Change air filter, is this normal?

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI, 2011 JSW TDI & 2018 Atlas 2.0T S
I got this 2006 MK5 a few months ago and started changing out some filters. I changed the engine air filter and noticed the spring loaded door is stuck opened. Is that normal or should it be closed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
It should not be stuck open, but is so when it fails. This is a pathway to draw intake air from over the exhaust manifold in order to warm up the engine quicker in cold weather to obtain better operating optimization. These tend to fail, resulting in overly warm air being used to charge the turbo, etc. I am in Florida, where this is not particularly important. I have zip tied mine closed and removed the partition between its side of the air cleaner and the other side. I am not certain this was the best way to handle the problem, but it seemed to work in that the intake now breathes better.

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI, 2011 JSW TDI & 2018 Atlas 2.0T S
It should not be stuck open, but is so when it fails. This is a pathway to draw intake air from over the exhaust manifold in order to warm up the engine quicker in cold weather to obtain better operating optimization. These tend to fail, resulting in overly warm air being used to charge the turbo, etc. I am in Florida, where this is not particularly important. I have zip tied mine closed and removed the partition between its side of the air cleaner and the other side. I am not certain this was the best way to handle the problem, but it seemed to work in that the intake now breathes better.
What causes it to fail and is there a way to fix it?

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
I realize now that I incorrectly ascribed it being 'stuck open' as indicating a failed condition, as I was assuming a particular engine status. It is supposed to be open until the engine warms up and closed once that has occurred. New parts fix problems, but yours may actually have nothing wrong with it, as you may be observing it simply working as designed.

chaos2984

TDI
06 Jetta
i have this same issue with mine. I noticed it when i was replacing the DMF. Is there any way to just replace that part or do you have to buy the whole air box. Or can you fix it.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Open up the spring mechanism and find a way to jam it to keep it closed. There's no need to pull hot air into the intake.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
So I was reviewing the Bentley manual as pertaining to the turbo. On page 186 they have a drawing of the turbo parts, with either part #21, the air duct to air filter for hot air intake, or part #22, a heat shield as being used. On page 187 it specifically states that the air duct part #22 is "For cold country equipment only".

Since I do not consider Florida to be cold country, I am now trying to source part #22, a heat shield, so I can eliminate one more part in this engine compartment.