real time: new fans..ac still doesn't work

cruisertoy

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I didn't get a response from an earlier post, but my situation just got worse. my grandmother died three days ago and I have got to drive my wife and kids 3 hrs north to the funeral.my 2000 jetta tdi ac has died and my second vehicle just boiled over while on a Boy scout campout. On the TDI, Niether fan seems to work and the large on would spin freely by hand so after talking to a few people I thought the cooling fan not working might be the problem. I just replaced the fan and niether the fan or the ac work. I don't seem to be getting power at the fan plug. I pulled every fuse in the panel by the drivers seat one by one and they all look fine. Which ones of those are specifically for the ac? The fuse links on the top of the battery all look un melted. If a fan motor went bad, is there something else that needs to be reset to get the system working once the fan has been replaced? Any ideas would be apreciated. I need to try to get this working tonight if at all possible. Thanks for the help.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Turn the A/C button to on, if the fans don't turn on you have a bad fan control relay, mounted under and aft of the battery on the car frame in the engine compartment...just follow the big red wire from the fan you can't miss it.

DB

cruisertoy

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Is the fan control relay the same as the fan control module( black box thing on the frame? I looks like the red and orange wires from the two fans go above this box and under the battery. I was trying to check the cooling fan thermo switch, but I cant get the connector off. DO you just push the tab like any other normal connector? With the ac on, should the fans bypass the thermo switch and turn on? Is there a test I can do on the control module/relay? Are there any other fuses I should be looking at? I put 12 volts to the origional fan and it is dead, so I know that was at least part of my problem. Thanks again for the reply.