What did you do to your MK7 today?

dwu.048

TDI
2015 Golf MK7 (DSG)
Where did you get that grill? Is that OEM as well?
It was on eBay and it is aftermarket. The seller doesn't seem to sell them though. I purchased it for $45 USD and had it shipped to a US mailbox. I like how there's an option for the chrome trim as opposed to the red trim. If you're looking for one, I have a friend who is selling an OEM one but it has the red trim.

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Finally had my original battery die yesterday. I could tell it was on its way out since cranking occasionally wasn't as fast. Build date 6/'14, so pretty impressive for the OE battery IMO. Replaced with a fresh one from the dealer for $155, updated the manufacturer and serial number in VCDS as that apparently tells the ECU to control the charging strategy differently. We'll see if I get another 6 years out of this one!

dwu.048

TDI
2015 Golf MK7 (DSG)
Finally had my original battery die yesterday. I could tell it was on its way out since cranking occasionally wasn't as fast. Build date 6/'14, so pretty impressive for the OE battery IMO. Replaced with a fresh one from the dealer for $155, updated the manufacturer and serial number in VCDS as that apparently tells the ECU to control the charging strategy differently. We'll see if I get another 6 years out of this one!
That's actually pretty good. I hear they die quite quickly. Mine died before the warranty period was up so I was lucky to get a new one. Also didn't know about VCDS would do that. Interesting.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
My car also never sat for an extended period. Bought January '16 with 17k miles and currently at 92k. Car is mostly garage kept too. Been a very reliable car except for when I've broken some things!

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
updated the manufacturer and serial number in VCDS as that apparently tells the ECU to control the charging strategy differently. We'll see if I get another 6 years out of this one!
Ive heard that before. What can/will a different battery do/cause?

I changed from the o.e. and haven't noticed issues? I did think the charge voltage Could BE higher? What is the normal running voltage output?

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Ive heard that before. What can/will a different battery do/cause?

I changed from the o.e. and haven't noticed issues? I did think the charge voltage Could BE higher? What is the normal running voltage output?
Not sure, but when I saw the price for an Interstate battery I just went with the dealer. Was $100 cheaper and I'll be happy if it lasts even 5 years this go around. I figure there's no reason to go with the larger battery if I got that life out of the first one.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I wonder how difficult it is to install a battery charge module and any advantages besides something else to break?

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
We drove ours up to Rhode Island a couple of weeks ago with the entire area behind the front seats totally packed, left to right and top to bottom and got 50.1 MPG doing no more than 5 MPH over the speed limits...:cool:

Drove it the beach house and managed 44.5mpg while being completely stock and AC mostly on full blast. Gotta love flat roads and cruise control.
https://i.imgur.com/yFPgItU.jpg

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
That's brilliant! My 56360 is on order and I was dreading the wire run up to the battery.
I either need to run a longer wire to the cigarette plug adapter for wiring or just run the wire from battery underneath the car so I can button it up...

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I scraped the rusty receiver on the EcoHitch, taped the area off, then sprayed some rust reformer, then 3 coats of gloss black rust oleum on the visible part.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Thank you! My front bumper (and hood while I’m at it) needs a respray. I might opt for those if I can’t find a decently priced GTI bumper.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Purchased from AliExpress.
https://a.aliexpress.com/_d8OH1fF
The eyebrows come lined with 3m tape. The fog lights are partially covered so you might need to brighten your fogs.
I already have some very bright LEDs in my fogs, and have them coded as DRLs, so toning them down a bit would probably work well for my purposes.

And I like the look, too. As the ad copy on the AliX page says..."Improves Appearance and For AERO Dynamic All at Once!"
Tough to say no to that. :D

Last edited:

dwu.048

TDI
2015 Golf MK7 (DSG)
Haha. Yes...I was sold on the aerodynamics haha. It makes it look like a golf R I feel but from different angles, it looks unpropritionate unless you have a lip or something to accommodate that bulkiness on the bumper.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Picked up the new to me BBS SR wheels from Kory at DentWizard after some touch-up work and had the new Conti Pure Contact tires installed by the guys at Interstate Tire...

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
How do you like the PureContact tires? Been looking at those for replacement because of the good wear rating; curious as to how loud they are.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Not loud at all. I really like them and also have them on the wagon. Excellent handling in the wet and even in what little snow we get here.

How do you like the PureContact tires? Been looking at those for replacement because of the good wear rating; curious as to how loud they are.

nathanso

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI S 6M (sold)
Not loud at all. I really like them and also have them on the wagon. Excellent handling in the wet and even in what little snow we get here.
Be wary of weak sidewalls on this tire. I brushed a curb corner with a rear tire and was rewarded with a prominent sidewall bulge that prompted some Googling and the subsequent replacement of the whole (near-new) set with a different brand of tire.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
Between our old Passat B5.5, the GSW, and this car, we're on our 4th set without any weak sidewall issues...

Be wary of weak sidewalls on this tire. I brushed a curb corner with a rear tire and was rewarded with a prominent sidewall bulge that prompted some Googling and the subsequent replacement of the whole (near-new) set with a different brand of tire.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'm amused when people complain about tires (excluding super low profile tires) having "weak sidewalls" that cause trouble when they hit things. Seems the solution is to not hit things.

ebe

TDI
Vw Golf mk7 2015 (2016) highline variant tdi 1.6
question need help on headlight issue

Got a question

my headlights are from Valeo 5G1 941 006 halo (original with halo DRL)
10pin connector but only 8 pins in there !

i tried today hella 5g1 941 006 D (1eb013.924-02 ) with LED as DRL
and this has a 10pin connector but only 9 pins in there

i tried one in my car

blinker worked / highbeam ok /low beam ok / But the DRL LEDS did not !

any suggestions ( wiring diagram ?)

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
The USB ports are meh. Took so long to install but also didn't fit quite right on the center console.
Where did you source that? I am wanting to add something similar to my Golf. I want to have a USB C port somewhere in the dash area. How did you tap into power?

pulled that small pain in the butt cubby drilled a hole and fished the USB cable down under the passengers foot well, finally that cover will remain closed 100% of the time.
What cubby?

dwu.048

TDI
2015 Golf MK7 (DSG)
I got it from AliExpress. https://a.aliexpress.com/_dSWbLv2

I left my review with that seller. There a few on AliExpress to pick from. The fit wasn't perfect. The pegs and notches were slightly off. If they matched my Golf, the unit would fit. The power source came from the front cigarette. The unit came with a harness which would piggyback off the front cigarette lighter socket and to the unit itself. You will definitely have to remove the center console which was a pain to remove. Overall, my wife appreciates it since she can charge her phone in the back as she sits with my 18 month daughter. If it weren't for her, I'd say this modification isn't worth it.

As for the front, I have seen people remove the front cigarette lighter socket and replaced it with USB ports. Not sure if anyone has done anything USB C related. Anything is possible though with money and time. Would be a fun project to pursue.

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

ebe

TDI
vw golf 7 highline variant 1.6tdi

Switched the old mirror blinkers for led striped onces

(moving left to right instead of blinking )

Bought those on ***express for testing

looks great