She won't Crank!

CountryGirl

TDI
2002 Jetta 2.0
Hi, it's me again!
Now my 2002 jetta GLS 2.0L WONT CRANK!!
It's wont even turn over, it's like the battery is dead- but it isn't.
Also, when I turn the key to try & crank it--- The gearshift lever (automatic)
makes a clicking noise every time I turn key. I sure hope that someone can help me with this. I thought it was bad w/ out my radio before. But being without my wheels is rough. Please Please Help!!!!!

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
It's not uncommon for the big wire that runs from battery positive connection to starter to corrode off at the starter connection. It's happened to mine before.
No clue on the clicking at shift lever, but perhaps it has something to do with the Park interlock switch (which could also make for a no cranky situation).

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
If you’re sure the battery is good. When our diesels do this it is often the short fat wire that runs from the starter body to the solenoid that’s mounted directly on top of the starter.

You turn the key everything lights up on the dash and there’s just nothing not a noise of any kind from the starter. Have you went through the no start thread? Some of it will not apply to a gasser but the part about the electrical certainty will.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=199398

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I would ask the TCM if it is seeing the car in P or N. If not, it won't allow it to crank.