300,000 miles

99oilburner

TDI
none yet
going to look at a 01 jetta 5 speed with 300,000 on it. needs some tlc clutch and timing belt is this alot of miles for these cars and is $1000.00 a good price my dad owns a garage so i can get everythimg done at his cost on parts and things. Thanks for any info Brad

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
It all depends how it was taken care of but for a $1000, you really can't loose much. I have seen people asking 3-4 grand for a 300K mile car.

Wksg

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI Wagon
Probably you can't go too wrong for $1K. That's about as cheap as you can get without that car being a heap of junk. So if it's running well, drives OK, is decent cosmetically, and you can figure out from service records that it was reasonably maintained (oil changes and what not).

Here's the story of my 350K car, bought for $5K.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=293107&highlight=High+Miles+Car

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
ditto the above. Mine is coming up on 300K- original turbo, injection pump, injectors & tips. Consistent routine maintenance, good oil, not driven too gently, but allowed to warm up before "horsing", and I'm one of those who idles for about a minute before shutdown to allow turbo oil to cool. Many say that's unnecessary.

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
Sounds good to me. I know that I wouldn't take $5000 for mine!

Well, I probably wouldn't. :p

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
The motor and trans are worth more than that, I would gladly buy it for just the motor.