ANy experience with Cofap Struts/Shocks

NYTDIBoy

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS; 2013 Passat SE 6SP
Does anyone have experience with the Cofap Struts and shocks as offered on TDIParts.com? Mine are need of replacing and I'm thinking of a set of these. I had previously bought a set of Bilsteins from them and I was not that impressed with them. They seemed overly harsh on the crappy highways I drive everyday. Any first hand reviews would be greatly appreciated.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Cofap are pretty much an OEM unit. If you want to fork up some dough...go with the Koni Special Reds. Many have described those as the units that should have gone on the car from the factory. Great handling without too harsh of a ride. Think of the Koni Reds as an OEM+ unit.

They are not cheap, but carry a lifetime warranty and are well-liked. I just ordered up a set for my car and will get them on Wednesday. I'm hoping to have them installed next weekend and will report back on those. They were on sale up until Oct 31st...which is frankly the only way I could justify the price.

NYTDIBoy

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS; 2013 Passat SE 6SP
That's the thing, I'm not really interested in spending a ton of cash on a car that's got 210,000 miles and I put 3,000 miles/month on it. I saw the cofap's and thought that might be the ticket, I am not interested in razor sharp handling, more like a comfortable ride on the potholed roads I drive everyday. I was a little suspicious of the cofap's because of their cheap price. Just wanted to see if anybody had any first hand experience with them!

TDICADDGUY said:
Cofap are pretty much an OEM unit. If you want to fork up some dough...go with the Koni Special Reds. Many have described those as the units that should have gone on the car from the factory. Great handling without too harsh of a ride. Think of the Koni Reds as an OEM+ unit.

They are not cheap, but carry a lifetime warranty and are well-liked. I just ordered up a set for my car and will get them on Wednesday. I'm hoping to have them installed next weekend and will report back on those. They were on sale up until Oct 31st...which is frankly the only way I could justify the price.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
OEM or those Cofaps are the way to go if you are just interested in replacing worn suspension parts and driving normally. Even Monroe are pretty good. Make sure you replace the strut and shock mounts too.

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
NYTDIBoy said:
That's the thing, I'm not really interested in spending a ton of cash on a car that's got 210,000 miles and I put 3,000 miles/month on it. I saw the cofap's and thought that might be the ticket, I am not interested in razor sharp handling, more like a comfortable ride on the potholed roads I drive everyday. I was a little suspicious of the cofap's because of their cheap price. Just wanted to see if anybody had any first hand experience with them!
Well in that case, yes I would absolutely go with the Cofap units. Good bang for the buck and should fit your needs well.

LegalRod

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI, vented, Frank06 head
I installed the COFAP Strut kit from Metalmanparts three years ago on my buddy's car and it is still going strong. It has kept its height and they are stiff enough. I have another car with Monroe struts and shocks and the COFAP seem better in my view.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I went with the Beef on a Budget setup from IDParts.com and could not be any happier. There is a significant cost difference between the Koni's and OEM equivalent, but the Koni's do have lifetime warranty.