2012 TDI fuel fill-up?

fltpro

TDI
Golf TDI, 2012 6-sp.
Had a 98 TDI Beetle, just got a 2012 TDI Golf, 6 sp. I was telling the tech at the VW dealer how I used to fill my 98 Beetle (nozzle against the vent lever) to get it really full. He admonished me to NOT fill the 2012 Golf all the way up - said that the diesel fuel would perk over into the emissions charcoal canister, loosen the charcoal particles and eventually clog the fuel filter and injectors.

The official VW ETKA illustrated parts manual for the 2012 TDI Golf (for my VIN number), Illustration 201-61, does not show any charcoal canister for my TDI Golf, only for gas models. The illustration shows one each supply and return lines to the fuel supply module in the tank and one vent line running from the top of the tank up to he filler neck. Neither the VW Parts guy nor I could find any charcoal canister in the parts manual for the new TDI Golf.

Likewise, crawling under the car, I could not find any charcoal canister anywhere in the fuel system on this TDI.

Is there anyone out there who is familiar with the fuel systems of the new and recent TDI Golfs who could verify or refute the information I was given. Will "topping off" right to the filler opening prove detrimental as a long-term habit? Thanks!

TDI
None Yet
B/s

I was telling the tech at the VW dealer how I used to fill my
98 Beetle (nozzle against the vent lever) to get it really full.

He admonished me to NOT fill the 2012 Golf all the way up - said that the
diesel fuel would perk over into the emissions charcoal canister, loosen
the charcoal particles and eventually clog the fuel filter and injectors.
Pay no attention to that person as he does not know what he is talking about!

:D

D

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
There are NO charcoal canisters on TDIs. You can safely top off the tank until you see fuel lapping at the edge of the fill port.

Bill