Doing big maintenance interval what all to check/clean

tonyweiss11

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I recently went into limp mode when cruising on some long uphills on a road trip (just twice), and after that am occasionally throwing P0402 CEL code "excess exhaust gas." I usually just reset the code and its good for a bit and may come back on. I checked the MFA and unplugged it and the car seemed fine, no difference in power when it was unplugged so I think it is still fine.

I was planning to do intake and EGR valve cleaning, and a diesel purge of my injectors in a few weeks when I do my next oil change, or right before my next oil change. While I have the intake and everything off I was going to see about replace my vacuum lines where many of them are become very warm and chaffed. I was also going to check the turbo actuator and the turbo itself to see if the actuator is working or if it may be sticky vanes, or any other possible problems causing the code and limp mode.

While I am in there and doing this type of work (I'll have a few weeks off work so I will have lots of time), what other things should I check/look for that may need to be replaced or cleaned?

The car is a 2001 so while the engine is still strong other things are starting to wear. Just curious what everyone thinks would be good to do since I'm in the mood and will have plenty of time.

Also are there any specialty tools that may help me to diagnose problems. I have seen many using VAGCOM, which I do have, but mainly I just use it to read if a code is thrown. Also a vacuum gauge seems to be essential, does anyone have any recommendations on one they have used before? Any other equipment/tools I may need?

Tony

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
This is a pretty broad question and it's posted in the wrong subforum for this kind of help anyway. Try posting in the subforum for your chassis specifically. You might get a better response

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
The 2001 is in the MKIV group. :)
I do the diesel purge first, change the fuel filter next, and then change the oil and filter just in case anything from the purge got into the oil. Others may not see any difference, just my order of things.
You didn't mention how many miles are on the car.
I just did my 3rd timing belt which calls for the high mileage kit. Few more parts to be changed.
You might want to get the EGR in order first to keep the CEL off.
Like jerrymander indicated it is a broad question.
Any other problems your aware of?