The "What did you do to your B4 today" thread...

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Well, I almost got the timing belt and intake cleaning done; just ran out of daylight, and got tired of the mosquitoes.

I just need to tighten the crank pulley, hang the intake, then try starting it.

The belt actually went on pretty straightforward. If I didn't know any better, I'd say it was in the same timing (crank-cam-ip) that it was, when I tore it down.

I've also installed a a Clutched alternator pulley and a new water pump.

If it works, I'll post the PN: I was able to get it for $63

Tony

VWWV

Veteran Member
TDI
passat 96, candy white
Awakened after 6 months storage

This would be the 14th time I've returned to my 96 B4 that was stored in my garage in Fl. while we "summered" up north. As typical over those years, the 1Z started and ran as if I had just shut it down an hour beforehand rather than the actual 6 months. This year, however, I noted that the turn signals and the emergency flasher controls required exercising to regain function....suggesting a need to spray some cleaner on the contacts. I didn't drive it today but I did run the temp; up to normal operating. The tires (new 7 months ago) had lost 6 psi all around. Despite prior member comments to the effect that my limited use of the B4 does not warrant my purchase of the car...the reliablity of this remarkable car for the duty I ask of it continues to please me after all these years.:D

Yblocker

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat
Pulled my injectors Saturday. They came out easier than I thought they would since all the glow plugs are stuck...

I spent part of Sunday cleaning the head, and hold down hardware. I'll send the injectors to Bora Parts to have them fit a set of Titan 502's. I will post the results after installation and IQ adjustment etc.

Last edited:

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Had the motor mounts replaced and now there's MUCH less vibration. :)

Next on the agenda: Rear axle beam bushings.

highbody

Veteran Member
TDI
95 indian red wagon (glx swapped), 97 classic green wagon (Glx swapped)..SOLD
new starter
new ignition switch
removed air bag on driver and passanger side (installed b3 glove box and earlie euro jetta steering wheel)

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Ya I would be down for a rental too ;)

Got my gauges in and functional too !

Now off to the muffler shop next week to get my exhaust made up, got my Magnaflow resonator few days ago.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Finally finished the timing belt.

For the record, I used boraparts' deluxe oldpoopie kit

Changed:
Timing belt, tensioner, idler roller
Water pump, composite gasket
Serp tensioner, serp idler pulley

Fixed:
MAF Wiring
N75 Wiring
And other wiring that the roadants got to! :mad:

Upgraded:
Alternator form fixed to Clutch pulley, Gates PN 37010P - Can be had for $65 on Amazon! You will need Metalnerd's alternator tool set to install it. I have already noticed that the serpentine belt tensioner moves VERY little, compared to before it shook like it had the DT's!

Engine fired right up! Timing was slightly above midline withg no adjustment!
I do see a little movement in the timing; I'm wondering if the crank pulley needs to be changed. :confused:

Tony

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Timing was slightly above midline withg no adjustment!
I do see a little movement in the timing; I'm wondering if the crank pulley needs to be changed. :confused:

Tony
If you are referring to the timing graph plot point moving vertically while watching the timing, I consider it normal for the timing to move up and down 4-5 ploy points.

I find that older pumps have a tendency to move more, and newer pumps move less (or not at all) - Last time I checked, my timing graph plot fluctuates 3-4 points up and down on the live timing graph. Has been doing so for two years now.

Always a good Idea to check your crank pulley, but wouldn't that have been a good idea when the belt was off? :D

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Always a good Idea to check your crank pulley, but wouldn't that have been a good idea when the belt was off? :D
Well, yeah. :rolleyes:

I just didn't have time and $ to buy a crank yank.

If the timing moving only +/-3 degrees is considered normal, I'm not too worried.

Tony

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Cabrio wheel is the same as the MKIV sport 3 spoke wheel, it's a direct fit for a B4. Even the airbag connectors are the same ! I deleted the airbag as I'm not a fan of them. The clock spring and everything fits like a glove for an OEM look.

A4 cars use diff splines and diff clock spring so you can't swap em as easy w/o modifying. I had the A3.5 Cabrio wheel on in just under 5 min in my driveway last night ! Our columns are same as A3 cars, and the Cabrio A3.5 is a weird red headed stepchild in the Golf family... Pic coming soon

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Meh seatbelts are enough of a safety for me ;) people drove car w/o bags for years as long as you are buckled up you will be fine.

Cabrio wheel, no mods needed to make fit.

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32

100% plug n play and I no longer have to smack the airbag when I want to hit the horn... Used to having all my horns in all my cars on the center of the wheel, not buttons

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mike,
Thanks for posting! I may have to find a cabrio wheel and airbag!

Another question....What is the USB port for, under the radio? Charging port? USB for the radio?

Tony

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Maybe just because I'm not used to it, but it looks huge!

I do like the aspect of having a real "horn". Especially when you're really angry and are rushing to prove that point to a horrible driver. End up honking them 10 seconds after their infraction =p

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Thanks guys, the USB is for my iPod hook up. The radio has a USB input and I decided to put it right there. Flash drives etc fit right in and I'm jamn when needed... Stereo is awesome, Bluetooth A2D support etc.

Jeremy the wheel is smaller than the stock one by a tinny bit. Maybe it just looks weird in the pictures.
FYI steering wheels command a big $$ as they are hot with the MK3 guys since its a direct swap for em also. I bought the wheel on eBay for 55 bux shipped and then shopped around for an airbag. No one wanted to ship explosives so I had them remove the squid/igniter from the back of the horn pad. I spent 150 on this mod and love it ! Goes along rather well with the updated MKIV shifter box/shifter tower for a much more pleasurable drive.

MKIV R32 wheel would have been better but it's not a direct swap and people on the vortex want 400+ for just a wheel alone. The Cabrio wheel looks similar to the R wheel, but it's diff offset and rim is diff shape. I do wish we could have a telescoping feature on our cars, the wheel is too far forward for my short arms.

sccaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
96TDI Passat, 1.6 81d caddy, 86d golf, 82d rabbit, 81ALH caddy, 82 Westy
I'm still researching the diff codes. Have been busy with cotton harvest. I posted the PN of the ECU in the b4 ck engine codes thread. Light is now coming on sometimes and then flickers some. It started doing this after I changed fuel filter. Ck the thread.

How are the codes and fixes coming along? I know I didn't get around to replying as I said I would.

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
Got hella flush yO ;)
25mm H&R Trak+ bolt on spacers on 16x8 BBS Moda Sport... New tires next week of the right size, current ones are 40 profile. 205-50-16 Winter Sports coming.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Nice looking wheels and tires.I bet it's a bear to steer.
Just got my Frost heater installed. A really tight fit but it's in. Can't wait (liar me) till it's really cold!

dieseljunkie

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDI wagon
Fixed power steering leaks

Installed this POR15'ed power steering suction pipe and finished fixing the leaks in my power steering right before it got dark.:D

For details see this thread http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=335043

Those in the rust belt may want to check their lines for rust. One neat thing I am trying is putting the left over POR15 can into a canning jar and drawing a vacuum of 25" HG to give it a longer shelf life. I've had opened cans that have hardended and became useless after several months of opening. Since POR-15 cures with moisture and it's expensive sh$t, I think putting it in a vacuum will work to keep it from hardening. I will find out in a few months!

One thing I want to add is that I followed the manufacturers directions of putting a piece of Saran wrap on the lid before putting it on (otherwise the lid will be glued shut and not come off again). When I drew the vacuum in the canning jar, the lid popped off! That was a good thing since there's moisture in the headspace. So I punched a smalll pinhole in the lid and the Saran wrap so it stays put and the air inside it can be evacuated.

Last edited:

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
POR15... Did you do your whole under carriage ? My b4 has some weak looking spots around the body plug holes. I would like to get the rust stopped before it gets worse ! I too have to replace that hard line, it looks very bad and might burst soon.

My B4 got GTi "Party" seats with heaters today... Still gotta wire up the seats, but they seem more comfy than the worn out B4 seats. Black/Tan doesn't bother me, flows with the black dash :)