2001 Jetta TDI Automatic Transmission Trouble

DMarusa

The automatic transmission on my 2001 Jetta TDI failed over the weekend. Car goes into reverse and drives in reverse fine, but will work properly in any forward gear. Engine revs, but there is no power to motor, unless you apply very slight pressure on the gas pedal. I took it to a shop (non dealer that handles audis and jettas), they couldn't find the exact problem but said it needs a new transmission for $3,800. Car has 112,000 miles on it. Is it worth it??? Anyone know any cheaper shops in the SF Bay Area?? I've had so many small things go wrong with this car, I am ready to sell it. Just wanted a few opinions first.

02DslPwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, TDI
A 5 speed swap is better economically and mileage-wise. It can be done for ~$2300+clutch(~$300 on up), including labor.

Unfortunately, I dont know of anyone that can do the swap in your area. Alphaseinor invented the swap, but he's in Dallas TX.

Sorry to hear about your failed 01M. A bad tranny is really going to lower your resale value. When mine went, I had to decide wether to ditch the car all together, or fix it and keep it forever. I'm keeping it forever.