Settlement Team Asked For My Car Back Post "Fix"

mrmoto35

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE w/SR
At the end of July this year I had my "fix" performed at a local dealer and very shortly after received my settlement. Then at the beginning of Sept. I received the following email...

"Mr. *******,
We are reaching out to you from the Volkswagen TDI Settlement Team in hopes of discussing some information regarding your 2013 Passat TDI. We have attempted to reach you via phone but have been unsuccessful. At your earliest convenience, please contact us at the TDI Settlement tea....

Best regards,
TDI Settlement Support"

The same day I received this email I got a call from a man on the settlement team. They contacted me because they say their records show that the "fix" did not properly load and they asked me to bring my car to a dealer of my choosing at a scheduled date/time so that they could send a rep to inspect my car.

He told me they would need to keep my car for an unspecified amount of time while they determine why the fix did not apply correctly (or at all) and determine the resolution. They also rented a car for me while they had my car and mailed me $250.00 in gift cards

I probably would have just ignored this since I had my proof of recall performed document and my settlement money except that my car was not able to pass CA smog testing after the fix had been applied. They had my car for 2 weeks and still had no resolution so I demanded they give me my car back until they have a fix for the "fix". To this day I have not heard back from them.

Has anyone here had this experience and if so, did it get resolved?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
ouch.

make sure you like the car they rented for you. it may be a while.

a few of us had the DSG transmission update fail as part of the "fix" on some 09 Jettas and JSWs. now is into the third month.

mrmoto35

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE w/SR
VW does not have my car right now. After 2 weeks of just sitting at the dealer while VW is trying to figure it out, I called the settlement team and told them I am taking my car back. I told them that when they have a fix or need to check something else I am 10 minutes away and I will bring it back so they can do their thing. I did not want my car sitting there for months doing nothing. It drives fine and I travel often and I didn't want to travel in a crappy rental the gets 19mpg

mrmoto35

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE w/SR
ouch.

make sure you like the car they rented for you. it may be a while.

a few of us had the DSG transmission update fail as part of the "fix" on some 09 Jettas and JSWs. now is into the third month.
Have you had any movement with your failed fix? I have not heard one thing from VW in 2.5 months.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
bupkis

have not heard squat.

had my hopes up a couple weeks ago when members here reported getting calls, but the updated fix only worked on two of four cars at the dealer where mine sits.

the settlement plaintiff lawyer who I have been working with indicated that after the long delayed wait without my car, I could switch to the buyback, so I picked up a 2017 golf wagon with 4motion.

I wanted to get an equinox with diesel, but wife did not like the front seat/armrest.

Just as well, with the GSW, I can reuse tire chains, snow tires, and some of my tools. have to renew my familiarity with the spark plug socket, which has been neglected the past 205,000 miles.

cleaned out my old car over the weekend, transferred the plates to my new car, and moving on with life.

mrmoto35

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE w/SR
bupkis

have not heard squat.

had my hopes up a couple weeks ago when members here reported getting calls, but the updated fix only worked on two of four cars at the dealer where mine sits.

the settlement plaintiff lawyer who I have been working with indicated that after the long delayed wait without my car, I could switch to the buyback, so I picked up a 2017 golf wagon with 4motion.

I wanted to get an equinox with diesel, but wife did not like the front seat/armrest.

Just as well, with the GSW, I can reuse tire chains, snow tires, and some of my tools. have to renew my familiarity with the spark plug socket, which has been neglected the past 205,000 miles.

cleaned out my old car over the weekend, transferred the plates to my new car, and moving on with life.
It is looking like I will have to sell it back. It has been 8 months and even though some in the same boat have had theirs fixed, I was told the other day that there is still no fix for mine.
The buy back ends in December. I could probably get an extension on that but it does not look like they will ever have a fix. I suspected this all along. Pretty sure nobody at VW is even working on this.
I think it is time to remove all my post purchase additions and move on...

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sorry to hear this.

what kind of loaner did they give you?

and at least you got a couple gift cards, all I got was nice words from the service rep at the dealer.

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
mrmoto35: What transmission does your car have? I remember reading that there was no fix for the 6-speed, but the fix for the DSGs is fine. Maybe yours was the guinnea pig.

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
Why does anyone want to keep a TDI?

I have yet to read a rational, financially quantifiable reason to keep a TDI for a fix instead of a buyback aside from some emotional, fragmented justification. Get a 328d if you must have a diesel. The 8sp ZF transmission is reason enough to own that car. The buyback is a great deal. Not having to post in this forum is another good reason.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Why do you care why? I bought mine for the warranty. No other new car has a warranty that even comes close to this deal. I expect to own my car for the long haul. Between the emissions warranty and my GEICO MBI I expect to pay very little for any needed repairs for the next 10 years /152k miles (already have nearly 10k of my own miles on it). I got a new car for a good price that I am happy with and like driving. Not to mention it gets over 40 mpg every tank on my commuting, easy without even trying. Unlike the others the Beetle still has a 15 gallon fuel tank and can go over 700 miles when traveling.

Ever priced maintenance on a BMW? There is a reason a lot of owners won't own one out of warranty. Unless you do your own work they are a very expensive car to maintain.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,

I have yet to read a rational, financially quantifiable reason to keep a TDI for a fix instead of a buyback aside from some emotional, fragmented justification. Get a 328d if you must have a diesel. The 8sp ZF transmission is reason enough to own that car. The buyback is a great deal. Not having to post in this forum is another good reason.

Price difference between even a used 328d and anything VW offers is a solid 10K. Enough said right there. Sure you could find a high mile 328d for on par with a VW offering, but then you have a high mile car, something we'll be avoiding.

demagxc

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL

If I sold back my 2015 there would have been so chance of finding another car that came close to the MPGs, or comfort for the same price. Sure I could have turned around and bought an econobox and pocketed a few grand but I would have been left with far less car than I had before. On top of that, all the restitution/fix money has gone into a bank account that u only use for vehicle maintenance for the TDI and my wife's Mazda. I get to drive without any out of pocket maintenance costs until the money runs out. If I need a new expensive tool to do a job, or maybe something that isn't necessary but would make my wrenching easier, I don't hesitate to pay for it with VW money.

Honestly, my TDI has been the best vehicle purchase I could have made. I got exactly what I wanted and get paid to keep driving it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mrmoto35

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SE w/SR

Somebody ban this muppet

MonkeyWrench

TDI
2012 JSW TDi
Hey mrmoto, wondering how you're faring. I wanted to keep my 09 manual sedan. I loved that car. I watched prices and mileage on the modified Gen 1's that were coming on the market, and I found a screaming deal on a 2012 manual sportwagen with 60k miles on it. The sticker price was $1k less than my buy-back value on my sedan with 113,000 miles... you know the rest of the story. I just got my money on the buy back today, and I'm loving my TDI sportwagen. I hope your story has a happy ending!