300 Miles and Upsoluted

Chiefbob

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, Galatic Blue
Saturday I went to my first gathering of TDI'ers. Not knowing what to expect, I was very pleasantly impressed. Good people, great krispy kremes (thanks Kato) and Garret with his upsolute magic. Watched others getting upsoluted, driving away for the test drive and returning with smiles. Decided to do the upsolute and filter and Garret took care of it all. What a wonderful experience. Driving home, with a big smile in my face, and a heavy right foot, I was stopped by the friendly State Boys. Identified myself and explained what an upsolute was and he was much impressed that a diesel could accelerate so well. Getting a "pass" I drove the rest of the way home, still smiling and have a great time. Thanks everyone from the gtg, I'll definetely be in Hastings, MI in less than a month. I hope the Michigan and Indiana State Boys are also so easily impressed. I am upsolutely happy. Thank Garret.

OffTheFence

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000, Canyon Red
Chiefbob: While you were talkin' TDI with that officer who pulled you over and eventually let you drive on, did you happen to let him catch a glimpse of that chief's badge you carry?

I know you didn't have Krispy Kremes to offer--those were all snarfed up at Garrett's!

Anthony

kato258

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf GL, A/T, flash red; 04 Jetta GL, A/T, wheat beige; 06 Golf GLS, A/T, blue anthracite
chiefbob,
glad you made it home safely (sorta). how fast were you going? I-294 is usually pretty open. i bet you didn't know torque is addictive. that's why i have 3 radar detectors.
drop me an e-mail if you have any TDI questions. how about lunch at Luke's in Lake Bluff sometime?
anyone else out there interested? i know that there are at least 6-8 TDI's in the immediate area.

gench

I am in the process of selling my gas hawg 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee and purchasing a Jetta TDI. In the process I have been searching high and low on the web for performance enhancements. Your responses caught my eye since I am in the Chicago area as well as one of the other members. My question is were do I need to go to get Upsoluted localy? Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,
Craig

OffTheFence

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000, Canyon Red
gench, welcome to the fold.

You just missed a chance for chipping, a little GTG (GetToGether)in Clarendon Hills that featured TDI, 1.8T and VR6 folk. But fear not, because our local chipmeister, garrettp, lives up in Cheese Land and regularly makes his way down south to the windy city area.

Are you aware there is a rather promising GTG planned at a forum member's farm in Hastings, Mich., May 19 and 20? I intend to run out there, and garrettp will be there to do chipping. Check in the GTG section and inform him you'd like it done.

Anthony

EZDoesit

Hi everyone, I'm new here.
Well anyways, I plan on dumping my gas sucking pig of a Blazer soon and buying a 2001 Golf GL TDI to park next to my trusty 5.0 Mustang so I have something economical to drive the 75 mile round trip to work every day.

I know the Golf will never run with my Mustang since that has well over the stock 300 ft. lbs of torque with the mods I have done, but I am interested in getting more power out of the Golf when I get it.

I am interested in the Upsolute chip and was wondering if anyone knew of a place to have one installed in the Twin Cities, MN area and what I should expect to pay. Thanks for your response in advance.

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
EZDoesIt,

You just missed Garrett last weekend.
He was in town doing chips or selling Pipercross products. I was lucky enough to catch him on Saturday after I was done working late in the afternoon. He said that he did four chip upgrades.

I gotta tell you that getting chipped is well worth the money!

Chiefbob

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, Galatic Blue
Thanks for all the replies. Kato, I guess my badge did get put onto my belt on the way home, maybe the officer wasn't such a diesel freak. Lukes almost anytime.
Off the fence, I believe the speedo was near 90 mph but that's only a rumor.
Those looking for upsolute soon, keep in mind that Garrett said he will be in Hastings, MI in mid May. Check the MI gathering section under meetings/gatherings etc.

garrettp

Former Chip-Monk
TDI
2000 JEDI
you guys RULE.

thanks for all the great reviews and glad you are all happy.

chief bob has one of the coolest Jetta's i have ever seen. he has got these lights on there...

OffTheFence should be off the fence come MI GTG time

DeafBig is one of the coolest dude's i have met. hope to spend more time with ya at another GTG.

and Kato, well...the Kirpsy Kreams say it all

Gench, i should be in Chicago this weekend again if you would like to stop by and check out some TDI's.

EZ doesit, i will be in MN more often now that i have met the great crowd of people from Volksport and SCI performane shop. and i think you would be presently surprised what a few minor mods will do to a TDI

garrett P.

gench

I would love to check out some of the cars and maybe even get a ride in a Upsoluted TDI. However, I am uncertain when I will be back in town since I need to visit my family in Madison WI this weekend. Were and when does everyone meet up? Additionally, I am still battling the dealerships trying to find the Jetta that I want; so I'm not a current owner.) I looks as though I may need to wait until the 2002 models before I get my car.

Craig

Torque!

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MK4 Jetta TDI - 196K
It always warms my heart to see an suv owner switch to a tdi.
I could be wrong but it seem thishappens more and more these days. I wonder if gas prices have to do with it. I keep hearing on the news how gas prices are going up yet diesel is cheaper in my area then it has been all winter. This new cheaper summer diesel is giving me better mileage to boot. 4cents down from 5cents a mile.

LThomas

I am a former SUV owner/driver. My 98 Exploder got knocked off the interstate and rolled last winter. Any car would have rolled on that incline so I don't feel too bad about that.. I had been looking for a way out of a car that was too new to justify getting rid of anyhow.

I started looking around..wanted to go back to VW (my frist car was a 75 Super Beetle). Went out and got me a 2001 Jetta TDI. I love it. I didn't do it for the milage... but I have to admit I just can't figure out where all this money at the end of the month keeps coming from (100miles/day commuting yields significan savings on fuel).

EZDoesit

garretp- thanks, it's good to know I can get the chip done locally when you are in town, I don't have the car yet but I should in a month or two, I cant leave anything I own factory stock for long
I always have to try and get more out of my vehicles.

Where do you come to when you are in Minneapolis?
Also where do VW guys hang out in the cities? University ave. or someplace else?

garrettp

Former Chip-Monk
TDI
2000 JEDI
Gench, which dealer are you looking at? we can check around for you in the area (like Green Bla or Illwaulkee). you might want to check out The Auto Barn in country side as they are a great dealer.

torque and LT,
. i put on over 60k miles the first year. i often drive this car for 500 miles straight before i have to stop for water but still refuse to fuel up until i hit at least 650miles on the tank.

EZ, they do hang out on University near the entrance to the mall (on the east side parking lot near university). they all have club meets at South Central Imports on the last sunday of every month. i would suggest attending, they are a great bunch of people and even though they drive 1.8T's and VR6's, they LOVE TDI's

keep looking for updates as to when the next GTG in the area will be.

[ May 01, 2001: Message edited by: garrettp ]