What if I don't want a buyback or modification?

BMVGBW

TDI
2009 VW Jetta
I live in Connecticut, and own a 09 VW Jetta TDI, has over 200k on it and still runs great. It is completely paid off, and has been for 5 years. I have put a lot of money towards the car, and I do not feel like I want to let it go, nor do I want to have it modified and risk downgrading the performance of the car.
Here in my state, we have a mandatory emissions test that must be done every other year. I have tried researching what this means for me (i.e: if my state will enforce an emissions modification or if they will ultimately be able to test if a car has a "cheat/test mode", which will therefore result in a failed emissions test.) I have not been able to find anything on this subject.
Does anyone have any idea what will happen if we choose to do neither?

demagxc

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
Other than missing out on a little cash, nothing will happen. The state cant force you to get the fix or penalize you for not getting it. They also cant ever refuse to register your car for not getting the fix. Just keep on driving as if this whole mess never happened.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Biggest thing is I'd add to demgxc comment is "at this time", just like with everything in this world it is subject to change. I'm sure CT took VW blood money just like NH did, but if per say they change their mind I'm sure they could back stab "the settlement" to force the bad cars off the road.

Not to dissuaded your thought process about the fix for the car, any troubles the fix may cause would be offset by chunk of cash ($5,100) plus a warranty which you currently don't have. A tune and DPF delete would easily improve the car and still end up with a chunk of change in your pocket.

Last edited:

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
"A tune and DPF delete would easily improve the car and still end up with a chunk of change in your pocket".........Yea..but would he not have a problem with the mandatory emissions check in his state after the dpf delete and tune??

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
"A tune and DPF delete would easily improve the car and still end up with a chunk of change in your pocket".........Yea..but would he not have a problem with the mandatory emissions check in his state after the dpf delete and tune??
You can get a tune without a dpf delete and retain the stock exhaust and emission components.so if the op doesn't like the fix he can tune the fix away and have extra money in his pocket, but will probably lose the extended warranty which from what I can tell he is not interested in any way. Decisions, decisions, how to have your cake and eat it too. I vote for the fix and the money that would pay for a tune which will also improve the performance of the engine.
I took the fix and the money. Now I feel the fix was not detrimental to the driveability of the car but I am not speed racer either and the fuel economy has not tanked. If I choose to void the warranty and get a tune is still up in the air,

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I doubt CT (or any other state for that matter) can detect whether or not your car has been fixed via their testing system. And it's been posted here repeatedly that states cannot deny registration if your car has not been fixed.

Cars that are not fixed or are tuned pass MA inspection fine. I bet the same would be true in CT.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Do what you want, but I think you're throwing money away. I'd do the fix, slap on a tune that retains the new emissions equipment. Drive off with a car that is probably faster than what you have now and $4500 in your pocket.

I could be wrong but doesn't the fix also get you a shiny new DPF for the 2009 cars? That adds additional value, especially if you have 200k on your original DPF.

mr.shooty

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI Gone. 2018 Golf R
In NJ they don't even test emissions. They simply plug in their OBD reader and check for codes. They don't care if your windows are cracked, breaks don't work, or your body work is held on with duct tape (my old pick up had all of those) but god forbid if there is a check engine light.

kcny

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, Man.
It’s dumb not to take the money vw is offering to do the fix. The benefits outweighs the con in this situation.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Previous posts are correct. Expecially in an '09, where a new, updated DPF and CAT are part of the fix. If you want to be sure your car is unchanged after the fix have a tuner capture your current stock tune before the fix, and have it flashed back onto the ECU after.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
So - in short -

Most of us would recommend you get the fix (and the minimum of $5100 that comes with it). You could then get a tune.

If you don't want the fix, well - no problem - the settlement EXPLICITLY STATES that states that took VW money from the settlement cannot ever force you to get it, nor can they EVER refuse to let you register the car using the excuse that it is not fixed for the emissions (they could for other reasons, such as safety reasons).

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
One thing to note is if you ever need work done to any emissions stuff, you may be forced into the fix anyway due to lack of parts or inability of them to install old parts due to the settlement agreement.This is noted in the agreement as well. I would get the fix now and take the money. Be happy with the new parts and money and additional warranty. If needed/wanted get a tune.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I can't imagine passing up $5100 and a new 4-year+ warranty. :confused: I love my car too, but for heaven's sake man go collect your cash and get the warranty!;)

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
I can't imagine passing up $5100 and a new 4-year+ warranty. :confused: I love my car too, but for heaven's sake man go collect your cash and get the warranty!;)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this.

kcny

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, Man.
Also at your mileage, you’re looking at timing belt replacement coming up and a lot of other wear and tear items may need to be replacing soon. I know you love the car and not sure how much you’re getting for your buyback. I would strongly suggest you consider letting vw buy your car back. You can get yourself a brand new gasser sportwagon with a small car payments.

CHenry

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI DSG 4-door (sold)
Also at your mileage, you’re looking at timing belt replacement coming up and a lot of other wear and tear items may need to be replacing soon. I know you love the car and not sure how much you’re getting for your buyback. I would strongly suggest you consider letting vw buy your car back. You can get yourself a brand new gasser sportwagon with a small car payments.

^^^This.

You have already driven the best your old car will have to offer.

Miss_Athanatos

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen 6-speed manual; 2016 3500 Ram Tradesman 4X4 6.7L Cummins 6-Speed manual
Does anyone have any idea what will happen if we choose to do neither?

Nothing is supposed to happen.

I don't plan on getting the "fix" for my TDI, and don't think that you should feel pressured to do so, either.

Ultimately, you will have to decide what you can afford to do: take the "fix" money and risk the car stranding you places, dump the TDI altogether, or keep the car as it is.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
Ultimately, you will have to decide what you can afford to do: take the "fix" money and risk the car stranding you places, dump the TDI altogether, or keep the car as it is.

Interesting. I can relate to the fears about decreased performance. But this is the first that I've read about someone with a perceived risk of reduced reliability. I guess I'd just counter that, at least if it leaves you stranded after the fix its probably getting repaired on VW's dime under the extended warranty.

Each to their own, but I guess would add the words "and risk the car stranding you places" to the end of your sentence because all cars have a potential to break down. Fix or no fix, TDI or not.

Miss_Athanatos

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen 6-speed manual; 2016 3500 Ram Tradesman 4X4 6.7L Cummins 6-Speed manual
Interesting. I can relate to the fears about decreased performance. But this is the first that I've read about someone with a perceived risk of reduced reliability. I guess I'd just counter that, at least if it leaves you stranded after the fix its probably getting repaired on VW's dime under the extended warranty.

Each to their own, but I guess would add the words "and risk the car stranding you places" to the end of your sentence because all cars have a potential to break down. Fix or no fix, TDI or not.
Everyone recognizes that when they get on the road some freak occurrence could cause one to be stranded. That's not the same concept as putting a modification on the car that is practically unknown in effect, but does require a vast extended warranty.

Also, whether VW covers repairs or not, it doesn't get you back time lost at an important meeting, or picking up your kids, or walking to an area with cell service, cost of tow, etc.

The reliability of any proposed "fix" has been questioned from the beginning of dieselgate both in this forum and elsewhere.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Everyone recognizes that when they get on the road some freak occurrence could cause one to be stranded. That's not the same concept as putting a modification on the car that is practically unknown in effect, but does require a vast extended warranty.

Also, whether VW covers repairs or not, it doesn't get you back time lost at an important meeting, or picking up your kids, or walking to an area with cell service, cost of tow, etc.

The reliability of any proposed "fix" has been questioned from the beginning of dieselgate both in this forum and elsewhere.
Not unknown. It was heavily engineered by the manufacturer and looked at by multiple agencies. Can something go wrong? Sure just like with anything else. It doesn't "require" a vast extended warranty, the warranty was "mandated" by the courts and settlement to help protect owners.

Nothing ever gets you back time lost from anything. IIRC towing for a breakdown is covered.

Questioning the reliability doesn't make it unreliable. The flood of those unhappy with the dieselgate situation questioned everything ad nauseum.

I get in my stop sale Beetle every day without a thought of breakdown or anything going wrong at all. I feel it is as reliable as any other new car on the road. I would have no issue driving it anywhere.

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL

$5000+ in restitution money covers at least of few scenarios where these inevitable breakdowns occur.:rolleyes:
Others are suggesting that it may be worth getting the fix (or buyback), considering the generous sum of cash and extended warranty. No real pressure from anyone. If the money or warranty isn't important, he can drive on like nothing ever happened.

Myself? For $5100 you can take my spare tire, heated seats and put a 1" block under the go pedal.;) My thoughts in late 2015 were much like the like the OP, but 2-1/2 years of driving a depreciation-proof car gave me time to weigh the benefits of the fix/buyback.

Whether the world is a sphere has been questioned since well before the beginning of Dieselgate, luckily not here, but elsewhere. The debate has yet to have any effect on the shape of the planet.

Last edited:

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Yeah I also don't understand how terrible this fix has to be not to be worth $5000. Also, after BuyBack is done, un-fixed cars with no warranty will be worth even less than cars that were fixed and have 100K mile warranty.

So you are missing out on even more money.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
If someone is truly worried that the fix will wreck the car they love then the best financial decision would be as some have suggested on this board and get their ECU backed up, then get the fix done to collect the payment and get the extended warranty and then retune back to pre-fix.

Then again, $5k means more to some people than others. At the end of the day, whatever lets you sleep at night and smile all day.

Of course I'm driving one of the fixed cars now. I love driving it and with the great warranty I'm driving more and worrying less.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Putting your old original programming back after new equipment has been installed may not work so well. If there were no hardware changes this would work okay. Who knows what will happen with the extra sensors and stuff installed.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
Putting your old original programming back after new equipment has been installed may not work so well. If there were no hardware changes this would work okay. Who knows what will happen with the extra sensors and stuff installed.

Hmmm, good point. And since I haven't done this myself I should probably stop giving advice! I don't know how those details and I'm less familiar with the 2015 cars than the 2009-2014's.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Not unknown. It was heavily engineered by the manufacturer and looked at by multiple agencies. Can something go wrong? Sure just like with anything else. It doesn't "require" a vast extended warranty, the warranty was "mandated" by the courts and settlement to help protect owners.
IMHO, the extended warranty was also a last straw offer to get those on the fence about the fix to make take the plunge.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
What new equipment? Phase 1 fix is software only. And the only different equipment in Phase II is a new NOx Sensor. If you want to have Phase II done I imagine a tuner can either write out that sensor in the tune or accommodate it.

Previous posts raise concerns about car reliability post-fix. There's no reason, in my opinion, that reliability would be changed by the fix. Durability of emissions components, however, may change. Which is why VW is replacing them proactively during the warranty period.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Oops. Thought we were talking about a '15. Still, a tuner would be able to tell you if they can tune a car with new hardware, or if you can run the old stock tune. I'm betting the answer to both questions is yes.