Let me get this straight, A/C Compressor clutch question.

Keven

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I just wanted to double check a couple things about replacing my clutch coil. I found the link posted below and it seems pretty easy. I am just wondering why it is recommended to removed the compressor from its bracket. I replaced the clutch plate and it seems like it's pretty easy to get to without removing the compressor. Is it just 2 C clips that are holding the magnet and pulley on?

As far as troubleshooting goes, if my A/C compressor isn't kicking on, I should first check if I am getting 12V to the clutch? If I am , replace the clutch? If not, look into the FCM or fuses?

My compressor turns over fine and my freon charge is full.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Check the voltage. Also you can unplug the clutch and put 12v to it and see if it engages.

There are several temp and pressure switches in series with the clutch that can keep it from working.

There's a decent troubleshooting thread here for the A4. Search.

Keven

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Bump, gave it a try tonight and failed. I was able to get the pulley off and then I realized why you all said the compressor had to be unbolted. I couldn't get my c-clip pliers in there to remove the clutch coil. So I unbolted the two 16mm bolts that I thought held the compressor to the bracket. No luck as the compressor wouldn't budge. What else is holding the compressor on there?

As far as the clutch, mine was looking chipped as you can see below. Not sure what that is about. I tried testing the voltage going to it and I was getting 3.7 volts with A/C off. If I turned the A/C on it would switch from 3.7 to 4.65-8.65 volts every 4 seconds. I assume this is the FCM trying to get it to turn on. I then tried, with the car on and running, putting 12v to the red on the clutch magnet and grounding the other end. The clutch didnt engage or do anything. Sound like a faulty clutch magnet?

How do I get that compressor off?

Mavrick

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta TDI
The compressor has collapsable bushings in the back side of it, they stay tight to the bracket. Used a pry bar and pry it back and forth, wiggle it out.

Be sure to keep those shims on the main shaft, do not lose them.

gquenstedt

Veteran Member
TDI
'06, '03 x 2, '00
The compressor is only held on by the two 16mm head bolts that you removed, but it has inserts that squeeze tight on to the mounting bracket when the bolts are tightened. You can either gently pry the compressor away from the bracket with a pry bar or you can get a short bolt the same thread as the compressor mounting bolts (M10) and put it through a socket that is big enough to fit over the threaded inserts and screw it in to the inserts from the back and it will pull them out and let the compressor release. If you use the bolt/socket method it will already reset the inserts for re installation, otherwise you need a c-clamp and socket to push the inserts out so that the compressor will go back on the bracket.

The best way to test the clutch coil is to use your digital multimeter on the ohm setting and measure the ohms across the two wires going in to the coil. It should measure ~4 ohms. The fluctuating voltage to the coil doesn't sound right to me.

Keven

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Thanks guys. I will try again to take that compressor off next time I get a chance. I figured it was something like that but a few whacks with a rubber mallet and nothing budged. I need my car to get to work and I didn't want to be left stranded so I went ahead and put everything back together because time was running out.

Why is my clutch magnet all chipped up like that?

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Back the mounting bolts out one turn or so then whack them in to move the bushings back.

venom

TDI
2000 JETTA SILVER
i got mine out without taking bolts out but i also cleaned out the charge cooler good luck

Keven

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Looks like 2nd try was a charm. KLXD's method for moving the bushings back worked like a charm. I haven't taken it for a test drive yet but my compressor clutch engages now and a/c blows cold! Success! I did notice one of my fans stopped working though so thats next on my list.

KLXD, Maverick, gquenstedt, thanks so much for your help!

Ripousse

TDI
2000 mk4
Check the voltage. Also you can unplug the clutch and put 12v to it and see if it engages.

There are several temp and pressure switches in series with the clutch that can keep it from working.

There's a decent troubleshooting thread here for the A4. Search.
The compressor is only held on by the two 16mm head bolts that you removed, but it has inserts that squeeze tight on to the mounting bracket when the bolts are tightened. You can either gently pry the compressor away from the bracket with a pry bar or you can get a short bolt the same thread as the compressor mounting bolts (M10) and put it through a socket that is big enough to fit over the threaded inserts and screw it in to the inserts from the back and it will pull them out and let the compressor release. If you use the bolt/socket method it will already reset the inserts for re installation, otherwise you need a c-clamp and socket to push the inserts out so that the compressor will go back on the bracket.

The best way to test the clutch coil is to use your digital multimeter on the ohm setting and measure the ohms across the two wires going in to the coil. It should measure ~4 ohms. The fluctuating voltage to the coil doesn't sound right to me.
I need help with pushing the inserts out with the socket bolt method or c clamp method.
I don't understand how do it.
Can somebody help me?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
You don’t need to push those bushings out just move them 1mm or less. I used a pry bar and wiggled the compressor body out and then a small hammer to tap on the bushings so I could get the compressor back in when I was finished replacing the clutch mechanism.

Ripousse

TDI
2000 mk4
You don’t need to push those bushings out just move them 1mm or less. I used a pry bar and wiggled the compressor body out and then a small hammer to tap on the bushings so I could get the compressor back in when I was finished replacing the clutch mechanism.
Send me an email
Felixlandryaaa@gmail.com
Remove the a's after my name
It worked, you saved my life.
I want to send you 20$

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Appreciate the thought, no need to send any money, just glad to help.