Intake manifold, egr and egr cooler the same between Alh and bew?

breakfasteatre

Veteran Member
TDI
gone: 97 b4v, 01, 00 mk4 now: 06 mk4v
Going from a 2000 Alh to a 2006 pd and I have a clean intake manifold, egr and egr cooler. Are these consistent between both engines or different parts?

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
The intakes will fit (physically) on either engine, but I don't know if anything under the hood would be in the way. I think the EGR valve vaccum/electrical controls are different, so they most likely wouldn't work? EGR coolers are also different.

I don't think you have to worry about the BEW intake getting "sooted up". I would not put an ALH manifold on a BEW.

Eric

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
X2 what Eric says. The PD's don't soot up like the ALH's. That is, of course, if you don't lug them.

I've said it for years and repeat it here. Don't drive the engine hard below 2000 rpm. If you are running through the gears and shift with engine rpm below 2000, downshift and try again. If you do this, you WILL NEVER SOOT your engine's intake. Paddle shift an automatic, as they consistently shift too low. Set the automatics for the more aggressive performance settings, if you can.

I have an ALH with 250,000+ miles, follow my own advice, and the intake has never been cleaned, because it doesn't need to be cleaned.

BEW's are basically a clean intake manifold system with few issues. Leave it alone.

Last edited:

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
"I've said it for years and repeat it here. Don't drive the engine hard below 2000 rpm. If you are running through the gears and shift with engine rpm below 2000, downshift and try again. If you do this, you WILL NEVER SOOT your engine's intake." Franko6

This should be a sticky! I've said this 3 or 4 times over the last month,
maybe they'll believe you Franko, our little diesels need some revs to be happy.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
"I've said it for years and repeat it here. Don't drive the engine hard below 2000 rpm. If you are running through the gears and shift with engine rpm below 2000, downshift and try again. If you do this, you WILL NEVER SOOT your engine's intake." Franko6

This should be a sticky! I've said this 3 or 4 times over the last month,
maybe they'll believe you Franko, our little diesels need some revs to be happy.
You know I've been keeping this in mind while driving, at what engine speed do you typically shift at? I find myself at cruising speeds at 1800rpm a lot.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
I typically hit at least 3k rpm before shifting up. Driving hard, 4k.
Coming down, I downshift ~2k, throwing it around in corners, 2.5k.

My take; our diesels have a much narrower power
band range where they are comfortable than gassers.
That's why those big rigs have 6spd gearboxes with diff splitters.
Everybody grew up driving gas, and old habits die hard.

As Franko points out, keeping the revs up helps keep the intake clean,
hitting 4k+ helps keep the turbo clean. Work 'em a bit, you don't have
to beat on them, but don't baby them either.

My $.02

z14ben

TDI
2000 Jetta
You know I've been keeping this in mind while driving, at what engine speed do you typically shift at? I find myself at cruising speeds at 1800rpm a lot.
The one plus of a 4 speed auto is that it revs nice and high on the freeway :)

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The one plus of a 4 speed auto is that it revs nice and high on the freeway :)
Yeah... But I don't like being left stranded lol

I have a good tdi auto sitting in my garage, needs a new valve body on it though. Keeping it in case I want to swap it back into something. I didn't completely cut the harness up when I did my conversions.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah... But I don't like being left stranded lol

I have a good tdi auto sitting in my garage, needs a new valve body on it though. Keeping it in case I want to swap it back into something. I didn't completely cut the harness up when I did my conversions.

I actually managed to sell mine for a couple hundred bucks.
There are those who can't, or won't, drive a stick.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So last night on my way home from work, I drove my car with never having the rpms below 2k, I was amazed at the performance difference. Who knew I was driving my car wrong for almost two years :)

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
So last night on my way home from work, I drove my car with never having the rpms below 2k, I was amazed at the performance difference. Who knew I was driving my car wrong for almost two years :)

Lol. Simple ehh. (I think I just made a convert, {;o) )

Now start cleaning your turbo,,, that'll wake it up too.

DMan1198

TDI
02 VW Jetta
That's why those big rigs have 6spd gearboxes with diff splitters.
Diff splitters are pretty old technology, and I’ve never seen one on a truck built in the last 30 years. Trucks these days with eatons have a 5 speed main box, and 2-3 speed auxiliary boxes allowing them to split gears, and give two ranges depending on model (10 speeds just have a range split), the most you’ll see is an 18 speed though (with a pretty stellar 14ish:1 low, low gear). Neat thing about them is they have the same rpm drop across every gear.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
"Diff splitters are pretty old technology,"

Lol, well I'm the same. That's why I like the .717 5th, the rpm drop
through the gears is close to the same. Had a .658, but that was too
much of a hit for 4th to 5th.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Funny, I see diff splitters quite often still. Definitely not on every truck, but I'd say probably one in five. Usually on the higher horsepower options that are rated for heavier loads.