Newest tdi (to us)

tdidriver20

TDI
2003 TDI
Hi everybody! I have been a member for some time with my 2003 tdi Jetta. My parents recently bought a 2005 Passat tdi with a bad transmission. What are some practical mods to do for a Passat that will increase fe? are they similar to the Jetta?
Thanks

Nutsnbolts

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
Ugh. You will have some reading to do- look up Balance Shaft in the B5 section and make some popcorn. Those cars do reasonably well already, but a tune could boost your FE a bit. One of the best bits would be to convert it to a 6-speed manual euro car, since now's the perfect time to upgrade. But I digress...

-Rich

tdidriver20

TDI
2003 TDI
We are aware of the BSM problems. If it has not been done, it soon will be. How much do you think it would cost to get and put in a Euro 6-speed? We would definitely be interested in doing so for a good price.

Nutsnbolts

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
The price would definately be steep, but so is changing out the trans in the first place. I would talk with one of our euro-import vendors who can source those components, such as Ryanp. He is in the UK, and ships parts here on a regular basis. He can give you an idea of the parts price, then it's just a matter of having the conversion done- I would plan on a few days (16-24 hours) at least to do the whole swap. Guru member Oilhammer might even have a better idea of the labor time.

-Rich