Golf mk4 pd vs ve differences

tdiboy

TDI
Golf mk4 1.9
What differences are there from the golf mk4 pd and ve. Obviously i know they have different heads etc but apart from the engine is there something different. I heard the front crash bar is different on the pd150 to fit a fmic. Is it true?
And chasis wise are they the same?
I would appreciate if someone can list the differences
Thanks

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Bodyshell is the same. No idea about the front crash bar but that's a bolt-on piece to the bodyshell anyhow. Engine-side wiring harness is very different. Don't know about the chassis wiring harness.

What are you attempting to do?

tdiboy

TDI
Golf mk4 1.9
For now im not planing to do anything but i was wondering what's different. I imagine the engine harness is different but i doubt that wiring harness of the car is different.
Thanks any ways

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The differences occur year to year, sometimes mid-year, and are going to be far too great to "list" here. A 2000 and a 2003 even with the same engine have a bunch of little differences.

You need to narrow down the context of your question.

tdiboy

TDI
Golf mk4 1.9
The differences occur year to year, sometimes mid-year, and are going to be far too great to "list" here. A 2000 and a 2003 even with the same engine have a bunch of little differences.

You need to narrow down the context of your question.
Im talking about chassis wise.
What the pd has different from the ve.

I dont think they kept changing the chassis

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Well for us, not much. For you, there are lots depending on which engine.

For us, the A4 platform cars only ever got two diesels: 1999 through 2003 was a VE90 ALH, 2004+ was a PD100 BEW. That's it. So within that, we got cars from three different plants (German, Mexican, Brazilian). All the manuals are essentially the same 02J 5sp from Argentina, with minor shifter improvements and slightly taller gears for the BEW. The automatics used with the 4sp 01M with the ALH and the BEW got the 5sp 09A Jatco. Although the BEW Beetles got the 6sp 02E DSG as the automatic option.

All our ALH and BEW cars use the same brakes, however the rear caliper lever and parking brake cables were improved during the 2000 model year. The ABS system improved a couple times, and ESP became an option in 2003. Suspension was mostly the same, but there are lots of spring codes. Steering is mostly the same, but some German built cars later on got a different power steering pressure line with a little curly-cue at the rack, and a couple different pumps were used on ALH engines which means the lines are different.

Europe has WAY more options. So this makes a LOT more possibilities. SDIs, TDIs, higher output TDIs, GTDs, 4motion, rough road suspensions, all kinds of things. So for you, "VE" or "PD" still leaves a lot of questions.