CPO Owners - Trouble getting service records from dealer?

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 SportWagen TDI DSG (Buyback 2018.01.30)
Has anyone with a CPO VW had any issues getting their car's complete service records from the dealer? My dealer's service manager was refusing to give me the complete records citing privacy protection to the previous owner. I understand that, but it seems a bit disingenuous of VW to block historical access.

My '11 JSW is a CPO, but I still wanted to see exactly what work was done and when. I pushed back a bit and he's willing to give me the VW copy of maintenance. I'll thank him with a six pack.

Just curious to know if any other CPO owners out there have had similar pushback when asking for the complete records.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
sounds suspicious... there are others that get service records from dealer when not buying a car thru dealer. maybe just that dealer. take VIN to another dealer and ask for records. I probably wouldn't trust that dealer to give you complete records now because it sounds like they might be hiding something.

of course I have been accuses of being paraniod before. I may be paranoid but that doesn't mean they're not out to get me.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
refusing to give me the complete records citing privacy protection to the previous owner.

Well, it is the law.

Maybe they could make you a copy and black out the previous owner's personal info.

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
@jetlagmech - that's what I thought. felt a bit dirty to me.

@dogparkguy - thx. tried my dealer's ahem in that url, seems to be down.

@dieseldorf - I suggested that too, seems logical & the right/nice thing to do. someone out there must have stalked their car's previous owner.

@03_01_TDI - happy to report that my dealer's service manager did give me the vw copy of maintenance. which is actually ALL that i really wanted/needed. it's got every service line item and the tech notes.

the funny thing is that the previous owner took immaculate care of my car. so much so that just by reading the notes, I appreciate every time he took it in. I'm sure one day I'll somehow meet the guy at the dealership and I would do is show him what mods I made and buy him a beer.

p.s. I took in a pizza for the service guys. Amazing what a simple gesture will do to lighten someone's disposition.

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
p.p.s For anyone buying a pre-owned car. I've learned two invaluable things, which I'm more than sure most everyone here already knows.

1) If you're buying a car that's seen some winters, take a hammer with you when you go see the car. then get on your back and move yourself underneath the car. with a flashlight in one hand, and the hammer in the other. tap on the on the frame and see if any "rust dust" falls. If it's enough to cover a cake, run (don't walk) away from the deal.

2) always always, get everything you want before you sign on the dotted line. the service records, mud flaps, floor mats, a keychain, mug, or whatever else you really want. walking away from a deal right when you're about to sign on the dotted line is always your best point of leverage.

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
p.s. I took in a pizza for the service guys. Amazing what a simple gesture will do to lighten someone's disposition.
I had a plan to do this after my 30,000 mile service is completed. So far they have treated me very well...a couple of pizzas can't hurt.

I usually do my own routine maintenance after the care free intervals are over, but may get my parts from the dealer until my extended warranty is over, just to still have friendly presence at the dealer.

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
@strangetdi - totally agree. my dad always told me that no matter where you work, to always make friends with the support staff. they are the lifeblood that keeps work moving or not. i forget who reminded me of this on TDIClub.

@dogparkguy - i don't know who he is, though i wouldn't be surprised if he was a member here!

anyone here trade in an '11 tempest blue JSW in dec? :)