wont start after timing belt

Don_and_Herbie

TDI
NB 2003 platinum
wont start after timing belt (solved)

I have a 2003 New Beetle that wont start after timing belt work.
I rotated engine 2 times after every thing was locked down, cam plate and ip pin went right in used a mirror to make sure ip pin was right.
Primed ip pump. cracked injectors lose one at a time.
Tried to start after little cranking it fired ran rough for 30 seconds then stalled. will not restart.
WHAT AM(Fixed)

Last edited:

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
You didn't mix up the lines between the pump and filter? I did and had a similar result.

If not, prime/bleed again like Doc said.

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
Too late now, but definitely no need to remove fuel lines to replace timing belt. When it ran crappy did you happen to capture the timing in VCDS to see if it was close?

Easiest way to prime pump is to remove the banjo bolt at the top of the IP for the return pipe (don't lose the copper washers) and use vacuum to draw fuel through the IP then reassemble the return pipe, crack the nuts on all four injectors and crank until you get good spurts. Then tighten injector nuts and it should start, might run rough for a bit but should smooth out.

If IP timing is far enough off with cam and crank timing static set correctly, you will hear a difference when you log into TDI timing and select ALH with VCDS. If its far enough off you will get a vertical line instead of horizontal on the graph.

Don_and_Herbie

TDI
NB 2003 platinum
IT STARTED.
I got my 2003 beetle to start today.
After checking timing for the fourth time and priming the ip for the fourth time, it still would not start.
Stood back and gave some thought as to what was happening.
Car would try and start run for 10 seconds then stall out and would not start again till it set for awhile.
On a wild hunch I removed the vaccum hose to the ASV knowing it helps in shut down.
Got in it and tried and it started right up.
Now to track down whats wrong with thw ASV.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
EGR uses a larger hose than the ASV. ... prolly just a stuck ASV.

Don_and_Herbie

TDI
NB 2003 platinum
ASV not stuck its working fine.

Seems like its getting a vaccum all the time.

Will check solenoid and vaccumm lines in the morning.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
I understand you to say the ASV closes after 10 seconds or so?

That does sound like the solenoid is leaking through.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
I would check to be sure the ASV wire connector and the CCV heater wire connector didn't get swapped. It's happened before.