Bizarre coolant leak

RedTDIowner

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0 TDI
Since I could not find this leak I have taken it to two different mechanics and they can not figure out this leak either. We replaced the coolant O ring on the right side of the head by the brake master cylinder but that did not fix the leak. The only time this leak happens is when I drive my car cold for just a few miles and then turn it off for a couple hours. Somehow in that time while it sits it releases about 10 to 20 ounces of G13 onto the ground. I have a skid plate so its really hard to tell exactly where the leak is coming from. If I reach my hand all the way around the head to feel the coolant lines there is no leak that I can tell. The timing belt was recently replaced along with the water pump so its not that. This has happened now about a half dozen times over the last 4 months. Now if I drive it more than 5 miles it does not do it. It only happens if I drive it a few miles and then let it sit. Then when I walk out I see the big puddle on the floor. Any ideas?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Run it without the skid plate, most problems are underneath, where we don't like to go.
Losing that much, you will eventually find it.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
When mine did that it was a bad radiator, leaking between the tank and core on the driver's side.

As has been suggested, I drove it without the belly pan until I caught it leaking, then crawled underneath to identify the source.

Simon

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I don’t know what a quality coolant system pressure tester costs nowadays as I bought mine about 40 years ago, but it has been an invaluable tool and a worthwhile investment I never regretted.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
The one harbor freight sells works well but don't know the cost.

Have you looked very closely at the hard pipe under the IP? It's got an o ring that will sometimes leak.

The hard part is finding where it crawls from. You could try some die but you'll need to clean everything very well prior to

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Definitely a pressure test for this one.
After everything heats up equally there's no issue, however, with pressure on the system and not enough heat it comes out.
So, put pressure on and watch with the pan off.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
Good chance it is the coolant hose going to the EGR cooler. It runs across the front and then turns under the tandem pump. Leaky fuel will cause it to rot. The pressure is the way to go. You can pump it up and it won't be hard to see where the problem. Also look at your coolant temp sensor. My DD had a leak and it was the plastic clip had rotted and wasn't holding it in causing my leak.

RedTDIowner

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0 TDI
Good chance it is the coolant hose going to the EGR cooler. It runs across the front and then turns under the tandem pump. Leaky fuel will cause it to rot. The pressure is the way to go. You can pump it up and it won't be hard to see where the problem. Also look at your coolant temp sensor. My DD had a leak and it was the plastic clip had rotted and wasn't holding it in causing my leak.
I have done an EGR delete so its not that. I agree that pressure is the way to go.