Is buying a used ecu anywhere close to good idea?

MILESB

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta, 04 Passat Wagon
Is buying a used tuned ecu anywhere close to good idea?

Hello, I’m in the middle of a auto to 6 speed conversion of my 04 Passat tdi. I’ve brought in a UK AVF 1.9 tdi bare block with head, injectors and will be swapping all the bits from BHW onto it. Gearbox is a rebuilt DQS 6speed. I have an opportunity to buy a tuned ecu from a UK 6 speed TDI Passat also with a 130hp AVF. Can anyone advise on reasons that this is a good or bad idea?

Last edited:

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Just remember you will have zero support on a used ECU for whatever tune it has. A reputable tuner (like Malone) will work with you if you have any issues.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Why not just use the 136hp BHW engine? Why are you swapping engines at all? Or is there something tooefed on the BHW?

MILESB

Veteran Member
TDI
The AVF ECU will be EDC15P. It will not plug in to your wiring harness, nor will it operate the north American electronic anti-shudder and EGR.
If you really wanted to go this route you will need the harness and the intake manifold along with the vacuum solenoids for the anti-shudder and EGR from the AVF. You'll also need different glow plugs, the AVF uses 11v units, similar to the ALH. ALH plugs actually work fine but are just a bit shorter. I have an AVF ECU, harness and manifold in my B6 audi A4 BHW swap. Had to do it for compatibility with the B6 electronics.
Hello, if I’m doing the egr delete does that help me out?

MILESB

Veteran Member
TDI
The AVF ECU will be EDC15P. It will not plug in to your wiring harness, nor will it operate the north American electronic anti-shudder and EGR.
If you really wanted to go this route you will need the harness and the intake manifold along with the vacuum solenoids for the anti-shudder and EGR from the AVF. You'll also need different glow plugs, the AVF uses 11v units, similar to the ALH. ALH plugs actually work fine but are just a bit shorter. I have an AVF ECU, harness and manifold in my B6 audi A4 BHW swap. Had to do it for compatibility with the B6 electronics.
can i stay with the bhw ecu and still run the avf?

MILESB

Veteran Member
TDI
Depends, how much of the AVF are you planning on running? Most differences are in the cylinder head and intake manifold. The AVF is 1.9L, the BHW 2.0, but I doubt that aspect will make much difference. The crank tone ring is the same.
What is the reason for using the AVF?
hello, the bhw in my car is just over 400k km and the avf is just over 200k km. also no balance shaft and its a manual crank, not the stub nose of the bhw. my rebuilt gearbox (DQS) just arrive at the local airport today, picking up tomorrow. its finally getting close to conversion time.

Last edited: