Upgrades :)

Diesel_Man

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI Wagon 1.9l BEW, 5 spd Tiptronic
Hello group

I have a 2005 Jetta Mk4. It is my first diesel car. I picked it up a few months ago. I recently got a few things fixed on it, to where I have a good base to work from. I was talking to the mechanic working on my car about some upgrades, like the Kerma intercooler and such. Easy add on upgrades that I can do now, then get a cam and a good tune down the road. What I am thinking of is to purchase the air intake, then perhaps the intercooler with plumbing, then exhaust (of course when I have the money). The thing is, the mechanic mentioned that when people start doing these add ons, they start having problems, which I do not want.

If I start doing these things over time, will it cause problems or not???? I am not quite sure how to ask the question, but I think you get the jist. :)

Thanks! :)

Diesel Man.............. the worlds first, foremost, and ONLY diesel powered superhero! :D

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Obviously you want increased performance and longevity, yes?
Well, your mechanic is right, if mods are slapped together regardless of eachother then yes problems. But a good tuning shop who blends all your mods to work together can make a badazz ride. although, certain mods will tend to brake the engine earlier than normal possibly, even when it's a 'proper' setup, depending on the setup.
OIW, make sure your tuner knows what you want and agrees to deliver.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Air intake? What air intake? Some P.O. put on a worthless engine killing cold air intake or you are thankfully returning it to stock so it doesn’t knacker your MAF or allow fine particles of dust into your intake?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Yes, get a tune. if you get a good one you may need a clutch. Enjoy the car.

Diesel_Man

TDI
Yeah. I got the standard tune after I got the other items fixed. Turbo lag.... GONE...... power......UP......... I hit the gas just a little on the highway, there is a little puff of black smoke, then I start waving 'bye-bye' to all the other cars around me. :) LOVE IT! I am thinking a little more down the road whereas I want more power and torque. I do not think I am going to turn it into a race car or anything, but as everyone knows, the cams go out in these motors. If I have to put a cam in it, I will probably go with a stage 2 cam, nozzles, turbo.........whole 9 yards :).................... when I get the money. LOL :)

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
I wouldn't say cams are that bad. 300k miles isn't uncommon. Most gas engines don't last that long even.

Since you have a tune just drive like that for a while. Eventually you may need a turbo which is often before a cam. Don't do the exhaust until you do the turbo. And the intercooler and old man intake is kind of pointless unless you have a turbo but can be done after the turbo.

Injectors also kind of need the turbo done.

You need a clutch before any of that if on the original.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Diesel_Man

TDI
THanks Shade Tree :)

The turbo has been done on the car. I bought it that way. It has a BW KV39 (I think). So that has already been upgraded, but only a little bit. It is better than stock.

I am going to drive it for now. As I mentioned, preparing for the future :)

The next items is the suspension. Gotta get some good coilovers. Not too stiff, but strong for the country roads and confy for the highway :) I did already do the control arm bushings. Polys in the front and Lemforders in the rear.

One piece at a time...... :D

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
KP39 is the stock turbo. The VNT-17, used on PD150 cars in Europe, would allow you to run both more fuel and boost. BEWs with a KP39, 2.5" downpipe, and a good tune can deliver close to 150 HP, and 230+ torque. Of course you'll need a clutch at that point. But it's a real sweet spot for these cars, I think.

Diesel_Man

TDI
THis is the numbers on the turbo....

Part no: BV39A

BW no: 54399880024

I did look it up, but I am not sure how this compares to the stock one......

Diesel_Man

TDI
Thanks Indigo...............

Sheesh.............. that makes the second lie I was told about the car. I was told that the turbo went bad and it was replaced with an upgraded one. That the BW was an upgrade. Well......... at least it works real well for now and the intake is clean. Plus that I own it!!! This baby will be WELL cared for and spiffed up over time. :)

In case you are wondering......... the timing belt was the first one. With 149,xxx miles on it, it still had the original timing belt. Got that changed out fortunately.

Diesel Man

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Careful on the stock turbo with an open exhaust as they can overspool from what I have been warned. I have been told to keep oem exhaust with oem turbo.

You are lucky on the timing belt. Brothers car that I fixed up broke at 80k which is the newer mile mark that has been put out there. He was 2 miles from home ready to do the timing belt that night. I bought the car from him for the cost of the turbo and exhaust. Saved the upgraded cam with just a polish and put a different engine in there for about $800 or so (forget with shipping included but that was only about 100 through fastenal). These things are fun. But they can suck a lot of money out of you fast "upgrading".

Diesel_Man

TDI
Thanks Coalminer

Yeah..... I am gonna keep everything as is for now. Besides, I do not have the money :) I need to pay everything else off first.

Yes, I am VERY glad about the timing belt and sorry to hear about what you had to go through. I had to dump a bunch of money into this, which I did not want to do. Now that it up and running very nice, I have a stable platform to maintain it and keep it on the road for many years to come. Which is the plan.

THe next set up upgrades that I am really gonna do is the suspension. It is just a little bouncy. It is worn, but not wore out. I will pay off what I have done, then go after struts and such. A good cup kit. Kinda leaning towards Bilstien.

Diesel Man ;)

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
IIRC, Bilsteins do not have a lifetime warranty like the Koni's do, and many of us are running the Koni "Orange" struts and dampers, aka STR.T's with great reviews too.

Geobmx4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf Malone tuned VNT 17, FMIC
Follow what Nevada said about the suspension, especially with yours being a wagon. Take a look at the mods in my signature, that's a good guide to what you can do...I'm pretty much done modding this car. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

Diesel_Man

TDI
Thanks Geobmx4life :)

As far as Bilstiens not haivng a liffetime warranty, I thought they do

Anyways...... I am getting hit with just about everything possible right now. I am not gonna have the finances for at least a year. :(....... oh well..................

Diesel Man

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Bilsteins have a lifetime warranty against defects in materials and workmanship.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Check put the "Beef on a Budget" thread for lots of damper and spring installs of different brands. I finally got my rear wagon springs installed and (new) the rear is 3/16" higher than the front, in a couple of months there may be no difference...