Volkswagen AAC (TDI Truck)

MiksTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GLS Galactic Blue
Has Anybody seen this yet? I did the search thing

Global Concepts (Part 2)
Volkswagen AAC

According to Volkswagen, its Advanced Activity Concept (AAC) combines the functions of a pickup with the luxury of a top-class sedan. As far back as the C-pillars, a load-bearing bodyshell is used. The load platform and rear axle are supported on side chassis members. The AAC's doors are unlocked by a remote control that must be inserted in a special holder on top of the dashboard to start the engine. A multifunctional navigation guidance display with a 7-inch color screen comes to life on top of the instrument panel when the ignition is switched on. Since the four-door truck has no B-pillars, the front seats feature integrated seat belts. The concept's V10 engine has twin variable turbine-blade-geometry turbochargers and a balance shaft. It develops 230 kW (313 hp) at 4000 rpm and a remarkably high peak torque of 750 N/m (553 lb/ft). Fuel injection is by a pump-injector system developed jointly by Volkswagen and Bosch. The cylinder-selective system can operate at pressures beyond 200 MPa (29 ksi) so that the diesel is finely atomized and good combustion is ensured. Pilot injection is employed to reduce the typically hard sound of the diesel combustion process. Drive is through a six-speed automatic with Tiptronic and an electronic stability program is fitted. Independent double-wishbone suspension at all four wheels is augmented by an air suspension with three position settings.

VWannabe

Veteran Member
This was the precursor to the Tourag. I don't know if any else was done about this after the Tourag came out, but it was the concept vehicle to the Tourag.

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
Too bad they don't make a Caddy (Golf pickup) like they did 20 years ago. A little pickup with a 100hp TDI for $20k would probably be a hot seller. It would need a "TurboDiesel" badge on the side so it would make people think it was a mini Cummins!

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
I'd rather have a Saveiro TDI. (edit: than this, McBrew is right on the money.)

(Note: There's no such thing, the Saveiro is built on the Gol platform, which is made for Brazil (and also sold in other parts of South and Central America, and Mexico), which bans diesel cars and discourages diesel pickups.)

Edit: FWIW, McBrew, they do sell a Caddy, based on the Golf, in Europe. It's not a pickup, though - it's a cargo van.

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Way too much motor to be worth the cost. 150 hp and 300 lb ft is perfect for most truck owners. It's a nice looking concept, though.

bhtooefr

TDI
None

That, with a TDI, is what I want.

However, they only get gassers. But, there's a 2.0T...

And, if they can get a 2.0T under the hood, then they can get a TDI under the hood... Hmm...

The only problem is that the only Gol-platform vehicle we got here in the US is the Fox, a long time ago. Those were on the BX1F and BX1F2 platforms (BX platform, version 1, facelift, and BX platform, version 1, second facelift). The current vehicles (MY2006+) are on the BX4 platform.

touaregv10tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDi,2000 Beetle TDi, 2016 BMW X5 Diesel, 2004 Touareg V10 TDi,2015 Beetle TDi, 2005 Jetta TDi

bhtooefr

TDI
None
This is the Gol, but I'm thinking the instru cluster will come out of a NB for a swap like this:

VWannabe

Veteran Member
I'd rather have a Saveiro TDI. (edit: than this, McBrew is right on the money.)
You are right on the money. I have said this a few times on this board. This would be a hot seller with the TDI. Many people would like to buy a small truck since most trucks aren't really used as such per se. And if the current VW four-cylinder engines fit into the engine bay, I don't see why the TDI would not.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Actually, I'd like to see the Gol end up here as the Fox, as well as the Saveiro (Fox Pickup?). It'd be a good, cheap, reliable car. Wait a minute, what was VW supposed to be?

Oh, yeah, oversized, overpriced, unreliable crap with bells and whistles that nobody really needs. :rolleyes:

istewart

Veteran Member
I'm still waiting to see the V10 TDI used in a vehicle actually worthy of it. Sorry, but big ol' luxury barges like the Touareg and Phaeton just don't do it for me. Stick it in something lightweight and put all that torque to work providing mindblowing acceleration.

Also, I hear there's a guy in Nevada who regularly swaps 1.9 TDIs into Rabbit pickups and Vanagons (plus Vanagon pickups! which beat that AAC thing all to hell) and sells them. My mom sold a '90 Vanagon to him for that very purpose. Forgot what his website was, though.

Sinner

Veteran Member
TDI
none
VW Saveiro TDi, 45 MPG, lotsa torque, big "DIESEL" sticker in the back, a little less engine insulation (so DIESEL clatter can be haerd)... mmm.... will sell good for sure.

"Yup y'all, itsa German Cummins, alright.Wanna feel the torque? Holdon, Whatch this!"

I can really see myself driving a pick up like this.

Matt_OToole

Veteran Member
TDI
none -- car free for now!
Just what the world needs... sheesh!

Seriously, a real replacement for the Caddy/Rabbit pickup would be great. VW has gone too upscale for that though.

I still think VW should do a "New Squareback" panel van, sort of a Bug meets PT Cruiser. Every delivery and service business would want one, for the advertising value *and* the 50 MPG.

Last edited:

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
Yup y'all, itsa German Cummins, alright.
Don't you know anything? All the good ol' boys think it's pronounced (and spelled) Cummings! I can't imagine driving a car or truck around for 10 years and not be able to spell the word that is on either side of it. Oh, well... I'll just keep driving my Golph and Sprynter.

iamwardicus

TDI
none yet...
That RAV4 fighter looks sorta interesting. I'm not the biggest fan of certain exterior looks - or the funky looking instrument panel - but overall that's a nice lookin vehicle. give me a 2.0l twincharger diesel and i'd be all for it! actually that type of engine would be nice in most any compact/subcompact car or some small pickup (drop one into a ford ranger! that'd be awesome!). well, enough dreaming :p

Last edited:

solarmike

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Beetle TDI, Vanagon Syncro with front and rear lockers, non viscous coupler, with decoupler waiting for a TDI swap
The guy in Nevada is...

I believe the guy in Nevada who does the TDI swap into Vanagons is zsimports.com. He has a lot of interesting stuff. I am planning a TDI swap into my Syncro Vanagon. :D I can't wait! Although I will most likely have the guys from Fastforward do it for me. If you need parts or engines that are hard to find then zsimports.com is the place to go

Mike
Bend, OR

TylerSales

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 New Beetle
I would love seeing a bunch of new VW lightweight pickup trucks with the bed taken off and duallies put on the rear like all of those POS nissan and datsun trucks!!! That will be the day.

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
The twin-turbo TDI V10 would be too much for a small pickup. I say put in the regular TDI with possibly a little more juice (say between 115-130hp). This would be perfectly acceptable for a small to medium sized pickup. Unfortunately, big is what is selling at this point. So they might be better off putting out a full-size luxury type pickup. In this case, I say go with the V10 TDI engine. I don't think it will happen though. The americans and the Japs have the small.medium sized pickup market pretty locked up. The SUV market just became big because people didn't like the stigma of driving a Mini-van and they liked the look of the SUV. SUVs would also be able to pull in a lot more $$$. Most lux/full-size SUVs go for over 40-50k and on up. My wife wanted an SUV and I told her she was an idiot. I got her one of the Chevy Uplander "cross-over" mini-vans. Pretty nice van and it does a little better than an SUV with 15 city/24 hwy. Now she is sorry she got that and wishes she had something more economical.

Bottom Line: Most picup owners in the US are either Ford/Chevy/Dodge (Good old boys?) guys, or they are already loyal to Toyota/Nissan. We will see what happens to Honda since they released one of those new Ridgeline pickups. It would be nice to see a Diesel in a small to medium sized pickup though.