2.4L TDI Transporter

Steve

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Sportwagon TDI
While at the dealer, I saw that they had a used 2.4L TDI (5 cylinder) transporter for sale.

It was idling in the lot, so the sound caught my attention. The hood was open and I had a good peak around - 2.4L TDI stamped right on top. It looks very different to our 1.9L TDI (no goofy engine covers for one thing, and a funny exhaust manifold on top).

[This message has been edited by Steve (edited January 27, 2001).]

Steve

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Sportwagon TDI
I thought that the 1.9L was the only current VW diesel in North America. Guess I was wrong.

Strack

Veteran Member
What years did VW produce and sell them in Canada ? They never did market a TDI Bus, Van or Vanagon in the States, only a few early 80's diesel vanagons with the Rabbit engine...

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS, '03 Wagon GL
So are these Transporters/Caravelles/Eurovans for (legal) sale in Canada?! Man, I'd love to trade my T4 for one of these if they can be "introduced" into the 'States.

clacker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI DSG Trendline, 2000 Jetta TDI auto, 2008 Mercedes R320, 2006 smart fortwo cdi
It is a 2.4 diesel, 5 cyl but NOT a TDI, just an indirect injection non turbo old school diesel that puts out around 77 hp. (Basically a 1.9 with an extra cylinder) It is an Audi style motor, water pump driving by the timing belt. They are slow vehicles and rev like crazy on the highway, but they can take ALOT of abuse as many courriers have proven around here. I have seen a few with 400000 kms and still going, they came to Canada in 1993-1997 models, in Transporters (Eurovan long wheel base, no windows) and Eurovan passenger vehicles (short wheel base). They are HARD on fuel, around 10l/100km or 28 mpg if your lucky. They run nicely, really quite sound and smooth operation. They rev 3400 rpm @60 mph too!
Greg