has anyone collected on the post fix waranty?

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
So I elected to get my fix and take the blood money, Fast forward about 6 months and I am getting a check engine light for EGR and particulate trap below efficiency, light comes and goes but the codes are there. Around the same time I got a cooling fan jammed error, its the big one it does feel free, just like the smaller one, but the output test in vcds only makes the small one run.

I know they are on the hook to replace the EGR and DPF, but is the cooling fan also included? I saw mention of the cooling system, and as far as I'm concerned the fan is part of it. looks like a genuine article runs about 300 for just the big fan, the usual knockoffs are around 200 for the shroud and both fans..

Thanks in advance,
Greg

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I think the warranty reads "anything reasonably related". My dealer said the information they received is over 200 pages. They had to call VW to know if my intake manifold was covered. It was covered! I also just got a new glow plug last week.

I'm 2 for 2! Thank you VW!

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
+1 Bring it back to dealer and ask for warranty. Uf they decline, can call VW customer Advocate and dispute it. Can't hurt. You already got a manafold and plugs...

Billion003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf
I've seen videos suggesting these types of problems might be likely after the fix. Maybe what they claim is true. Maybe not. Is there a thread on TDIclub about problems that are likely related to the various fixes?

I have not gotten mine fixed yet. I have also heard that the fix, in some form or fashion, has to be ratified by the individual states. I hear that only 16 states have "ratified." I understand that in my state I don't actually have to have anything done to my car - no fix required. I don't get the blood money but then maybe, too, I don't get the problems brought on my the fix itself.
I'm still considering not doing it. Then at some point in the future getting the HPFP done, paying out of pocket.

Any thoughts on this? To those in the know here, is this potential course of action feasible?

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Today I got p2002. That's number 3 check engine light for me after the fix in ~7,000 miles and 9 months. I have 160,000 miles on my car, so I suppose this could have happened anyway. The good news, now it's covered by the warranty and I have an extra $5100.00 in my pocket. I don't like the extra regen activity and it has affected the mileage, but I still love driving the car, things are being fixed for free, and I have the extra cash.

I can't imagine keeping the car without the fix. I can imagine getting the fix and then undoing things after the warranty is done. I'll have to wait and see how I feel after about 3 more years. Then a new GTI might be in my future. Then again, I might do the tune delete thing and see how long I can go with the car. It really is a very nice car!

Last edited:

Billion003

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf
What I'm wondering is whether even though I'll have a broad warranty I'll be going back and forth to the dealership to constantly get something fixed that the "fix" caused. I can only assume the extra few thousand dollars will be worth the trouble. And will that extra money make up for the potential lower resale value of a "fixed" car if and when it is ever sold.

Last edited:

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
Well I think overall the fix was acceptable even though I now have a check engine light, if you look back through the forum you see plenty of roached dpf's and clogged egr's pre fix, so if you can get a free one then go for it. plus the extra 4300 I got in blood money takes the sting out. if you really don't like the way it acts then just put your 4k into a dpf delete and tune!

Last edited:

the_janitor

TDI
2011 Golf Highline DSG
Turbo was replaced shortly after the fix (over a month ago). DPF replaced earlier this week. Should have been over 2 weeks ago but the dealer got too busy with brake recalls on the 2018 Golfs. So yeah, I was driving around with a bad DPF that was probably accelerating the death of my EGR. Hopefully I get a check engine light so that gets replaced soon too -- haha. I would like to thank the financial gods for granting us extended warranties.

Last edited:

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, good luck with that, I took mine in with the dpf and egr code, dealer says $99 for the diagnostic, don't worry if its covered its covered, I say fine. later that day they say it needs a DPF and EGR filter maybe valve too, its covered by your extended waranty, we just need a fuel test.. another 99 if its contaminated.. OK, I know I only put regular diesel in it from reasonable stores, keep a record too.. Fine says I. they call back, say fuel is contaminated, and the warranty claim is denied, I owe 228 dollars.

They say call VW customer care... I do and after several days of back and forth they tell me that because whatever mickey mouse test they use said my fuel was contaminated I am not covered, never mind that the light came on first about 8 tanks of fuel ago (I was in the middle of a move, and extremely busy at work so could not bring it in) or that the car is running fine, no drivability issues or otherwise (grenaded HPFP) So now I'm annoyed, I have the particulate filter from my old sportwagon (only 30k on it, and looks like a egr filter is only a couple hundred dollars, jobs a bit of a pita but I can do it, changed my timing belt successfully, pretty sure I can handle this. Now the only real question is to go full buzken and divorce myself from this whole emissions debachel, I'm sure they have already black balled my car for any future warranty claims, no incentive to keep this lameduck system intact.... Thoughts?