Golf MK2 1.9 TDI-m Build - Blue MAchine

zehair

TDI
1.9 TDI-M AHU 220hp 380NM ==> 300+bHP
Hello Folks,

I have been on this forum for a while and this is my first participation :) I will share with you my car project since 2014. Its a Golf MK2 from 1983 GTD - AKA Blue Machine.

This car means a lot to me for its history.

I start the story quickly, when I was still 7 years old, I was very fascinated by the golf MK2 of my French teacher, I remember it was all gray with the acronym GTD on the back. It was the first time I fell in love!

18 years later, I decided to look for the same car from my teacher to buy it. A long history of researching and in the end to my surprise I unfortunately found it in a miserable state abandoned in a field. Its last owner was a Soldier.

I was upset and shocked by her condition, but I made the decision to save her anyway. It’s the dream no matter how much it will cost. I bought it like that and took it home. I leave you with some photos from the 2014 archive :

Please click here to see all photos 2014

After a year of hard work, it sees its first day in early 2015, I equipped it with an AHU engine with a mechanical pump of AAZ and turbo K14, and like all unmodified TDI-m it went out 62hp and 100nm. Then I decided to push the engine to get more power : 125hp and 220nm with these modifications:

- Turbo K14 at 1.3bar
- Exhaust 50mm
- modified pump with 10mm head, DE110 camplate, Iveco Gas lever and LDA.
- Gearbox CHD from AAZ engine

Here are some pics of what I did at that time :

Please Click here to see all photos 2015

In 2017, I still wanted power and I made even more modifications:

- Turbo HE211w at 30psi (Thanks to AlCaid)
- Fmic 2’’ piping
- Exhaust 60mm (57mm from inside)
- ASD Gearbox From 1Z engine
- XTD stage 3 clutch
- Home made pump 11mm
- 0.280mm

With this setup it marked 220hp and 380nm on a dyno... I leave you with photos of the archive and drags :

Click here to see the vidéo (acceleration, drags...)

And here to see all photos 2017

For this year 2020 I intend to push the beast again towards 300hp ++.

Here are the modifications that I am making:

- Pump by Dieselmeken for 300bHP
- Pump lift 0.6bar 250liter / h (from PD engine)
- 0.370mm injector nozles
- 6speed gearbox
- Sachs SRE pressure plate and organic disc 240mm
- intercooler water / air + 2.5 '' piping
- Exhaust 3''s
-Water/Methanol Injection only 250cc/min

For the turbo I bought a new S200g (69mm / 58mm turbine and 53.25mm / 76.3mm compressor) but after a discussion with JukkaTDI from TDI Finland Club, its seems like this turbo is over-sized for a 1.9tdi-m , especially with A/R 0.85.

Then I found another, but used, turbo from Mercedess Atego OM904LA (170bhp / 700nm). And I ordered a new CHRA.

HTML:
Turbo specs:
   * Compressor: 44mm / 63.5mm
   * Turbine: 55mm / 46.2mm
   * Turbine housing: 5.82 cm-square
Here is some pics:

Please click here to see all photos 2020

Hope you like this project. If yes, stay tuned !

Last edited:

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Damn what a beautiful car! My wife and I went to Morocco two years ago and loved it! I would point out to her every mk2 gtd I would see there, I'm sure she was sick of me. I assume you have a limited slip differential to be able to handle all that power. Excited to see more.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Lovely motor you have there...i would have gone the full tdi pump if i was you, much finer fueling and better starts altogether , couple feet of wire and an ecu could be easily accommodated...good luck with the project !

cuban11182

Veteran Member
TDI
1984 CJ w/ ALH and 1994 XJ w/ PD150/ALH hybrid
Awesome car!

Those boys in Finland really are doing wonders with these engines. I was talking with someone what said one guy was making 432 hp and 630-ish nm. I was very impressed.

Hope you reach your goals.