Things I like about the settlement

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
Skimmed a bit of the docs. Some clauses I like:

1. There is no escape for VW not paying for any of the buyback cars. Even if VW files bankrupcy, the 10 billion to pay for the cars will be set aside as the highest priority.

2. If an eligible car is not bought back upon request following the strict schedule, there is severe penalty for VW, like 2 grand fine PER DAY for the delay.

Uncle Sam put the hammer down quite heavy-handedly this time. There is no way VW could play any tricks on the buybacks.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
2. If an eligible car is not bought back upon request following the strict schedule, there is severe penalty for VW, like 2 grand fine PER DAY for the delay.
I wonder if the owner gets the 2 grand or the lawyer. :)
Nice to see a positive thread for a change...instead of the regular "what if" threads.

kevin_in_idaho

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned 2012 Sportwagen DSG Pano White
I love the buyback. My only complaint is they have not bought it back yet! The sooner the better for me (personal reasons)
I agree. Speed this process up. Parts of the process is digital (getting them info) and part is snail slow (sending docs back and forth via USPS).

I want to get this car out of my driveway. Yes, I've waited this long so what's another month?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
OK, now back to the positive. I like this thread, too. Another positive thing about the settlement is that it was done (as such things go) rapidly, and to benefit a class (although not everyone seems to understand this, believing, as so many good Americans do, that everything must be about THEM or it might as well not exist). The judge based his approval on the agreement of all parties to the suit, and an overwhelmingly positive response from the affected class (us, the owners). And that is as it should be.

NB: Do I believe that the settlement is perfect? No. But this is a positive thread, right?

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
What I love about the settlement:

I get to drive the '14 JSW for 2 more years, 25k miles, for just the cost of maintenance. No charge for depreciation. If I go 30k miles, depreciation only costs me about $400. I'll never get to drive a decent car for this little money ever again in my life. Many thanks to the government lawyers from the FTC who got me this deal.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What I love about the settlement:

I get to drive the '14 JSW for 2 more years, 25k miles, for just the cost of maintenance. No charge for depreciation. If I go 30k miles, depreciation only costs me about $400. I'll never get to drive a decent car for this little money ever again in my life. Many thanks to the government lawyers from the FTC who got me this deal.
^^^^^

This is one of the BIG positives to me, and it's surprising how many people in the forums fail to appreciate it. This is a big argument against the rush to buyback (which, judging by posts I've seen, many people are doing), every mile we drive the Passat until turn-in is done on the cheap.

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
Yep. I'll probably sit on mine for 2 more years and see what the market does (2015 GSW)

rfortson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Surfwagen TDI
I'm amazed at the amounts and speed of the deal. Most of these large corporate actions take years and the settlement usually comes in the form of discount coupons off of future purchases. This deal is very specific, has moved very quickly, and serves the perceived purpose of getting the cars off the road. (I won't debate the need for actually getting them off the road.)

Color me impressed.

rfortson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Surfwagen TDI
^^^^^
This is one of the BIG positives to me, and it's surprising how many people in the forums fail to appreciate it. This is a big argument against the rush to buyback (which, judging by posts I've seen, many people are doing), every mile we drive the Passat until turn-in is done on the cheap.
That works until the car is totaled, stolen, or the HPFP implodes. As someone else said, when people are handing out money, it's best to get yours before they stop.

On the face of it, I agree that driving your car for free for 2 years sounds nice. I'll settle for the 5 years of free driving I've already gotten. No need to get greedy. ;)

Last edited:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That works until the car is totaled, stolen, or the HPFP implodes. <snip>
As far as your reasons #1 and #2, no problem. The window whereby someone with a total insurance claim couldn't collect anything from VW closed some weeks ago, so if these things happen, I can file the insurance claim (which is now more soundly established at the buyback value since the settlement is approved), plus I can collect the compensation package from VW. I'll do no worse than a regular buyback, maybe even a bit better.
As far as reason #3, I have absolutely no reason to believe that I am likely to suffer any catastrophic mechanical failure, no more so than in any car I have ever driven. Those who do lose an HPFP or throw a timing belt are attracted to internet forums like flies to road kill, so we are more likely to see the <1% of people who have problems, rather than the 99%+ who don't. I'll take my chances of being in the latter group. In over 50 years of driving and close to 20 vehicles (most bought well used) we have never suffered a catastrophic mechanical failure in any of them.

I think that about covers it......