TB service in San Diego

LeeOts

TDI
03 NB
My wife was advised to have the TB replaced by Classic VW in Escondido. It's an 03 TDI NB with 84K miles. Reading this forum, I know there's a bias against dealerships in general so I'm only asking if anyone has had their TB replaced by Classic. If so, what was your experience?

Also, I have my 73 Super Beetle worked on by Kotter in Escondido or VW Paradise in San Marcos. Does anyone have any experience with a TDI NB with these guys? Thanks.

BTW, I've read about the guy in Fullerton but that's just too far. Are there any "gurus" closer to north San Diego?

Lee

Last edited:

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
A ~4 hour drive (round-trip... how long does it take you to drive to Escondido???) every 90 - 100,000 miles in order to have this easy-to-mess-up job done properly is too time consuming??

At least we know that Wild Rose Motors does this job reliably... (to say the least...)

Good luck,

Yuri.

bora2003

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 5-speed; 2009 Jetta TDI 6-spd; 2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen; 2015 Golf TDI SE - Manual 6spd; 2012 Jetta TDI
LeeOts said:
BTW, I've read about the guy in Fullerton but that's just too far. Are there any "gurus" closer to north San Diego?

Lee
I live in Barstow, 100 miles northwest of Fullerton, and I am quite happy I had Wild Rose Motors perform the TB service last month. Google maps peg the distance to San Diego at 99 miles.

Personally, the drive and car rental were definitely worth the hassle!!! Leonard's good. :)

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
LeeOts said:
My wife was advised to have the TB replaced by Classic VW in Escondido. It's an 03 TDI NB with 84K miles. Reading this forum, I know there's a bias against dealerships in general so I'm only asking if anyone has had their TB replaced by Classic. If so, what was your experience?
(snip)
I bought my Golf TDI from Classic, and I had some work done on it there when I had to. I have to tell you, they might have one of the better service departments among the SD county VW dealerships, but that's not saying much.

I would NOT allow them to do a TB job. For starters, they can't replace all the parts that need to be replaced because they do not stock all the necessary parts. :mad: And if you insisted that they order all the parts, I predict it will end up costing you at least $1400. And for that $1400, you will get a water pump with the plastic/composite impeller that has been known to fail prematurely -- if this happens then you might as well do the whole TB again, because the labor is the same.

I don't think any other VW dealership in the county is any better. I know some TDI owners have gone to them (Drew, South County, City, Miramar, Herman Cook, Bob Baker), but I haven't heard anyone say they are better with TDIs than Classic.

I also don't know of any independent shops that I would trust with a TB change. One of the owners of BRU Automotive on El Cajon Blvd owns a TDI, but I don't think he does TDI timing belts in his own shop.

Call Leonard (Harvieux) up at Wild Rose Motors in Fullerton. Do not mess around trying to find someone closer. You want the job done right, for the lowest price, so don't bother with anyone else.

LeeOts

TDI
03 NB
Update: TB change in San Diego

Took my wife's '03 TDI NB to Classic VW in Escondido for TB replacement. All 3 shops were within $100 of each other ($900-$1000). Classic replaced TB (-M variant), serpentine, 3x rollers, tensioner, all stretch bolts, water pump and all seals. There may have been other stuff but I don't remember. They returned all removed parts except water pump which they said I could have if I didn't want credit for returning for rebuild.

Car runs great and has lots of pep. Actually seems to run better than before. I won't know if fuel mileage is affected for a few miles but, overall, it went much smoother than all the "doom and gloom" here about dealers not knowing how to replace TB.

Helped to read all the info here so I knew what parts and part numbers to check for and ballpark pricing. Avoided wasting a day on the freeway driving to Fullerton. Thanks.

Lee

Last edited:

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Get a GTG together and I'll fly out.

Wife ike San Diego. Coranado Island actully. If the cars are prepped I can do 5-6 a day.

2 days, a few done. Some cash for the flight....

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
LeeOts said:
Took my wife's '03 TDI NB to Classic VW in Escondido for TB replacement. All 3 shops were within $100 of each other ($900-$1000). Classic replaced TB (-M variant), serpentine, 3x rollers, tensioner, all stretch bolts, water pump and all seals. There may have been other stuff but I don't remember. They returned all removed parts except water pump which they said I could have if I didn't want credit for returning for rebuild.
That is good to hear. They have apparently made some changes there in the last six months, and maybe my conversations with them might be the reason. As of last February 23rd, they did not have any of the rollers in stock, and their records showed that none had been ordered or received or stocked in the previous 10 months. On that date the service manager claimed that they changed more timing belts than any other SD county VW dealership, several every week... and yet none of all those TDIs received new roller/idlers. Also, on that date I was told that they always reuse the bolt which holds the large roller/idler...

Perhaps after my conversation, they decided to take another look at the manual. And perhaps they realized they had been cutting just a few corners too many. Perhaps they realized that just replacing the TB, tensioner, and water pump really wasn't good enough -- that TDI owners really get pissed if they follow the owners manual and replace the TB according the maintenance schedule, but then encounter TB-related problems 20k or 40k miles later which could have been prevented.

Could you post all the part numbers from your invoice... just to satisfy my curiosity? I would be very happy to have all my doubts removed regarding Classic; I would like to be able to give them a solid "thumbs up". If they actually replaced everything that was supposed to be replaced, if they did it all for a reasonable price, if the work was all performed properly... then it's unusual for any VW dealership but certainly welcome news.

thordehr

TDI
2003 Jetta
I'm at 60,000 and would go in on a group timing belt change event. I have the tools and could help with the prep on a number of cars.

Bears Fan

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I'm at 85K on my Golf So I'm going to need a TB soon myself.

What "prep" needs to be done?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Bears Fan said:
I'm at 85K on my Golf So I'm going to need a TB soon myself.

What "prep" needs to be done?
You need to familiarize yourself with the parts that must be replaced. Here's a link to the list of parts in Dieselgeek's TB kit for the BEW engine:
http://www.dieselgeek.com/servlet/Detail?no=368

Some shops insist on supplying their own parts, but then they cut corners and don't replace everything.

The other step in "preparation" is deciding who will do the work.

jasonTDI

TDI
I'd have the cars engines clean if they are greasy, the top, side, and under covers off. And cooled down.

I'd supply the parts and have them shipped in.

thordehr

TDI
2003 Jetta
As prep, I have a pressure washer to clean the area first. I can assist in removing covers, and plates, and lock down the cam and crank one car ahead of the install car, could make it a pretty quick process. Of course, I'm looking for a group in Cali to come together.

thordehr

TDI
2003 Jetta
I can also get about 5 cars in my driveway at a time so that may be a possibility if we need a place to do it. I also have air, air tools, welders and torches if anything else needs doing.

jasonTDI

TDI
TDC'ing the car would save time, no crank locks needed unlees it's a BEW or BRM. 2:30 for a BEW yesterday and didn't even rush it....doing all the work.

MRIBOB

Veteran Member
TDI
None- Jetta-0 - Mexico 1
I have about 80k miles on my 03. I have been thinking of doing it myself early since I have the TB noise when cold.
Otherwise I will go to Wild Rose.

I have Vagcom but not the TB tools.

How many TB jobs are needed to get a GTG price and one of the Wild Rose guys to come?

I don't have the place to host it.

I plan to change mine anytime from now to the next 18months.