ABS Light on

LightningBug

TDI
1.9 Beetle
Had an ABS light on on my '02 beetle. Hooked up the computer, Left Rear speed sensor. No problem. Drove that way for a while. Wife wanted the car so I thought I would replace it before she went. NOT a 10 minute job! (Are any of them?) Finally got it, hooked up the computer and reset the code. Now the brake light is on. Checked for codes, none. Checked the fluid level and switch, works fine. Checked E-brake switch, fine. Drive above 5 mph and starts beeping. Everything seems to be working fine, but no codes and this stupid light won't go out. What else triggers the brake light?

Odd thing about the codes, I also have the airbag light on. When I first got the software I swear it showed a problem with the seatbelt circuit, but now it doesn't even connect to the airbag and a full scan shows no faults.

What gives? I have the latest version of VCDS, 18.9.

hollowhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon 5 speed(2)2000 vw beetle tdi automatic
Check the fuses on top of the battery. Also check the plug on that fuse lock.make sure the connection is clean.

LightningBug

TDI
1.9 Beetle
Forgot to mention that I had checked all of the fuses, but I went back and checked them again. Everything was good. I did not follow the wiring harness to check for breaks. Still stuck on the fact that I can no longer communicate with the airbag system. Wondering if there is a problem with the latest software update.

LightningBug

TDI
1.9 Beetle
Ok, so I re-checked all of the fuses. I re-connected to the system and tried to scan and read faults. Nothing found. Dis-connected the battery, re-connected and scanned. Talked to the airbag module, cleared intermittent seat belt circuit fault. First time the airbag light has ever been off! Still nothing with the break light. No codes showing. Ran through the ABS function just for kicks, still nothing. I would just ignore but the system beeps at me when I start driving. I guess this weekend I need to try and pull the E-brake switch again and ring out the harness. Would really be nice if this rain would stop so I can build my barn and have someplace warm and dry to work on this silly thing. Why couldn't things break when it's warm out?

hollowhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon 5 speed(2)2000 vw beetle tdi automatic
Did you check the three wire plug that plugs to the fuse block on top of the battery?

LightningBug

TDI
1.9 Beetle
The wha? Oh, yea, there is another connector there! Yes, checked connector, wires solid, connection good. Fuses good, clean solid connections. 12v either side.
Really getting frustrated with this thing. Looks like it's going to sit for another winter. (Starting to think it just doesn't like the cold.) Last year it was the brakes, this year the brake light.
Fireplace insert is giving me the same kind of issues. Starting to get a complex.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
The wha? Oh, yea, there is another connector there! Yes, checked connector, wires solid, connection good. Fuses good, clean solid connections. 12v either side.
Really getting frustrated with this thing. Looks like it's going to sit for another winter. (Starting to think it just doesn't like the cold.) Last year it was the brakes, this year the brake light.
Fireplace insert is giving me the same kind of issues. Starting to get a complex.
try repositioning the sensor for the lever, and maybe the rear sensor needs to be bypassed, if jumping the pins in the plugh front or rear works just need to be conscious of the brakes.

LightningBug

TDI
1.9 Beetle
Not sure what you are refering to, the e-brake switch works fine. Position is good. If I remember correctly it is open when the lever is down, shorted when e-brakes are engaged. If you jumper the switch it would act like the e-brake is on all the time. There is only one switch on the e-brake lever.

LightningBug

TDI
1.9 Beetle
Ok, here we go. Got so frustrated with this stupid brake light on that I finally got a Haynes manual and traced the wiring. First off the brake warning light on the dash is ONLY controlled by the emergency brake lever switch. This is only an indicator to warn you when the lever is up. I did get reminded that when the emergency brake is on the daytime running lights get turned off. This was my first clue, the DRL did NOT turn off. The schematic pointed to fuse #5 in the main block. The diagram card in the door of the fuseblock cover did not show this. Fuse #5 was blown. Hey! The e-brake indicator is off! I also found that this fuse runs to the cruise control, and the mirror control in the door. This is where it gets, um, frustrating? When I replaced the wheel sensor for the ABS I also replaced a broken mirror control switch. I believe that I got the wrong switch because it gets very warm after a while. I got a switch for heated mirrors and I don't believe I have them.

So after all of this I learned to pick up a repair manual as well as the computer reader and software for these cars. My airbag light is on again, intermittent drivers side seatbelt circuit. VCDS does not see the airbag module when I check all codes, but I can access it directly and reset the code.