After market stereo install

DieselDuberrr

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta
Hey guys.
So I looked this up but I'm still confised, so maybe someone can draw it in crayon... I'm sure it's super simple

I have a 03 jetta tdi, and I want to upgrade my head unit. Thinking eBay double din, there are some decent deals to be had.

I used to have a passat that had a single din Sony head unit when I picked it up. I needed some VagCom scans done and it wouldn't scan. Apparently it was something to do with the head unit.

I want to install a new one in my jetta, but I need to have the VagCom work still.

Is there anything I need to do when installing that was done wrong when the passat was done??

Cheers guys

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You can actually buy newer aftermarket radios that work on the CAN bus, so if your car has steering wheel controls for the radio, they will work still. There are even some that will interface with certain other modules to have features like speed linked volume, muting when in reverse, etc. Just depends on the car and the radio.

alally

TDI
2000 Golf Automatic
I just bought a JVC KD-R780BT for my 2000 Golf from Crutchfield.com, to replace the stock cassette/FM. It was super easy. I don't have any steering wheel controls so it was a very simple swapout. The exact wire harness was provided along with instructions that made the process easy. The Crutchfield site is very helpful for matching up your make/model/year of car to whatever you want in a player; I'd give them a try. I'm very happy with my new unit; I went from the 1970's to the 2010's in less than 30 mins.

Last edited:

sdean7855

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
I am considering a Pioneer FH-S501BT for my '03 TDI...BestBuy offers it for $110 with "free Installation" but the installation parts cost another $120. Crutchfield offers a later FH-S701BS and all the install gear for $190, total. While my current radio is a sorta doubleDIN Monsoon, the original radio didn't say monsoon when it came on. Part of the installation parts expense is some sort of electronics package that talks to the car's bus apparently. Is this really necessary? Some cars appear to have had an external amp in the trunk on the passenger side, but I don't see any sign of it.
Comments, suggestions?

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Tiguan TDI 4Motion, Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD
I guess a newer VW head unit would also be a possibility.
What exactly are you looking for in "upgrades"? There are several VW radios that fit, it just depends on what you want. There are also add ons for your radio that may give you what you want.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
I am considering a Pioneer FH-S501BT for my '03 TDI...BestBuy offers it for $110 with "free Installation" but the installation parts cost another $120. Crutchfield offers a later FH-S701BS and all the install gear for $190, total. While my current radio is a sorta doubleDIN Monsoon, the original radio didn't say monsoon when it came on. Part of the installation parts expense is some sort of electronics package that talks to the car's bus apparently. Is this really necessary? Some cars appear to have had an external amp in the trunk on the passenger side, but I don't see any sign of it.
Comments, suggestions?
Single Din... (with the K-line) has the ACC and ILL wires for aftermarket install.

Double Din... (with Can+ and Can-, don't connect them) uses the CanBus for ACC and ILL. A CANbus module will give you the connections, or tap into the headlight switch (iirc, gray/blue) for ILL and a fuse connected to the 75x terminal for ACC.