What did you do to your car today?

agdtec

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Golf 2000 blk
Not today but Saturday
Went to the GTG at Jon's Auto in Marysville Ohio.
Thanx Jon for hosting the GTG.
I finally got ecu programmed. RC3
Thanx Jeff had a smile all the way home. :D

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
Looks pretty sharp with the Harlequin look.. Are you going to keep it that way or paint it black?

Are you gonna fill up the center hole below with an FMIC? Now you got lotsa room for one...

zuks90idi said:
Installed a new bumper and headlights.

tothemax

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDIs: 2003 Jetta, 2016 Q5 3.0
Finally got my Golf out of the tranny shop... finally shifts well on all 5 gears (3rd time's a charm)... She drives great ... pulls hard... got 150 miles on the new engine.. 350 more to go and I can push her hard :D

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Congrats Pierre. thats awesome news.

now that I have a couple of days with the new engine in the car, I notice something different about taking off in first gear.

ever since I replaced my clutch with the VR6/1z setup I have had a little shudder when first taking off. I thought it was just normal especially since I didn't have the flywheel resurfaced.

now with the replacement engine, on the same clutch & flywheel (still not resurfaced) that shudder is completely gone.

I had my flywheel/clutch replaced in late 2008... about 20,000 miles ago..

who knows how long that piston had been flopping around on the wrist pin before that. I certainly didn't notice it with the dual mass flywheel absorbing the vibrations..

so all of you with SMFs, if you start feeling vibrations when taking off in 1st gear.. you MIGHT want to start saving your pennies. you have time, but it can and will take out your engine eventually.

egibbys

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Jetta TDI GLS
Growler said:
so all of you with SMFs, if you start feeling vibrations when taking off in 1st gear.. you MIGHT want to start saving your pennies. you have time, but it can and will take out your engine eventually.
What exactly will take it out? I've got the original clutch in my car and I've had a flutter in first gear for almost a year. It has had me worrying for quite some time.

zuks90idi

Veteran Member
TDI
07 Dodge, 01 B5.5, 99.5 mk4 ALH, 04 Tourage
tothemax said:
Looks pretty sharp with the Harlequin look.. Are you going to keep it that way or paint it black?

Are you gonna fill up the center hole below with an FMIC? Now you got lotsa room for one...
It's getting painted for sure.

Front mount will fill the middle hole up and not to sure about the others yet. Want to find something to fill them, just need to get to the metal supply shop to see what kinds of expanded metal they have. I would like to use stainless and powder coat so rust wont be as much of a problem.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Put in a slightly used H&R 24mm rear sway bar in my sedan. Took an hour, in and out. I am very happy with the handling in the corners and on the highway. Well worth the cash and would highly recommend every Mk5 who wants a better "feeling" car to invest in either at least a GTI bar or an upgraded bar. The rest of the suspention is stock.

zuks90idi

Veteran Member
TDI
740GLE said:
Put in a slightly used H&R 24mm rear sway bar in my sedan. Took an hour, in and out. I am very happy with the handling in the corners and on the highway. Well worth the cash and would highly recommend every Mk5 who wants a better "feeling" car to invest in either at least a GTI bar or an upgraded bar. The rest of the suspention is stock.

I completely agree, couldn't believe the difference on my B5.5..

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Well, on the engine I just had to replace, the wrist pin retainer circlip was nonexistant. this allowed the wrist pin to beat up on the brass bushing that acts as a bearing for it.

over time, it allowed the piston to start flopping around on the wrist pin and is progressiveliy got worse in the time I had it.

what caused me concern was recently the shaking was turning into a knocking.

I also had a ticking coming from my cylinder head (at least I think so) since it also got replaced, the engine is normal sounding again, and i can even hear my injectors firing inside the cabin now.

ebe

TDI
Vw Golf mk7 2015 (2016) highline variant tdi 1.6
Cleaned and oiled

Cleaned EGR (was needed)/ oiled Acuator until it moved..(wastegate)

Cleaned TURBO a little with (oven cleaner)

Passat 96kw 2001 highway

egibbys

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Jetta TDI GLS
shagin'wagen said:
Anyone got a How To on changing the A/C clutch?
That would have been handy when I needed it done. I ended up paying a guy to put it on. $40 wasn't too bad though. Except for the part. $$$$:eek:

delvi__acevedo

Mod'aholic
TDI
Getta GLS,2001,silver
Auto dimming mirror

3 days ago retrofited a black auto dimming rear view mirror from a R32, I didn't care about the rain sensor feature and didn't want to change windshield just to have that funtion so I retrofited my stock rearview mirror base to the R32 mirror and wired it up and it works perfect. I'm happy:)

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
delvi__acevedo said:
3 days ago retrofited a black auto dimming rear view mirror from a R32, I didn't care about the rain sensor feature and didn't want to change windshield just to have that funtion so I retrofited my stock rearview mirror base to the R32 mirror and wired it up and it works perfect. I'm happy:)
Did you run the wires down the passenger pillar OE style, or did you do something else? I'm gonna do this in the next couple of weeks, and was just wondering how you did it!

Cheers,
-Chris

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
blizzard60 said:
Did you run the wires down the passenger pillar OE style, or did you do something else? I'm gonna do this in the next couple of weeks, and was just wondering how you did it!
Cheers,
-Chris

Driver side is easier because you don't need to drag wires as far for things like the reverse signal.

delvi__acevedo

Mod'aholic
TDI
Getta GLS,2001,silver
blizzard60 said:
Cheers,
-Chris
actually I did a quick and dirty thing, I already had fused power up there for the V1 radar detector so I tap to that, the ground wire got hook up by the W8 console and on the reverse wire the mirror is really looking for ground and it gets this from the reverse wire at all times except when the reverse is engaged.
So I just hook that up to ground insted of the reverse line so I had to run "0" wires but of course the down side is that if I'm backing up and there is a bright light the mirror will dim but that's ok with me.

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
Today I added an "Aux" input inside the glove box....

Finally can listen to my Android phone and laptop without having to use a FM transmitter. Phone calls sound great on it too!

zuks90idi

Veteran Member
TDI
NB_TDi said:
Today I added an "Aux" input inside the glove box....

Finally can listen to my Android phone and laptop without having to use a FM transmitter. Phone calls sound great on it too!

What head unit are you running? I would like to listen to my Android as well. :D

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
mech644 said:
What kind of DPDT switch did you use? Type of contacts? Just curious if Audio quality suffers?
Nothing more than a run of the mill switch. Not sure why audio quality would suffer since the wiring is only 24 AWG anyway. :)