pushed in filler neck?

JFryauff

I think I may have pushed in my filler neck to my fuel tank. It's not there anymore. The filler neck (I was told that is what it's called) is that door to the gas tank that you put the gas pump nozzle into,well it's not there anymore. For those of you who don't know, I drive a 2001 Jetta TDI. well I have a feeling that I may have damaged the filler neck by using those truck pumps. Is that possible? What do you think? If anybody is familiar with this dilemma or has some advice please do share it with me. Thanks

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
I'm confused. The filler neck is not the door, it is the black rubber tube that connects the tank with the metal ring onto which you screw the fuel cap. If the filler neck is not there anymore, you will be unable to pour fuel into the tank, it will simply run out the bottom onto your shoes.

Perhaps you mean the little tab inside the filler neck that controls the vent. It sticks out of the filler neck just to the left as you peer into the hole. And it is quite possible to make the vent release tab go away by pressing on it with a fuel nozzle. It can break off and fall into the tank.

JFryauff

Okay the filler neck was obviously not the name ,what I am refering to is the little metal flapl ike door thing when you look into the gas tank, ya know that piece that the pump nozzle inserts into when you pump fuel. Well that piece is gone. or at least I do not see it anymore.

jkeller

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Tornado Red
I think you mean the little one-way flap thing that covers the end of the pipe that you stick the nozzle in.

My car doesn't have one and unless I pushed it in the first time I filled up, it never did. I have seen them on other gas cars.

pepper10

Veteran Member
TDI
:)2002 A4 TDI , 2006 A5:)
Diesels don't have the little trap you are talking about. The opening size being smaller on gas cars is to prevent you from filling with diesel (at least the large truck nozzles) and the door to help prevent evaporation. Don't worry. You didn't loose it. It was never there. Keep filling at the truck islands!

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Geez...just occured to me what we are talking about.
I haven't had a gas car for a while. Yeah, the diesels don't have that interior flap thing to allow you to use the truck stop pumps.

JFryauff

Diesels don't have the little trap you are talking about. The opening size being smaller on gas cars is to prevent you from filling with diesel (at least the large truck nozzles) and the door to help prevent evaporation. Don't worry. You didn't loose it. It was never there. Keep filling at the truck islands!
but I distinctly remember having to put the pour spout onthe antigelling additive into that little hole. Unless the last three months was a dream I am pretty sure that I did have one at one point or another.

BeetleBailey

TDI
2000 beetle gls blue
You probably do remember doing that in a gasser. If your description is indeed the small hole flap they were in gassers to prevent a leaded gas nozzle from going into an unleaded gas car. Your tdi never had one. that is a good thing so

Alster

Veteran Member
Just filled up yesterday. Noticed no flap or similar device in my fuel filler neck. Just an opened hole. Much different than gas cars.

03 Jetta Wagon TDI / 5-speed/ 58,000 miles / lifetime 55 MPG

Alster