Dealer service requirements for CPO TDI resale

johncalhoun

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE
I just purchased a 2014 Passat SE, automatic from a dealer in north alabama. 57k miles, one owner, CPO, fix done etc. Been looking at buying a TDI, Jetta or Passat, and was pleased for all the extra warranties and the two year CPO, all for $12k. They had some minor blemishes to fix in paint, and since the holidays, actually don't have the car yet. But after test driving, I bought the car. (BTW, they had 53 on website, only about 20 or so ready to sale, and I looked at all the cars on site. Man, some of them were trashed, like they stood in time, coke cups from previous owners that turned in, etc.)
Heres my question: Were the dealers required to flush brakes, DEF tank etc? Mine had new tires, didn't really think to ask or check these things before I bought. But, it was a CPO, so I assumed they wouldn't sell if things needed to be done (may be an error on my part). I asked salesman to send me the list of all the service they did prior to sale, just so I will know. Here's a link I found, that says dealers were authorized to do these things, don't know if it is accurate. Thanks
https://idpartsblog.com/2018/02/19/buying-a-fixed-tdi-things-to-check/

JesseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, Premium package
They are required by VW to bring all service current (using VW regular service schedule) and complete a very long checklist (that they should give you a carbon copy of when you buy the vehicle) to be able to sell the vehicle as CPO. That being said, I'm sure there are a handful of dealers out there that just pencil whip the checklist and give the car a good wash and wax and put it out on their lot to save themselves a couple bucks (because the dealer pays for any servicing on the vehicles they sell) and charge a hair more for the CPO label. Just try to make sure you are working with a reputable dealer.

johncalhoun

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE
Appreciate the input. I'm wondering if they are required to change things that are not part of mileage based maintenance since these vehicles spent time in storage?

JesseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, Premium package
Required? No, but the good dealers will if you ask them to to sweeten the deal. The great dealers will have already done it and will provide you documentation.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
From my experience, the CPO isn't worth much. Most of these buyback cars got the fix performed (often poorly), if they needed a new battery they dropped one of those in (often poorly, in some cases not even a VAG battery), and if they had low tire tread, they slapped some new (usually the cheapest of the cheap Chinapops) on there. Some might get new rotors if they were exceptionally rusty, but most do not.

And an oil change... sometimes they skip the filter (seriously!).

You really need to just evaluate the specific car on a case-by-case basis. And assume that literally nothing extra has been done unless they specifically state it was. I've even had post-fix buyback cars in here with not only a K&N air filter in them, but the stupid sticker still stuck on the air cleaner housing.

Remember, these are a cash grab for the dealers, and they will absolutely do as little as necessary to get them sale ready. I have had about 30 buyback cars through here now, most are fine, some are creampuffs, but some are just horrid. I even made a thread about it here. I have had some that needed $2k+ worth of work right out of the box just to bring them up to a decent serviceable level, and even then they were going to have some issues crop up later (usually rust related).

johncalhoun

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE
Well, talked with salesman today and reviewed the service records, car to be delivered tomorrow. Looks like they did all the required maintenance, brakes, transmission fluid etc. So I feel pretty good that the car is ready to go. Looking forward to driving it tomorrow, except paying high tennessee taxes to register!!!! Appreciate the input to my question.

johncalhoun

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE
Got the car yesterday and all the fluids and filters, except the coolant had been changed. They did a good job on just about everything, and really enjoy driving the car. But, this morning, 32 deg here, drove to get some breakfast and the passenger side heater flow was very cold. After reading some threads, realized I must have the same heater core issue. Will have to take too dealer. Really disappointed they didn't check that out good in their CPO inspection....since it is a known issue apparently.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Don't wait to get anything needed taken care of either. the sooner the better on this stuff. Replacement is the key here not just a flush and fill. Read up here about what needs to be done.

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT Pano (Sold), 2015 Golf S 4DR 6MT (Sold), 1999.5 Jetta TDI Tornado Red (Sold)
From my experience, the CPO isn't worth much. Most of these buyback cars got the fix performed (often poorly), if they needed a new battery they dropped one of those in (often poorly, in some cases not even a VAG battery), and if they had low tire tread, they slapped some new (usually the cheapest of the cheap Chinapops) on there. Some might get new rotors if they were exceptionally rusty, but most do not.
And an oil change... sometimes they skip the filter (seriously!).
You really need to just evaluate the specific car on a case-by-case basis. And assume that literally nothing extra has been done unless they specifically state it was. I've even had post-fix buyback cars in here with not only a K&N air filter in them, but the stupid sticker still stuck on the air cleaner housing.
Remember, these are a cash grab for the dealers, and they will absolutely do as little as necessary to get them sale ready. I have had about 30 buyback cars through here now, most are fine, some are creampuffs, but some are just horrid. I even made a thread about it here. I have had some that needed $2k+ worth of work right out of the box just to bring them up to a decent serviceable level, and even then they were going to have some issues crop up later (usually rust related).
This is definitely the case for most cars that I looked at. My car was CPO and had pads and rotors, but the dealer wouldn't give me any further info other than the fact that they performed the "20k service" (the car had 22,800 when I bought it). I know that they did change the oil, put a new battery in, and do the pads and rotors. Other than that, I took it upon myself to change the oil and filter, fuel filter, air filter, cabin filter, transmission fluid, and do a brake fluid flush on the car shortly after buying it. I'm keeping receipts and records for all maintenance performed on this car.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I looked at a 2014 Passat TDI SEL the other day. Salesman tried to tell me they put about $3k into reconditioning each vehicle. I told him I didn't believe that and pointed out at least a dozen things to him that anyone would have had done that were visible just from looking at the car from the outside. Never had good luck from the sales side of things at this dealer. Service has always been good though.

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT Pano (Sold), 2015 Golf S 4DR 6MT (Sold), 1999.5 Jetta TDI Tornado Red (Sold)
I looked at a 2014 Passat TDI SEL the other day. Salesman tried to tell me they put about $3k into reconditioning each vehicle. I told him I didn't believe that and pointed out at least a dozen things to him that anyone would have had done that were visible just from looking at the car from the outside. Never had good luck from the sales side of things at this dealer. Service has always been good though.
Strange how they can be hit or miss. The dealer where we bought my wife's car has great sales, bad service. The other dealer near us is the opposite.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I have bought 6 new cars from Charles Maund VW in Austin due to the other dealer Hewlett VW sales attitudes. Charles Maund has great service and sales so far for me, just not as close as Hewlett VW.

johncalhoun

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE
I can only speak from my "recent VW purchase" experience. Took a lot for granted, which I usually don't, but CPO meant to me they checked and/or fixed everything, otherwise they wouldn't warranty a 5 year old car with almost 60K miles. As another poster in this thread eluded, may not be all the same for some dealers. My salesperson give me all the service records they did: transmission fluid, oil change, new rotors, brakes, brake fluid flush, new tires (Nexan N5000 - probably cheap but they drive good even in wet weather), air filter, cabin filter, fuel filter. It also has some slight paint issue on the hood, and rear quarter panel that they repaired. Also caught up all recalls. (Don't know if this is $3k or not). Wish they had checked the heater core thing, but if that's all that is wrong, I can live with it. I drove the car several miles today and am absolutely amazed at power. It handles great, looks like new on the inside. So, very happy with my decision, so much so that I'm thinking of buying a Jetta TDI for my 18 yr old son, if I can convince him that it would be a cool car to drive. (of course, make him pay half :)) Appreciate all the input and advice. If your curious, the dealer I bought from was LongLewisVW in Florence AL. But, will have to get service in Chattanooga, (where the car was made)

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I saw a lot of these on the car I looked at. Wasn't clean, rotors rusted and had slight grooves in them so not replaced. Several places where the paint was chipped or scratched he said they would not fix. I also know it didn't have new brake pads just by looking as well nor new tires. Just because a form has some check marks on it or the salesperson says it was done doesn't make it so. Your experience and mine are different. I wouldn't have trusted they even changed the fluids and filters on this car with 54k miles on it IIRC. Drove nice enough though.

johncalhoun

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE
As someone told me, you can't fix stupid and better to be lucky than good. I hate to admit that I took a lot for granted. this time, which I rarely do. I do know that the paint was done, I pointed out the issues during the purchase and they agreed to fix. Could obviously see the tires, brakes and rotors. Plus the car was one owner, took good care of, but figured the dealer only washed and vacuumed. Only things I couldn't see without some real effort were the filters and fluids. As I said, probably got lucky and/or this dealer really does care about doing the right thing. (edited: I got the actual service records, not just what salesman said)

Last edited:

spepin

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
When I bought my CPO yesterday, I asked the dealer to provide a printout of all the service history at that dealership, which shows all the work they performed as part of the CPO inspection/repairs. While technically this "could" be faked just like running down the CPO checklist, at least it's part of the service history, and should be covered by a VW repair warranty vs. the extended CPO warranty with the $50 deductible.

Uno’15TDi

TDI
2015 Golf SEL
I recently purchased my 2015 36k Golf SEL from an independent dealer in Boise, ID that I found on the inner-web. Did all the buying via phone. They had great pictures and anything I wanted taken they sent to me. Price and options (has everything, including the parking sensors ) were spot on at $16.5k(similar cars across the country listed at $18.9k).

My point that want to get to is that I called a local dealer in LA that pulled the VIN info for me. They read the complete service history to me over the phone. I even found out that the original owner purchased a service warranty/contract.That along with the Carfax gave me enough courage to plop down a deposit and fly up to finish up the sale.

We all know that Carfax doesn’t always tell the truth (or the whole story) so getting that local dealer to give me the vin background was essential.

On the test drive I pulled the dip stick and wiped it clean in order to look at the oil color and residue. That oil was definitely changed recently(but was it the right oil for the DPF is the question).

Even though they stated it had oil/filter/air change I redid everything once I got back to LA.
Went online and ordered an oil &filter kit(Liqui Molly) The interior air filter was not changed(said it was), did that as well.

Mine was originally brought in/purchased in Seattle so I was expecting to see a little aluminum corrosion (which there is). But it was stored in a place that had a lot of dust(This is probably is what’s causing my belt tensioner to squeak pre-maturely).

Most Southern California cars found at the dealers were stored in a desert storage facility in San Bernardino(look it up on the innerweb). My car coming from Boise was stored where there was severe blowing winds and thin red mud(on the under belly and wheel wells).

I would pull the dipstick and look at the oil while doing the test drive. I would get a service person to give a VIN history. I would want to know which oils were put into the car to know if they conform.

You are allowed to get a second opinion on your purchase. Take it to a trusted independent before purchasing. Walk the car look for repaint. Have it put on a lift and look underneath. Like others have said, people will shortcut for the profits(I’ve worked at a car lot). An informed buyer can/will make better decisions.

An interesting read: https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...-being-stored-in-these-massive-auto-boneyards

Last edited:

johncalhoun

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE
Took to local dealer, got the heater core replaced and another bad wheel sensor. All good, except, having front end alignment issues. Obviously, CPO didn't check this well, local VW dealer did alignment, but said still pulling a little to the right and they say only additional frame adjustment would fix it. Got to be kidding me.. plus another $200 to do that.

GoThingNC

TDI
2011 JSW-Toffee Brown
I lucked out.

2012 Golf I picked up last year was a single owner and serviced since new at the local dealership. It was stored in the back for only 5 months.

Scary part was the GPS and blue tooth phone directory still had the address and phone number of the original owner. I was thinking about playing a prank by dropping off the car in the driveway with a note that VW decided to return the car and wants the restitution back, LOL

In the glovebox was the paperwork detailing the recent CPO service that was performed 2 weeks prior to my purchase:

Air Filter
Oil Filter
Fuel Filter
DSG Service
Brake Fluid Change
New Tires

Scooby24

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
The vast majority of these cars are trashed and as has been said, it's very dealer dependent on what they will take care of.

Mine was on the lot and not yet certified so I purchased and waited patiently for them to complete my own requirements (40k service + DSG fluid exchange) and the CPO requirements. In the end, the dealer themselves dished out around 2500 in repairs from what I demanded plus what was required of the CPO.

On top of that still, though, I have paid 230 for PDR to fix what they attempted and screwed up, as well as 250 on two very bent wheels they didn't address and got an alignment for free from a friend because the toe was badly out on the left rear.

And this was the BEST one I found out of 20 or so I looked at. So...if you are a perfectionist and looking at a CPO...you're probably in for some headache.

Last edited:

Uno’15TDi

TDI
2015 Golf SEL
Took to local dealer, got the heater core replaced and another bad wheel sensor. All good, except, having front end alignment issues. Obviously, CPO didn't check this well, local VW dealer did alignment, but said still pulling a little to the right and they say only additional frame adjustment would fix it. Got to be kidding me.. plus another $200 to do that.

In the past I purchased a Prius CPO with alignment issues... the dealer never did fix the issue. I ended up having to put a shim on it myself. Torsion bar rears will sometimes get twisted on shipment due to the car being over tightened to the truck/ship during transport. I found a alignment guy that had an alignment machine set up to use ‘EZ Shims’. For the torsion rears this is a great option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
My 2015 had 50k miles on it by the time I got it home from the independent dealer I bought it at in TN. And while the Carfax showed a service entry every 10k from the same VW dealer...I went and changed the oil, did the DSG service, brake fluid, and every filter (then the engine air filter at 60k). I figured the ~$600 was worth the peace of mind to make sure everything was caught up and fresh. The brakes and rotors are fine, and the fronts are still at 6mm as of today (70k).

The original battery was replaced with an Interstate at some point (my guess, the independent dealer). The car also had the original tires on it, that unsurprisingly, were aged to hell from sitting. The first pothole I hit in Connecticut caused one to blow; so another $700 on new tires that I would have spent anyway.

Last edited:

johncalhoun

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE
Just took a 250 mile trip and driving daily to work. Very pleased with the vehicle. Front end still pulling right some, but I'm managing it for now. 42.5 mpg on last tank. Overall very satisfied with purchase.

Racin4ds

TDI
2014 Passat SE
I just bought a 2013 Passat TDi SE that was a buyback CPO, and being a mechanic I verified everything on the checklist was done. Kudos to my Ocala Florida Dealer because they did it all. I bought my car with 40k miles on it for $10,700 it had all new tires, all new brakes and rotors, fresh oil change, new fluids and filters, full DEF, Full of fuel and they even did the 40k mile DSG service. Overall I'm very happy with the deal. Got a couple nicks and scratches in the paint on the rear bumper that I'm trying to get them to give me factory matched touch up for now.

smilner01

TDI
2014 Jetta SEL Premium TDI
I just bought a CPO 2014 Passat SEL Premium with 38k miles for $13k + TT&L and got the 0% for 5 years. Was a pleasant transaction at the dealership too. Only thing is I am trying to get a link or paper CPO warranty and the dealership has not provided and kinda act like they don't have the documents. I did a chat with VW customer service and they confirmed that the VIN is a CPO car but then directed me to the dealership for the warranty literature. I took a screen shot of the chat telling me to refer to the dealer and the dealer is "checking on that" for me. Anyone get a copy of the warranty for a CPO TDI?

Last edited:

johncalhoun

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE
I just bought a CPO 2014 Passat SEL Premium with 38k miles for $13k + TT&L and got the 0% for 5 years. Was a pleasant transaction at the dealership too. Only thing is I am trying to get a link or paper CPO warranty and the dealership has not provided and kinda act like they don't have the documents. I did a chat with VW customer service and they confirmed that the VIN is a CPO car but then directed me to the dealership for the warranty literature. I took a screen shot of the chat telling me to refer to the dealer and the dealer is "checking on that" for me. Anyone get a copy of the warranty for a CPO TDI?
All I got was a CPO certified vehicle inspection and condition report. It is a checklist dealer has to use to document and repair anything required for it to qualify as CPO.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
The CPO warranty is the same as the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. I.e., an extension of the "Bumper to Bumper" warranty but with a $50 deductible.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
It also does not reset the time limit on having NVH concerns fixed under warranty.

shoestring

TDI
2014 Jetta
Im curious which dealer was this? Im north of you just a bit and have gone to the Georgetown VW dealership. They are trying to tell me the same thing on a Jetta I was looking at. :rolleyes: