel tank and filler neck under warranty. Supposedly it is all one piece. I still don't understand why they don't use a metal that won't rust or corrode.

Btravelen

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 TDI Passat Variant
Sounds like they have more than one supplier of tank assy's for the Passat. I'll have to check ours when wife gets home with it.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Since the only metal is the ring that the cap screws into, the cap must not be sealing completely.

Since this can eventually lead to a loose cap, and possible fuel spill (e.g vehicle rollover incident) this could be considered a safety hazard and should be reported to the www.nhtsa.com or www.transportcanada.com. With enough documented cases this could lead to a recall of the tanks for replacements with metal screw rings that won't corrode.

It appears that at least one supplier was using sub-standard material.

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
Do you think that those of use with Ventectomys will allow more moisture in and possibly agrivate/initiate this issue?

Dan, do you have a ventectomy?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
A ventectomy should have no effect. Only the valve portion is removed from the body of the vent. The body, with the o-ring seals, should be re-inserted into the filler neck thus keeping that sealed preventing dirt and moisture from getting in, or fuel from leaking out.

LoneLIPumpeDuse

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat,04,BLUE GRAPHITE PRL
If you're dealer likes you, you can get it replaced. Otherwise you're S.O.L. The harsh reality of V.W.'s customer service and warranty coverage.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
Well...... my complaint is in :mad: Not that I'll hold breath waiting for action.

Last edited:

DezlDan

Veteran Member
TDI
vw4life said:
Dan, do you have a ventectomy?
No ventectomy on my car. My dealer said they will look after me. So far they have been 100% accommodating to all my requests. Keeping my fingers crossed.

DezlDan

Veteran Member
TDI
Update

Just to close the loop on how this worked out for me: My car goes in in 2 days for a new gas tank/ filler neck. All will be covered by warranty. The service manager searched and stated that he found a Passat fuel tank/ filler neck with a part number that supercedes the old part number. His hope is that the new part was created to replace the old one and eliminate the potential for another rust episode. Keepin' my fingers crossed.

Not one word of argument from the dealership about this repair.