My oil analysis- Feed back please?

Diesel Freak

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 02, Gal Blue
Hey all- i'd like to get some feedback from all of you experts out there!

Fe 22
Cr 2
Pb 6
Cu 4
Sn 0
Al 13
Ni 2
Ag 0
Mn 4
Si 7
B 39
Na 5
Mg 25
Ca 4308
Ba 0
P 1225
Zn 1372
Mo 0
Ti 0
V 0
Cd 0

Neg Glycol
<0.05 % Water
<1.0 % Fuel
40 degrees C Na
100 degrees C 13.5
Na % solids
<1.0 Soot
10.0% OXD
2.9% NOX
12.7 TBN

This was my 10,000 mile oil change information. A well known 10-40W. I am running an elephant hose and epsolinated + an oild piper panel drop in filter.

Do these numbers sound good, bad or ugly?

I appreciate all of your inputs

DF

[ July 10, 2002, 23:12: Message edited by: Diesel Freak ]

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver (Sold). 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Tiptronic (daughter's)
Fantastic indeed! A TBN over 12.7 after 10,000 miles and <1% soot is remarkable! Looks like Amsoil's 10W-40 synthetic.

[ July 11, 2002, 17:33: Message edited by: spoilsport ]

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
diesel freak,

This is an extremely good analysis with the Amsoil 10w-40 (I recognize the additive chemistry and of course I sold you the stuff
). It normally takes 10k-15k miles for the wear pattern to settle down in these engines, so you can actually expect these numbers to go down a bit more. I would not expect the iron levels to drop however, since they are already very low.

Geoff is correct, you could easily run this same oil for another 10k miles with just a filter change. There is very little oxidation/nitration and the TBN has hardly dropped at all ....

TooSlick

www.lubedealer.com/Dixie_Synthetics

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
look fantastic

if you drained the oil you drained perfrectly good oil out - you could probably go 20k without thinkin about it. Change the filter at 10k and keep driving

(wrong forum BTW)

S

SkyPup

OXD is for the chemical oxidation of the basestock due to exposure to high temperature, chemical contamination and conversion, high mechanical shear and is indicative of the total oxidative degradation of the oil.

Yours is excellent, showing you have plenty of reserve and that your engine is running cool and not cooking the oil into coke, crud. sludge, gunk, etc.

Your NOX is also super excellent, showing that the basestock has not been nitrated hardly at all and has a long way to go before it deteroiates.

It doesn't get any better that your results, they are excellent.

Amsoil 10W-40 is dynomite!

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
Hi SP, I don't get into the oil wars but, I was wondering if the majority of the Delvac tests are close to these great results? Thanks and Later!

TDI Believer

Responsible For Global Warming
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
That is one of the best analyses I've seen here. The high TBN made it a dead giveaway that you're using Amsoil. I'll be doing an oil change on my car next weekend and Amsoil 10W-40 is what I intend to use now that I've seen your analysis.

M

mickey

Looks like a typically excellent Amsoil analysis. And just 7 ppm silicone after 10K...with a Piper Cross foam filter! That's also typical.

Keep doing what you're doing.

-mickey

M

mickey

Hi SP, I don't get into the oil wars but, I was wondering if the majority of the Delvac tests are close to these great results? Thanks and Later!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">They'd be the same numbers with Delvac 1, except that the TBN would be slightly lower. It starts out lower in the first place.

-mickey

S

SkyPup

Mickey's right, gotta love that Amsoil and the PiperX foam filter!