Bew loads of smoke and oil in intercooler!

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
I was taking off from a stop when I lost most power and the car started smoking bigtime; I checked the intercooler and about half a quart poured out oil; I started the car to move it in the parking lot and it smoked like crazy... what do I do now? Did my turbo blow? Whats the next step as i have it towed at my house now

Thank you and much appreciated

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Do you have oil dripping out your tail pipe? What color is the smoke? Black or white/grey?

Black smoke like coal means you popped a boost hose. White/grey with that oil in the intercooler you spoke about probably means the turbo let go.

To check you’ll have to pull the lower boost hose off where it connects to the turbo and stick your finger in there and see what kind of movement the compressor wheel has. Maybe take a pic with your phone.

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
Will post up photos shortly!

No oil out of pipe

It was white/grey smoke - from the reading upon reading i will buy a new stcok turbo setup with manifold and replace the entire thing and bring mine as a core to get replaced? Still have to make sure thats what it is though

Thanks again