98 NewBee TDi Ignition Switch Issue

UFO_TDi

TDI
1998 New Beetle TDi
Hi All,
I had a major electrical failure on the road yesterday, starting with wipers not working, then turn signals, horn, DRLs, etc....

This seemed like a familiar issue from some years ago and when I started tracing what didn't work, it all traced back the the #30 lead which is the switched 12 v power controlled by the ignition switch. My question is... has there been any recall on ignition switches in 98 NewBee TDi's?

Second question is... what's the (ballpark) expense of a new ignition switch and approximate hours to install (based on Factory Repair Manual)? TIA for your help with this.
mit freundlichen Gruessen,
Jan

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
UFO_TDi said:
(snip) My question is... has there been any recall on ignition switches in 98 NewBee TDi's? (snip)
__. Not that I've seen but we've heard of quite a few switches failing like yours did. In some cases, it appears that people were hanging lots of other keys (house keys, office keys, other car keys, etc.) on their key chains. This is a bad idea - keep the key ring on your ignition key as light as possible.

__. Sorry, can't help with info on price of switch and time/cost to replace.

SootyYellow

TDI
'99 New Beetle TDI, '00 New Beetle 2.0SC
That's the symptom of faulty ignition switch. No recall, $27 for the switch and I replaced it in my bug within 10 minutes. Visit www.newbeetle.org plenty of info there for your bug. No need to remove the steering wheel for MkIV.

Last edited:

UFO_TDi

TDI
1998 New Beetle TDi
You ain't gonna believe this but...

Y'All ain't gonna believe this... but... :confused:
All of the electrical components on the # 30 Lead just started working again, tonight... :cool:
Go figure!! The difference between tonight and last weekend is it's dry now...
So this suggests to me it's NOT the ignition switch, but perhaps the Load Reduction Relay (J59 on page 97-20 of the Bentley Manual for '98 & '99 New Beetles). I don't know where this relay is, but suspect it's somewhere in the engine compartment or in a location subject it to moisture.

Can anyone tell me where to find this little puppy? It's clear from the Bentley Manual that it controls the # 30 Lead but it's absolutely NOT clear where this Mother-Pupper is hiding... TIA for your help.
Jan
Shiney-side up, Rubber-side down, it just rolls better that way!! :eek:http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/images/smilies/7cycle.gif

Thank you all for your replies... and no, I have a later style key with nothing on it to weight it down...

UFO_TDi

TDI
1998 New Beetle TDi
Fixed BUT...

The UFO is fixed now...
new Ignition switch, and new connector... the old connector (and 2 wires) was fried in the area where the # 30 Lead and the # 75 lead came out of it. Does anyone know what that # 30 lead connects to (remember there are 2 # 30 leads, I'm talking about the one adjacent to the # 75 lead on the switch)? TIA for your help with this one.
Jan