Radiator fans wont work.

evileltdude

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW NEW BEETLE GLS TDI ALH,AUTOMATIC
Okay so out of no where my radiator fans quit working. So i replaced the Aux fan switch on the radiator with no luck then bought another switch just to verify still no luck. now ive replaced both fans and yet still nothing. The fans will turn on if my ac is on but no luck other then that. could the be the Fcm?
I moniter my temp thru my scanguage and my assumpion is at 195+ fans turn on.

Last edited:

evileltdude

Veteran Member
TDI
Nothing i was at 220 earlier and still nothing. It was a lot of stop and go traffic,so i hade my heat on full blast to keep the temps down.

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
What about the engine Temp sensor? I'm not looking at the schematics, but as I recall, the Temp sensor provides to bits of out put data. One bit of data goes to the Temp gauge in the Cluster. The other bit of info goes to the ECU. The ECU is "wired" to/with the FCM..........so go figure!

If the FCM is working with the AC, it should be okay otherwise. Although, I do admit, I have had two bad "new" FCMs!....no doubt at all!

evileltdude

Veteran Member
TDI
What about the engine Temp sensor? I'm not looking at the schematics, but as I recall, the Temp sensor provides to bits of out put data. One bit of data goes to the Temp gauge in the Cluster. The other bit of info goes to the ECU. The ECU is "wired" to/with the FCM..........so go figure!

If the FCM is working with the AC, it should be okay otherwise. Although, I do admit, I have had two bad "new" FCMs!....no doubt at all!

Okay update I was doing some investigation on my scanguage and I did happen to notice two tempaure differences one was the standard temp guage for any car and the other is my special code which reads the engine temp sensor, and I have discovered that the engine temp sensor was at 187 while the Standard guage read 215+ and the transmission temp was at 213 so possibly my temp sensor may have been faulty now time To perform some real world testing.

jayrsingh

Veteran Member
TDI
01' Jetta TDI
I heard if the car is running hot, instead of putting heat on, the ac on will spin both fans which will bring down temperature. just a thought