One issue in the US Settlement was addressed in the Canadian settlement

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
One the the issues raised in the US settlement was that a buyback could not be treated as a trade in. Any subsequent purchase would therefore be taxed on the full purchase price. In the Canadian settlement, owners are given a trade in option should they wish to replace their TDI with a new or used VW or Audi. Of course this option doesn't allow the owner to go outside the brand, but at least it seems to be a bit of an improvement over the US Settlement.
Here's the Canadian long form for those to wish to look it over and ponder over moving north:
https://www.vwcanadasettlement.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Exhibit-3-Long-Form-Notice-1.pdf

Armby

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf
Here's the Canadian long form for those to wish to look it over and ponder over moving north:
https://www.vwcanadasettlement.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Exhibit-3-Long-Form-Notice-1.pdf
Don't bother trying to move to collect in Canada because:
(1) our settlement doesn't actually tell us how much we are going to get. Unbelievably it looks like we won't know until we get our offer a few weeks before our buyback appointment. I suspect it will be significantly less than the US offers.
(2)Your TDI needs to have been originally sold in Canada to get bought back in Canada.
(3) We won't let American migrants over the wall we are going to build and have the US pay for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

halfast3

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG
don't bother trying to move to collect in canada because:
(1) our settlement doesn't actually tell us how much we are going to get. Unbelievably it looks like we won't know until we get our offer a few weeks before our buyback appointment. I suspect it will be significantly less than the us offers.
(2)your tdi needs to have been originally sold in canada to get bought back in canada.
(3) we won't let american migrants over the wall we are going to build and have the us pay for.
LOL! :D
Vague Oregon historical reference bumper sticker:
Tom McCall was right!

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
The tax situation can't possibly be the same. Sales tax in the U.S. is by state, where (apparently) sales tax in Canada is both national and provincial. In my state (IL), no kind of saving will be possible, since the allowable sales tax exemptions don't cover a situation like this (and there's no way, given the statutory language, that the buyback can be considered a trade-in). I'm thinking, from what I have read in this forum, that most states will not allow any sales tax exemption. There's one NE state (Vermont, I think), where there is some sort of loophole in the tax law.
It's all pretty moot here in the States anyway: if someone doesn't like the terms of the buyback, just keep the car and drive on.