Timing belt this weekend!!

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
The tab isn't in the right place, or the nuts not tight enough to keep it there when tensioning.
Be sure the tab is in the right hole, otherwise catastrophe.
I recommend going back and checking torque on all bolts and setting the tensioner again.
Quadruple check the IP is pinned at 12 and the pulley is centered.
Look at the TDC mark on the flywheel to see it's right and cam lock is still in place.
Then start putting the belt on again.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Trakpak

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf 5 speed
I was tightening it down but then I couldn’t adjust it. The tab would stay in the right place until I had to muscle it to adjust it. I gotta do some house stuff now but I’m gonna get to it later on today. I’m also gonna go grab a serpentine belt tensioner from Autozone.

So to be clear the little peg and hole should be perfectly lined up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
And never turn the engine by the cam bolt, only ever use the crank bolt!
That's the other mistake in the how-to!

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
So these two points should be lined up?

Make sure you are turning the tensioner clockwise

Trakpak

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf 5 speed
All done. Everything went good. I checked the timing with the software and it was spot on right off the bat so I didn’t mess with it.

Trakpak

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf 5 speed
When I went to bump the starter it instantly started. The car had never started so fast. It sounds stupid but on the test drive it seemed to run better and be more zippy. I know thats probly in my head but I’m happy with the turnout and I’m glad I did it myself. Thank you for the help guys I really appreciate it.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Mechanical timing being set that well definitely makes a difference.
Enjoy your efforts and learn more about your car.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
When I went to bump the starter it instantly started. The car had never started so fast. It sounds stupid but on the test drive it seemed to run better and be more zippy. I know thats probly in my head but I’m happy with the turnout and I’m glad I did it myself. Thank you for the help guys I really appreciate it.

And that's the way it should start up after a timing belt change. Good job.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Nicely done, congrats!!

coolvdub

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI/2013 JSW
Finished my 400k TB replacement yesterday with all the proper parts, going to check the timing today. Thanks to a long weekend I am just taking it slow, used to rush through these jobs, now I just enjoy them. I guess patience comes with age. Glad your job went well and you got the tensioner all sorted.

Trakpak

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf 5 speed
Thanks I thing the tensioner thing was just stupidity. When I went back out there all I had to do was bend the tab a bit back because it wasn’t staying in the hole. Then it was all good after that. It took a while I didn’t time it maybe 8-10 hours total but some of that was going from my cellar to my garage looking for tools crap like that. I’d have no reservations about doing the job again.