1st oil change results in no-start! :-(

aaron

Veteran Member
TDI
asbarrus
Hi guys,

Just took posession of my 2000 TDI yesterday. I drove it home over 100 miles altogether, and everything was perfect. It was ready for the 40K oil change, which I did last night, and did not attempt to restart it afterwards.

This morning I was looking forward to a road trip to a family reunion, but the car would not start. The engine would turn over and sound like a successful start, and it would run for about one second, then shut off.

I called the local dealer, who kept saying "you must have a dead battery". I insisted that the battery was good, so they said "it's probably the theft detterent system, bring it in and we'll reset the code."

Once I got there, they said "Oh, we thought it was a dead battery, which results in the theft detterent code. If that's not it, then we can't look at it until August 16th because our schedule is full."

So once again, the stealer was incompetent on the phone, so I towed it in for nothing. It is still sitting there, but they can't look at it for three more weeks anyway. I might bring it back home just to keep it in my garage in the meantime, I don't trust it sitting in their lot.

Anyway, the real reason for my post is: What could have gone wrong to keep the car from running? Why would it run for a second then quit?

I put exxon diesel fuel in it - does this sound like a clogged fuel filter? It would be odd, since I drove 30 miles after buying the fuel, and everything worked great.

Could I have installed the filter incorrectly? The oil light does not come on, so I assume it has pressure.

Is there anything else under there that I might have bumped loose?

Please help!

Thanks,

Aaron

Steve T

Veteran Member
The car could be stopping due to the anti-shudder valve. It is a butterfly valve that closes when you turn off the car to stop run-on.
When you took the cover off the motor, there was a vacuum line going to the egr valve that was stuck in in a clip on the cover. The egr valve is where the butterfly valve for the anti-shudder is. On the side of the egr valve you will see another vacuum valve. That valve controls the anti-shudder butterfly valve in the egr. Check to make sure the the valve is not stuck in the closed position (you can manually move the actuator rod through full motion.

Hope this helps.

Steve

DieselDeamon

BANNED
dead battery, Christ were the hell do they find these nuts that work at dealerships, yea i can see a Dead battery now cranking a Diesel engine enough to start it, God where did commen sence go to out the window or somewere???

aaron

Veteran Member
TDI
asbarrus
Hi Steve,

You were right on - this butterfly valve appears to be misbehaving. None of the vacuume hoses were disconnected, and they all appear to function properly. However when I held the butterfly valve open manually, the car started and ran fine. After it started up successfully, it behaved fine too. I must have bumped it somehow when changing the oil, but I'm not sure exactly what happened, or what the solution was. But after fiddling with it, it worked.

I guess I should call the dealer and tell them that I charged the battery, so everything is OK now.

Today was a happy motoring day, and I still love my TDI!

Aaron

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
If your dealer cant take an emergency car and fix it that day or the next morning, you need to find a new dealer. Thats simply unexcusable service. Please dont give money to these morons!

[ July 29, 2001: Message edited by: car 54 ]

Steve T

Veteran Member
Aaron

Good to hear you are up and running.

The valve was probably just stuck closed because of carbon fowling. You may need to take the entire egr off and clean it. While you are at it you should check the intake manifold too, it may also be carboned up also. Do a search on 'intake manifold cleaning' and you will see what I mean. Better yet, if you just bought it there should be some sort of warranty, take it back and have them clean the entire intake.

Steve

JeffT

Veteran Member
Aaron:

After you change your oil you should ALWAYS start it and verify that everything is tight and that your oil is up to the proper level on the dipstick.

Its important IMHO, especially before taking any kind of trip.

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aaron:
I guess I should call the dealer and tell them that I charged the battery, so everything is OK now.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please do us all a favor and call VW Customer Service and complain about the incompetent (dis)service department.

aaron

Veteran Member
TDI
asbarrus
Hi all & Steve,

My car exhibited this behaviour again this morning. It doesn't look like the anti-shudder valve is stuck closed, however after tinkering with the valve, pushing it open and closed, and fiddling with it's associated vacuume hoses, the car started again.

I will search for intake manifold cleaning and see if I can clean things up a bit. Maybe it's time for the CCV mod!

Aaron

Steve T

Veteran Member
Aaron

You may also have to check the vacuum valve itself to see if it is not working properly. First remove the intake hose going into the egr valve and have a look in there, it will most probably be pretty carboned up. This would cause the butterfly valve to stay closed instead of immediately opening after a second or two once the ignition is switched off.

Steve

Mushroom

Hi everyone.

What Aaron's described is *exactly* what has happened to me on 4 seperate occasions.

I thought it was the interaction of the remote central locking/aftermarket alarm with the ECU (after having accidently activated the VW c/l keyfob instead of the alarm fob).

Before I read this, I believed the only thing to do to fix it for my car was to leave the car alone for a few hours for the ECU 'clear itself'.

However, if that is not the case, as has been suggested here, I'd be very grateful for someone posting a picture or three to show me where this valve is located, and what I should need to do to check it out.

Also, does this valve have a sensor which would cause the ECU to flag a CEL light on the dashboard?

The CEL occurs only after I have been usually driving for about 30 minutes under stop-start driving conditions. I can clear the CEL by restarting the car, for the CEL to light up again a few minutes later. There doesn't seem to be any other pattern to this I can tell.

I have just given the car a service (synthetic oil, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, pads, etc), so I have hopefully reduced possible CEL causes.

The car (apart from the CEL) seems completely normal to drive. Is this consistent with a clogged anti-shudder valve?

Thanks in advance

Mushroom

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE

aaron

Veteran Member
TDI
asbarrus
Howdy, sorry for the thread confusion - I thought this topic was inappropriate since it didn't end up being related to the oil change.

Mushroom: I'm quite certain that the problem is isolated now, but I did not have a CEL light from it even after a dozen failed start attempts.

Lately I've been having my wife start the car while I hold the butterfly valve open manually and whacking the control valve. Hey, it got me to work this morning!