Hard start on "cool" and cold start mornings

Blondee

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Hard start on \"cool\" and cold start mornings

I know it's now summer now, but I just thought I would bounce this subject. Last winter, my TDI with less than 16000 km (almost 1 yr old) often has a hard time turning over at moderate tempertures (+6 to +9C) or 43 to 48 F.

I even noticed this when I used Stanadyne and Shell diesel fuel.

Is this normal?

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL

Simple answer: No.

My 2002 Golf TDI turns over with not much enthusiasm at -25 Fahrenheit, but that is to be expected and it does turn over fast enough to start with a second or two.

My first guess would be battery, second guess battery connections, third guess starter. If you or a friend has a good multimeter, hook it up to the battery when cranking: if the voltage falls below 9.0 volts (VDC) then the ECM will not work, so the car will not start. If this occurs, you first get the battery tested as that is easy. Then the cables, then the starter.

Bonne chance. I was helping a fellow TDIclub member in the parking lot at work with my VagCom setup: then he started his car and it took forever: his voltage was dipping into the 8.2-8.5 range. He replaced his battery, and le voila it starts right up.

cage

Top Post Dawg

Hate to open a can of worms (there is a group here who thinks this will DESTROY the engine) but mine would smoke and just not start well around 40 degrees. I have advanced my timing in adaptation and the car starts insanely well at any temp (I am not kidding when I say it starts as easily as a gas engine) and runs better than it ever did. Totally smooth running when cold, loves to rev, and has better power. My mileage has also increased by 4 mpg. I only wish I knew about this 5 years ago.

Blondee

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta

Simple answer: No.

My 2002 Golf TDI turns over with not much enthusiasm at -25 Fahrenheit, but that is to be expected and it does turn over fast enough to start with a second or two.

My first guess would be battery, second guess battery connections, third guess starter. If you or a friend has a good multimeter, hook it up to the battery when cranking: if the voltage falls below 9.0 volts (VDC) then the ECM will not work, so the car will not start. If this occurs, you first get the battery tested as that is easy. Then the cables, then the starter.

Bonne chance. I was helping a fellow TDIclub member in the parking lot at work with my VagCom setup: then he started his car and it took forever: his voltage was dipping into the 8.2-8.5 range. He replaced his battery, and le voila it starts right up.
Thanks, I got a multitester. I just have to find the darn thing.

This issue doesn't surface in warmer tempertures, like now.

Blondee

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta

Hard time turning over, or just that you have to crank it a bit for it to light off... or does it stumble after it first starts?
Basically, when it's cool outside or parked for a while then it doesn't "catch" easily when you crank it. I don't think I have ever seen the glow lights stay on.

Now, it's very hot here, so starting is NOT a problem.

Vhunter

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 silver Jetta 5spd TDI

Could it be one of the temp sensors? either the fuel temp or engine temp sensor not
reading correctly? Hook up a computer to check it out..

Drive ON!

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green

Sounds like your base timing is a bit retarded. Makes cold starts harder.